PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR for games

Quick420
07-16-08, 09:53 AM
I am a little confused by the website:headexplode: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
I was going to purchase the headset gizmo that attaches to a baseball hat to have a little fun with GRID,but I'm not sure it will work.The pro3 or pro4 sets are much more expensive,but they also come with some snazzy transmitter/receiver units.If they headsets require the trams/receiver to operate why sell them without one? Maybe they are meant to be replacements? Does anybody have experience with TrackIR? I was thinking about just oredering the pro4 set,but new car tires and brakes kinda put a stop to that idea.Whats the cheapest route I can get into the trackir scene?

Revs
07-16-08, 09:59 AM
The TrackIR Pro 4 is the full kit. I got one last week for FSX and I've tried it with Grid and it works well, but only in the inside view. They are 110-130 over hear. I would put a post in the FSX thread to ask one of the guys where the best place to get it from is. Where are you?

There are several kits available. The one I got has the main IR device and the 3 reflector thing that clips on a baseball cap. There are a few accesories available to replace the basic reflector, some are included in the more expencive kits.

MaXThReAT
07-16-08, 01:30 PM
I've had the TrackIR4 about 3 years and cannot play FSX, GTR2, CMR04 without it. I even use it for games like swat or Bioshock sometimes oblivion. You can look around on your horse while traveling in a different direction just by turning your head.
If you have the means I highly recommend a TrackIR4 Pro.
I got mine from here: http://www.edimensional.com/

Bearclaw
07-16-08, 01:39 PM
I am about to purchase one for mainly use with FSX. I have heard that once you start using it, you can't go without it.

Hercules
07-16-08, 05:40 PM
Sorry for the sligh off-topic, but i saw the E-D Wired 3D Glasses on that website.
Anyone used one of these? Do they do what they promises?

Mmm Stalker and Crysis 3D.....

Scendore
07-16-08, 06:09 PM
I am a little confused by the website:headexplode: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
I was going to purchase the headset gizmo that attaches to a baseball hat to have a little fun with GRID,but I'm not sure it will work.The pro3 or pro4 sets are much more expensive,but they also come with some snazzy transmitter/receiver units.If they headsets require the trams/receiver to operate why sell them without one? Maybe they are meant to be replacements? Does anybody have experience with TrackIR? I was thinking about just oredering the pro4 set,but new car tires and brakes kinda put a stop to that idea.Whats the cheapest route I can get into the trackir scene?

Not sure what your talking about in terms of Transmitter... Tracker IRs are Infrared Cameras that see in that spectrum. Using the "Clip" that goes on your headset eliminates the need for a baseball cap and you can turn off the IR leds on the Tracker Unit. The clip has 3 positional IR leds built into it and it's powered through a USB. It's supposed to give you a little better tracking which to be honest I doubt.

Normally you wear a ball cap (some guys don't like doing that so thats why they made the clip) and on the ball cap you place a Metal Reflector it fits right over the brim of the hat. It has 3 reflective strips in certain positions and the camera can see the IR reflecting and it in turn gives you control of your views via your head.

What I really like about it is that it's a very natural thing to do... Turn your head left up down what ever and it does it. Now some might think wow I will turn my head away from the Monitor. The fact is you only need to turn a little bit and the software will turn your head much farther in the game. The software is fully configurable and you can setup the curves to your liking. You can even setup dead zones so you don't have to hold your head perfectly still.

Here is a couple things you should be aware of... The Pro3 (which they don't sell anymore) didn't automatically come with a software enhancement called "Vector Pro". This software was developed after the Pro3 came out and it was an addon. What it does is it adds complete 6 degrees of freedom for games that support it. (Go on the site and you will see the massive list of games that it supports) Meaning if you lean in it zooms if you lean out it goes out. If you tilt your head it tilts your view and it works VERY well.

When they came out with the TrackerIR4 Pro it automatically came with the software and to be honest you want Vector anyways. Even if you're going to use it in an older game if you didn't have Vector you would lean to the left or right and it would interpret it as you where TURNING your head left or right. Which means you had to be careful.

For a Flight Sim dork like me I can assure you it's without a doubt one of the best game devices ever made. It works as advertised and it works well. I've bought 3 of them so far. I sold my TrackerIR2 a long time ago and I have a 3 and 4.

You should look at all the other games it supports. It has a diagram showing how many axis it supports in each game.

FSX supports full 6DOF and its spectacular. They have a zillion videos showing how it works

Scendore
07-16-08, 06:10 PM
I am about to purchase one for mainly use with FSX. I have heard that once you start using it, you can't go without it.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT FOR ONE SECOND.... It's really is that good man... You will love it. It will take you a couple days to get used to it but its very natural and in no time you will have complete control of all your views. Also you will quickly realize how much you move your head in games.

hehe

Scendore
07-16-08, 06:15 PM
Sorry for the sligh off-topic, but i saw the E-D Wired 3D Glasses on that website.
Anyone used one of these? Do they do what they promises?

Mmm Stalker and Crysis 3D.....

The problem I heard with these is driver issues.. Nvidia was the only one making drivers that worked with the set. I have no clue where that is now. It could be you have to use some super old driver so do some research