PDA

View Full Version : Realtek adds "Alchemy" like support for HD Audio

Medion
07-17-08, 05:08 PM
3D SoundBack Beta 0.1

Realtek 3D SoundBack restores audio effects, including surround sound, reverberation, and spatial effects, for legacy game titles when running on Windows Vista.

Mirror 1 (ftp://152.104.238.19/pc/audio/3DSoundBack_Beta0.1.zip)
Mirror 2 (ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/3DSoundBack_Beta0.1.zip)
Mirror 3 (ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/3DSoundBack_Beta0.1.zip)

This is ONLY for those using HD Audio Codecs (including Azalia), does NOT currently work with AC'97, to my understanding. For those who need it, the latest HD Audio Driver for Vista, 1.98.

Mirror 1 (ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/Vista_R198.exe)
Mirror 2 (ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/Vista_R198.exe)
Mirror 3 (ftp://152.104.238.19/pc/audio/Vista_R198.exe)

MisterMister
07-17-08, 07:08 PM
Does this works along side alchemy? I already have it installed with my SB Audigy 2 SE.

Medion
07-17-08, 08:23 PM
Does this works along side alchemy? I already have it installed with my SB Audigy 2 SE.

No reason it should. Alchemy is for X-Fi/Audigy cards. This wrapper is for Realtek HD (onboard) audio.

nekrosoft13
07-17-08, 08:30 PM
wow, would never expect anything like that from realtek.

good work if it works

Medion
07-17-08, 08:51 PM
I've added some screenshots. The first thing I noticed was that it's basically like Alchemy. However, instead of the "add" feature of Alchemy, where you move the game from the disabled column, to the enabled column, you simply turn it on or off from its current location.

The "add game" interface is greatly improved over Alchemy. Whereas Alchemy forced you to input the damn registry path for a game, 3D SoundBack lets you browse your hard drive for it. Much simpler.

As with Alchemy, it will detect many games off the bat, but allow you to add the games it doesn't detect. Below is a list of games I had installed at the time, and what was detected.

Detected:
Diablo 2
Halo
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Unreal Tournament 2004

Not Detected:
Devil May Cry 4
Fable: The Lost Chapters

I'm fairly certain that DMC4 and Fable:TLC both use their own software sound anyway. So far I haven't tested anything other than Diablo 2, but the positional audio is still greyed out in game. So, it's clearly not working for Diablo 2 at the moment. Thankfully, there's a Feedback button. Simply highlight a game in the 3D SoundBack menu, click feedback, and it opens a form for that game. Just add your comments and click send.

Functionality is obviously still weak, as if the Beta version 0.1 didn't give that away already/ However, ease of use seems to be light years ahead of Alchemy, and that doesn't surprise me. Realtek has done a better job, IMO, of providing driver support. Still, they are very late to the party with this particular feature, a feature that Creative had ready to go around the time Vista came out.

nekrosoft13
07-17-08, 09:45 PM
alchemy doesn't need registry path, you can input directory as well.

good thing about registry path is that i can send you my alchemy.ini file you copy it over to your alchemy folder, and it will detect the games that i added. doesn't matter if my games are installed on drive D, and yours on drive G

Medion
07-17-08, 09:56 PM
alchemy doesn't need registry path, you can input directory as well.

Fair enough. However, the version of Alchemy I used (2nd to most recent release), didn't have a "browse" button for you to find a game's directory. 3D SoundBack does, and that's a nice usability feature. It's the little button on the right side, on the 2nd screenshot.