PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR MMO is Official!

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
07-17-08, 03:53 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/porfolio-com-lucasarts-and-bioware-building-kotor-mmo/

Portfolio.com just published a short excerpt of its interview with EA boss John Riccitiello who tells the site that it's "got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development" including "the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare." One doesn't need to connect too many dots to arrive at the conclusion that BioWare is returning to the Star Wars universe with a Knights of the Old Republic MMO

[Update: We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it – sounds like we can take off our skeptical glasses.]

Personally im not too happy... I hope there is still a KOTOR 3 in the works because I want to continue to the story...

CaptNKILL
07-17-08, 04:12 PM
Meh...

Can't even think of any other way to respond to this news...

nV`andrew
07-17-08, 04:25 PM
Could be interesting...but could also be a huge failure..

I'm also hoping for a KotOR 3

SH64
07-17-08, 04:30 PM
(dot)

Feyy
07-17-08, 04:50 PM
:DI liked kotor and this excites me , i seem to be the only one (sofahide)

blizzle
07-17-08, 05:03 PM
Meh indeed. Give us KOTOR3.

nekrosoft13
07-17-08, 05:44 PM
who cares, another MMO doomed to fail

Roliath
07-17-08, 06:03 PM

:-(

DRen72
07-17-08, 06:17 PM
I hate MMO's.

CaptNKILL
07-17-08, 06:29 PM

Yep.

Noriega
07-17-08, 06:52 PM
In korea they have some great MMOs like Perfect KO or A.V.A why we have only ****ty MMOs like fantasy or space ; / ?

ahheadlock
07-17-08, 06:53 PM
I hate MMO's.

yep

bring on KOTOR 3

Destroy
07-17-08, 07:01 PM
bring on KOTOR 3

Everyone wants a piece of that rich Warkraft pie.

KOTOR3 would be much better for gamers but the suits with their BMW payments think otherwise.

evox
07-17-08, 07:14 PM
Meh...

Can't even think of any other way to respond to this news...

+1

I hope they release KOTOR3, though.

Severian126
07-17-08, 07:23 PM
Business-wise, I think EA will do a KOTOR3 as well down the line, if only to reinforce the KOTOR MMO's universe even more. They'd be foolish not to capitalize on this. But who knows.

As for me, I'm looking forward to the KOTOR MMO. I haven't jumped on to any MMO since I quit WoW a year and a half ago, and I only dabbled with Conan for an hour before I got bored.

Retrolock
07-17-08, 07:27 PM
wow another MMO.

Hope nobody subscribes. That'll teach them.

shilk
07-17-08, 09:50 PM
All I have to say is...
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4738/huuuuuhgg3.gif

But when you think about it, Bioware will be adequately funded by subs to expand their team, hire more people, and make better/more games without hiring crap companies like DEMIURGE to do their ports. It would be entirely internally developed which I'm all for. Hell, LTI Gray Matter did an awesome job with Jade Empire - which had no patches, btw (aside from the Polish version). DEMIURGE have yet to release their first patch.

Seeing how popular KOTOR is they'd be foolish not to pursue it. All long as they keep DEMIURGE and OBSIDIAN out of it, I'm all for it. Heh.

In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.

Amuro
07-17-08, 11:38 PM
Do we get to fly starfighters as well, like in SWG?

K007
07-18-08, 03:43 AM
this sux...

sAnt@
07-18-08, 05:21 AM
EA: KOTOR MMO Coming from BioWare; PC Exclusive

In an interview with Portfolio.com, EA CEO John Riccitiello confirmed that BioWare is working on a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game, and it would “certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it.”

Riccitiello also states that the KOTOR MMO will “sidestep the consoles owned by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo,” presumably making it a PC exclusive.

To all the KOTOR fans–excited? Or would you rather have another single-player experience?

http://www.endsights.com/?p=85

Retrolock
07-18-08, 02:32 PM
(nana2)

Goodluck!

msxyz
07-19-08, 06:29 AM
Kotor without a Star War license and made by an unkown company would have been forgotten very soon. It's a C game at best, moral choice are laughable (the worst example of "manicheism" possible) and the story has so many cliches they're not even fun.

It never cease to amaze it how certain brands have the power to make people, more forgiving regarless of the crap they've been feed.

The more I look into Bioware recent histhory , the more I think their early successes were a product of the creative atmosphere they breathed at Black Isle Studios not of their skills. I know I'll get a lot of flak for having said this but I'm not the only one who believes Bioware and their games in recent times are one of the most overrated stuff around.

nutcrackr
07-19-08, 06:52 AM
I don't see many MMOs suriving very long with wow juggernaught. Not that I really care I don't play them.

CaptNKILL
07-19-08, 06:53 AM
Kotor without a Star War license and made by an unkown company would have been forgotten very soon. It's a C game at best, moral choice are laughable (the worst example of "manicheism" possible) and the story has so many cliches they're not even fun.

It never cease to amaze it how certain brands have the power to make people, more forgiving regarless of the crap they've been feed.

The more I look into Bioware recent histhory , the more I think their early successes were a product of the creative atmosphere they breathed at Black Isle Studios not of their skills. I know I'll get a lot of flak for having said this but I'm not the only one who believes Bioware and their games in recent times are one of the most overrated stuff around.

Eh, I don't agree.

KOTOR was an exceptional game. It was fun, the writing was excellent, the voice acting was movie quality, the RPG elements worked very well and it was long with a story worth playing through.

I'm not really biased toward old Black Isle or Bioware RPGs because I've only finished one game they were involved with, which was Fallout, and I only played and beat that last year (2 years after I played KOTOR). I've played Baldur's Gate and I recognize that they have relatively high standards and put out quality games though. Many developers that try to make games as deep or complex as theirs end up putting out games that are a buggy or inconsistent mess.

Whether they are overrated or not is up to each player I guess. I think they are among the best at what they do though.

Severian126
07-19-08, 03:07 PM
Bioware EARNED their reputation for churning out quality games, regardless of the universe it built its foundation on.

Ever wonder why before them no one made a decent D&D RPG? No one before them made a stellar Star Wars game? As for a space opera, Mass Effect stands out as one of the top ones.

It's certainly no fluke or luck on their part. They know what they are doing. So no, I don't think their game is overrated. Success always brings haters. That's just the way it goes.