PDA

View Full Version : ATI (AMD) and nVidia slapped with class action lawsuit

Shamrock
07-16-08, 11:10 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/16/nvidia-amd-accused-price-fixing

http://www.techpowerup.com/65970/ATI_(AMD)_and_NVIDIA_Fix_Prices_in_the_US_Class_Ac tion_Slapped_Against_them.html

WOW!!!

*EDIT* Move to General Hardware?

hell_of_doom227
07-16-08, 11:26 PM
Why they don't put in court oil companies for high gas price...:thumbdwn:

Roliath
07-17-08, 12:31 AM
I could imagine something like this had to have happened at one point, but i wonder if there's any truth in the documents.

Mr_LoL
07-17-08, 01:17 AM
If it means more cheaper cards for us I hope they lose.

CaptNKILL
07-17-08, 01:42 AM
Hmm...

Better prices are good, but honestly, I don't think either of these companies need this right now.

bacon12
07-17-08, 02:19 AM
Why they don't put in court oil companies for high gas price...:thumbdwn:

That is what these lawyers should be doing, but look at the the bottom of that first link, and you will see who is crying like a bitch.

Complainants against the pair include Microsoft, Dell and Apple amongst others.

Two of which are Monopolies in their business. Like MS crying because of the google/yahoo ad pact.. err if they are allowed to do that they control 80% of the ad revenue. Gimma a freaking break.

Toss3
07-17-08, 05:38 AM
Already posted (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1714345&postcount=36)... :bleh:

Madpistol
07-17-08, 09:31 AM
Hmm...

Better prices are good, but honestly, I don't think either of these companies need this right now.

AMD doesn't need it right now. They're in the "red" (silly little puns) as it is. Didn't Nvidia release some figure in the Billions of dollars that it took for R&D for the G80? I seriously doubt that they were price fixing. This newest addition of high end GPU's are just seriously complex. Besides, the G92 architecture was smaller and used less memory, thus reducing costs. This newest generation of GPU's are back up with the G80 though in terms of complexity. Besides, didn't they learn anything from the memory price fixing fiasco just a short time ago?

My Bull**** meter is tingling. ;)

4q2
07-17-08, 10:36 AM
Heh, if there is any kind of settlement as a result of the suit I'll be sitting pretty with all the cards I've bought over the years.

azanon
07-17-08, 12:56 PM
Already posted (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1714345&postcount=36)... :bleh:

Oh, he probably missed that because you posted it in a completely unrelated thread.

azanon
07-17-08, 12:57 PM
So far, it doesn't seem to be affecting their stock price that much, so maybe its not such a big deal.

damianraver
07-17-08, 01:08 PM
United States of SUE HAPPY!

That should be out new nations's name. Seriously, there are tons of companies out there with "price cute" that are in the thousands. VGA cards are merely in the hundred dollar range. WTF has america come to.

Amaury
07-17-08, 04:44 PM
i find this lawsuit ridiculous. these graphics companies can charge whatever the hell they want for their products. hell, any company should be able to charge whatever they want. that's what a free market economy should be. the market will ultimately decide what they price their products for. unless we are talking about commodities, like food and gasoline, which should be protected, we are talking about f__kin graphics cards. i wonder who started this suit. a bunch of losers who can't afford a $600 graphics card. i hate hearing about lawsuits like this. i love our country but our judicial system, especially these $hark lawyers, suck.

Raladdar
07-17-08, 06:09 PM
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202422773207

There's another link to the article so you can put the BS meters away.

Of course companies can charge whatever they like for thier products. Our options as consumers are that we can not buy the product or buy the product from another company. If the product is only provided by 2 companies (good luck finding a product on the shelf by anyone other than ATI or Nvidia) and those 2 companies are are colluding to keep the price artificially high reguardless of market influences we have major problems (illegal activity?).

We have laws in place to govern against monopolies to promote fair market practices.

ATI + Nvidia = a monopoly

Madpistol
07-17-08, 07:04 PM
It's not a monopoly if two companies are competing for profit. However, if they're collaborating on collective pricing of each graphics card released based on how much money each company stands to make, that's when the battle gets "legal". It's just like the memory scandal not too long ago; the companies are being urged to set "high" prices so that they will earn more money. When this happens, both companies win, and the consumer loses... That's not how this market should work. The consumer should always win due to competition keeping prices down. That's the whole point of our economic system.

When both companies set artificially high prices, we all lose. If it's true, then Nvidia and AMD/ATI have a long battle ahead of them.

damianraver
07-18-08, 11:14 AM
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202422773207

There's another link to the article so you can put the BS meters away.

Of course companies can charge whatever they like for thier products. Our options as consumers are that we can not buy the product or buy the product from another company. If the product is only provided by 2 companies (good luck finding a product on the shelf by anyone other than ATI or Nvidia) and those 2 companies are are colluding to keep the price artificially high reguardless of market influences we have major problems (illegal activity?).

We have laws in place to govern against monopolies to promote fair market practices.

ATI + Nvidia = a monopoly

WOW you need a dictionary for Monopoly buddy! If AMD/ATI went out of business and Nvidia was left that would be Monopoly. Get your facts right before you start typing. Sorry don't mean to sound rude but this is over graphics cards. If you have such a BIG issue with just two companies...

Maybe you should make your own VGA cards and start selling them. Do you even know why there is only two companies? If, not then I shal explain. In the world of technology, it costs money and brains. you can have one or the other. To have both you need alot of $$$ to invest in creation of products.

ATI/AMD and Nvidia is so far ahead now that even new comers won't be able to compete. Is this ATI/AMD and Nvidia's fault? No. this law suit is more for sue happy America, and yes I love this country but what it has became is pretty shameful. Anyone will try to sue you for anything! Im sure if someone can sue you for stepping on their shoe's they would

Again, you gotta PAY TO PLAY! This goes for ANY manufacturer! Also you need to understand that a VGA card is not a necessary thing in life and for this law suit to happen is just straight REDONKULOUS! So should I start a law suiot with car companies too? For over charging on the MSRP prices? You sir need a reality check. If you want the best things in life oyu gotta pay. If the price drops, thats just normal. Price drops on VGA cards have been going on for as long as they have been out. Right now people are so desperate for money they will sue for any dumb reason.

Not to pre-judge you but you seem to sound like a sue happy person. :s

rflair
07-18-08, 11:36 AM
If both companies were in collusion to keep prices artificially high then they do deserve to be sued. If the trial finds them guilty good for us the consumers. I can't see how some people don't find two big companies possibly committing fraud against the consumer wrong.

Quick420
07-18-08, 12:27 PM
i find this lawsuit ridiculous. these graphics companies can charge whatever the hell they want for their products. hell, any company should be able to charge whatever they want. that's what a free market economy should be. the market will ultimately decide what they price their products for. unless we are talking about commodities, like food and gasoline, which should be protected, we are talking about f__kin graphics cards. i wonder who started this suit. a bunch of losers who can't afford a $600 graphics card. i hate hearing about lawsuits like this. i love our country but our judicial system, especially these $hark lawyers, suck.

+1

fivefeet8
07-18-08, 03:24 PM

The case doesn't even remotely question that companies can charge what they want. The suit alleges that both companies conspired to keep prices high to profit them. That's not what a free market economy should be.

Raladdar
07-18-08, 06:18 PM
WOW you need a dictionary for Monopoly buddy! If AMD/ATI went out of business and Nvidia was left that would be Monopoly. Get your facts right before you start typing. Sorry don't mean to sound rude but this is over graphics cards. If you have such a BIG issue with just two companies...

Maybe you should make your own VGA cards and start selling them. Do you even know why there is only two companies? If, not then I shal explain. In the world of technology, it costs money and brains. you can have one or the other. To have both you need alot of $$$ to invest in creation of products.

ATI/AMD and Nvidia is so far ahead now that even new comers won't be able to compete. Is this ATI/AMD and Nvidia's fault? No. this law suit is more for sue happy America, and yes I love this country but what it has became is pretty shameful. Anyone will try to sue you for anything! Im sure if someone can sue you for stepping on their shoe's they would

Again, you gotta PAY TO PLAY! This goes for ANY manufacturer! Also you need to understand that a VGA card is not a necessary thing in life and for this law suit to happen is just straight REDONKULOUS! So should I start a law suiot with car companies too? For over charging on the MSRP prices? You sir need a reality check. If you want the best things in life oyu gotta pay. If the price drops, thats just normal. Price drops on VGA cards have been going on for as long as they have been out. Right now people are so desperate for money they will sue for any dumb reason.

Not to pre-judge you but you seem to sound like a sue happy person. :s

mo·nop·o·ly /məˈnɒpəli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-nop-uh-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my meaning so I will try again. If there are only 2 companies that make product X and they decide to work together to manipulate the market to thier advantage, then they are in essence acting as one entity. One entity with total control of a market segment is a monopoly. There was that clear enough for you?

This has been an exceptionally cut-throat market for many years now back to the early 90's as far as I remember. A lot of companies have fallen due to competition. S3, Triton, Matrox, Rendition, 3Dfx, and others I am sure I have forgotten have either went under or are shadows of the companies they once were. So yes I am very aware of why there are only 2 companies.

A video card is not a necessary thing in life? Every PC needs a graphics chip of some form to power our standard user interface. How many businesses in today's day and age do you think would be impacted if PC's vanished? Think globally here.

Oh and to set the record straight, I have never sued anyone in my life, nor do I intend to. That however doesn't predispose me to bash every lawsuit that comes up. This seems to be a soap box of yours. Perhaps you should seek therapy to deal with these anger issues you have on the subject.