PDA

View Full Version : AMD big change, watch out Intel :)

Pages : [1] 2

Heinz68
07-17-08, 04:56 PM
Hector steps down, the reason: In the second quarter of 2008, AMD reported a net loss of $1.189 billion, or $1.96 per share."

CNNMoney.com (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/9d2211f8099dc94f8f60841a54)
AMD CEO steps down as chip maker struggles
AMD sends CEO Ruiz to executive chairman post as as chip maker's struggles deepen
July 17, 2008: 05:14 PM EST

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - The CEO of chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is stepping down.

Hector Ruiz had been just the second person to lead AMD after company founder Jerry Sanders. He'll be replaced by the chip maker's No. 2 executive, Dirk Meyer.

Ruiz has been instrumental in elevating AMD to become a more dangerous rival to Intel Corp. But ultimately he takes the blame for AMD's financial distress. The Silicon Valley company has racked up billions of dollars in losses stemming from an ill-timed acquisition and fierce competition from Intel.

Ruiz will remain on AMD's board of directors, where he had been chairman. His new title will be executive chairman.

bacon12
07-17-08, 05:57 PM
Its sad, but AMD is so far behind intel they would need a time machine catch up.

Redeemed
07-17-08, 06:06 PM
Its sad, but AMD is so far behind intel they would need a time machine catch up.

That's definitely debatable. The Phenom processors are excellent performers. Their only draw-back is price. They need to be considerably cheaper to sell better. I think AMD needs to do with their processors as ATi did with their GPUs- focus on the mainstream and low-end segments where all the money is at. If AMD shoots to take the performance crown from Intel in the high-end, they'll fail across the board. But if the shoot for parts that'll perform comparable or better than Intel's low-end and mainstream components, while costing less to produce they'll have a winner.

AthlonXP1800
07-17-08, 06:07 PM
Another disastrous Q2 result that almost got the company folded.

AMD CPU & GPU sales fell in Q2 compared to Q1 2008, K10 had failed and the new Radeon 4000 series hadnt helped boosted the GPU revenue AMD needed and it seemed that either cant turned the company around. Ruiz probably deeply regarded the worst mistake he made acquired ATI that send AMD in deep debt and he got the company now locked in default with $4.955bn debt in Q2 2008. AMD is now technically bankrupted with the capitalisation ratio of 77% in Q2 2008 when the company equity shrinked to $1.474bn, they lost a hell lot of equity compared to $2.990bn 6 months ago.

How much total net losses AMD made since now?

Q4 2006: $576m
Q1 2007: $611m
Q2 2007: $600m
Q3 2007: $396m
Q4 2007: $1,772m
Q1 2008: $358m
Q2 2008: $1,189m

Total net losses $5,502m in 7 quarters, that as much money lost compared to $5.4bn AMD acquired ATI.

AMD dont have much time left, it remain to be seen whether the new CEO Meyer have the magic wand to save AMD and turn the company around in 3 months by boost CPU and GPU sales, can he turn losses into profits and can he stop the equity disappear?

Redeemed
07-17-08, 06:22 PM
Another disastrous Q2 result that almost got the company folded.

AMD CPU & GPU sales fell in Q2 compared to Q1 2008, K10 had failed and the new Radeon 4000 series hadnt helped boosted the GPU revenue AMD needed and it seemed that either cant turned the company around. Ruiz probably deeply regarded the worst mistake he made acquired ATI that send AMD in deep debt and he got the company now locked in default with $4.955bn debt in Q2 2008. AMD is now technically bankrupted with the capitalisation ratio of 77% in Q2 2008 when the company equity shrinked to $1.474bn, they lost a hell lot of equity compared to $2.990bn 6 months ago.

How much total net losses AMD made since now?

Q4 2006: $576m
Q1 2007: $611m
Q2 2007: $600m
Q3 2007: $396m
Q4 2007: $1,772m
Q1 2008: $358m
Q2 2008: $1,189m

Total net losses $5,502m in 7 quarters, that as much money lost compared to $5.4bn AMD acquired ATI.

AMD dont have much time left, it remain to be seen whether the new CEO Meyer have the magic wand to save AMD and turn the company around in 3 months by boost CPU and GPU sales, can he turn losses into profits and can he stop the equity disappear?

I think it's very doable. Maybe not in just 3 months (if you're referring to making a complete turn-around). They need to focus on profits. High-performance low-cost CPUs is what they need. Why keep trying to ramp up the clock speeds on their current CPUs? Why not, instead, focus on low power consumption and even lower costs? Look at the Phenom9950- to my understanding it's just a 9850 with a 100Mhz over-clock. Instead, why not continue to lower the Phenom's and A64's power consumption and thus lower the cost? You can lower the power consumption by having lower clock speeds and/or less cache. In a sense, I'm suggesting they under-clock their CPUs. Instead of putting everything into a CPU than can be sold retail clocked at 3.x GHz... have that same chip sold at 2.5Ghz and sell it for $100 less or so. Make sense?

They need to just give up trying to take the performance crown from Intel and focus on low-power, low-cost chips that perform well. As is the Phenoms are stellar performers. My current Phenom is 200% more CPU than the average joe will need in a long time. If AMD keeps clocks where they're at while instead figuring out how to lower power-consumption and cost their chips would start selling better.

CaptNKILL
07-17-08, 06:33 PM
So, what exactly are they losing money on? I guess I never really understood that.

Where is over a billion dollars going in a few months?

Redeemed
07-17-08, 06:46 PM
So, what exactly are they losing money on? I guess I never really understood that.

Where is over a billion dollars going in a few months?

Possibly them trying to pay-off their monumental amount of debt. Last time I looked their debt was nearly as much as their total value (meaning they almost owed more than they're worth).

malachi1313
07-17-08, 07:26 PM
I think ATI should break off on their own. They always seemed profitable to me.

bacon12
07-17-08, 07:51 PM
That's definitely debatable. The Phenom processors are excellent performers. Their only draw-back is price. They need to be considerably cheaper to sell better. I think AMD needs to do with their processors as ATi did with their GPUs- focus on the mainstream and low-end segments where all the money is at. If AMD shoots to take the performance crown from Intel in the high-end, they'll fail across the board. But if the shoot for parts that'll perform comparable or better than Intel's low-end and mainstream components, while costing less to produce they'll have a winner.

Not knocking amd, but just stating the obvious fact they will soon be behind intel by two fab processes. The E8400 is not a high end CPU, and I went from amd's fastest dual core to it. If they had a similar one I would have stayed with amd.

I couldn't believe how nice the 45nm's are. Low heat low wattage FTW. Plus if I got an extra 1 mhz out of that X2 I was doing good. If they could somehow match intel's fab process there is no doubt the architecture would be a contender.

Redeemed
07-17-08, 08:26 PM
Not knocking amd, but just stating the obvious fact they will soon be behind intel by two fab processes. The E8400 is not a high end CPU, and I went from amd's fastest dual core to it. If they had a similar one I would have stayed with amd.

I couldn't believe how nice the 45nm's are. Low heat low wattage FTW. Plus if I got an extra 1 mhz out of that X2 I was doing good. If they could somehow match intel's fab process there is no doubt the architecture would be a contender.

Precisely my point. Stop ramping up the clock speed, stop throwing more cache on the chips, etc. Focus on shrinking the process, lowering the power consumption and production costs- profit is almost guaranteed then. Think about it, even if they went without releasing any significantly faster processors for a short spell, but the power consumption and costs plummeted their sales would increase. If you could get a Phenom 9950 retail for only $150... wouldn't you? Shrinking the process will lower both power consumption and production costs while making their CPUs all the more attractive.

But instead AMD keeps releasing CPUs with only incremental boosts in clock speed while costing more and more. That's not going to get them anywhere except bankruptcy. Maybe with Ruiz out of the way they'll start focusing on the markets that they can actually compete in, and thus turn a profit for once. You'd think after the success of the HD4000 series they'd take a hint as to what direction their company as a whole needs to go.

GeeTeeEx
07-18-08, 10:05 PM
samsung shoulda bought out amd back when those rumors were circulating... then there would be more than enough cash to back up r&d in both cpu and gpu departments (while using samsung's own gddr5 in every single graphics card =P) and save amd from this recession

Amuro
07-18-08, 10:12 PM
I'd stay away from the Phenoms unless you want the a-clock-interrupt-was-not-received-from-a-secondary-processor-within-the-allocated-time- interval BSOD. Go to AMD processor support forums or google it, and see how many AMD users are being affected by it.

Redeemed
07-19-08, 04:25 AM
I'd stay away from the Phenoms unless you want the a-clock-interrupt-was-not-received-from-a-secondary-processor-within-the-allocated-time- interval BSOD. Go to AMD processor support forums or google it, and see how many AMD users are being affected by it.

:|

Read my sig partner. I've yet to have a single problem. Then again, I've never tried oc'ing the chip (which is never a guarantee anyway, regardless whether it's an Intel or AMD) and my rig's main use is gaming, music, movies, and browsing the web.

AthlonXP1800
07-22-08, 03:14 PM
There wont be a big change in AMD, just small change or no change at all.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/amds-ceo-swap-changes-little/newsanalysis/techsemis/10427542.html?puc=_cnnmoney&cm_ven=CNNMONEY&cm_cat=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed&puc=cnnmoney&

AMD announced exited handheld and digital television businesses and Dirk Meyer took over as CEO, Executive Chairman Ruiz revealed details about asset smart strategy in financial conference that the plan is to reforming AMD business going complete fabless by sell both Fab 36 and 38 plants to raise cash and outsource all GPU and CPU productions. These not going to help AMD as things getting worse for AMD, their stock crashed to $4.32 today valued the company at $2.5bn. Financial analysts downgraded AMD stocks to sell with $3.50 target but one analyst Cramer said that AMD stock will going down to $0.

http://www.stockpickr.com/problog/766/

Now AMD have a bigger problem, latest Mercury Research revealed data that AMD continue lose CPU marketshare to Intel in Q2 2008.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20080722&id=8912262

Well the CPU price cuts not helped to make Phenom sell well so Yorkfield won. Look like AMD will be folded soon after Bloomfield launch.

Redeemed
07-22-08, 05:54 PM
There wont be a big change in AMD, just small change or no change at all.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/amds-ceo-swap-changes-little/newsanalysis/techsemis/10427542.html?puc=_cnnmoney&cm_ven=CNNMONEY&cm_cat=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed&puc=cnnmoney&

AMD announced exited handheld and digital television businesses and Dirk Meyer took over as CEO, Executive Chairman Ruiz revealed details about asset smart strategy in financial conference that the plan is to reforming AMD business going complete fabless by sell both Fab 36 and 38 plants to raise cash and outsource all GPU and CPU productions. These not going to help AMD as things getting worse for AMD, their stock crashed to $4.32 today valued the company at $2.5bn. Financial analysts downgraded AMD stocks to sell with $3.50 target but one analyst Cramer said that AMD stock will going down to $0.

http://www.stockpickr.com/problog/766/

Now AMD have a bigger problem, latest Mercury Research revealed data that AMD continue lose CPU marketshare to Intel in Q2 2008.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20080722&id=8912262

Well the CPU price cuts not helped to make Phenom sell well so Yorkfield won. Look like AMD will be folded soon after Bloomfield launch.
This is quite possibly the millionth time you've "prophisied" doom and gloom for AMD after Intel launches "X" product... yet so far they're still kicking and the GPU segment (ATi) is setup quite nicely for a while (it'll be difficult to dethrone the 4870X2 by a significant magin for some time).

Just shut it already. You're getting annoying- worse than a broken record.

crainger
07-22-08, 06:10 PM
Now you know how we feel about you Redeemed. ::D:

ViN86
07-22-08, 06:38 PM

no way. the situation now is comparable to AMD's situation in the late 90's. AMD will rebound, and intel will get lazy. the industry works in cycles, thats just the way it is.

bkswaney
07-22-08, 08:26 PM
no way. the situation now is comparable to AMD's situation in the late 90's. AMD will rebound, and intel will get lazy. the industry works in cycles, thats just the way it is.

I agree.. Intel was loosing out bad with the Pee4 and now it's intels turn.
AMD will rebound.
As much as I love the newest intel line I may build a AMD rig.
I've been doing a great deal of research and the performance on the
Phenom 9850 black ed is not bad and it OC's pretty well.
Though the Q6600 is a great deal right now to.
They both perform very well at the price point.
I guess I'll flip a coin when it's buy time. "lol" :captnkill:

sammy sung
07-22-08, 08:32 PM

:rofl:

Heinz68
07-22-08, 09:20 PM
Talking about time machine

Some people have short memory or are too young too remember :) what the situation was until July 27, 2006 when the first Intel Core 2 Duo was released.

So to refresh the memory here is the "Dual-core desktop CPU bout: AMD vs Intel." It's dated December 07 2005 (I upgraded my system right after) but nothing really changed till Core 2 Duo arrived.
The review was done by CNET.com.au and here are few quotes:

Round 2: Gaming (http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,240058761-3,00.htm)
Intel should be embarrassed with its showing in round 2. At every turn, AMD beat it to the punch. Even the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, the lowest end of AMD's dual-core CPUs, is better suited to 3D gaming than Intel's highest-end Extreme Edition 840 CPU

Round 7: Price. vs. performance (http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,240058761-8,00.htm)
According to the chart the price for Athlon 64 X2 3800+ was about $340 compared Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840 at about $1000.

The winner is... (http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,240058761-9,00.htm)
It wasn't even close.
After reading the round-by-round account of our dual-core desktop CPU prizefight, it should come as no shock that AMD's Athlon 64 X2 chips are the runaway victors here, laying out the Intel Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition 840 chips pins up. If we had to call out one chip, AMD's Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is an outstanding bargain given the competition, but as our results show, any AMD dual-core CPU will serve you better than its similarly priced Intel equivalent.

Actually there were 7 rounds in this bout and AMD did win everyone off them.

The conclusion: AMD will need less off a miracle to catch-up with Intel, than Intel needed just about 2 years ago.

Redeemed
07-23-08, 12:22 AM

Every time you post, I clench my butt-cheeks. :bleh:

crainger
07-23-08, 12:23 AM
and it feels good.

Redeemed
07-23-08, 12:29 AM
and it feels good.

:rofl :lol: :lol2:

:headexplode:

Badboy_12345
07-23-08, 02:10 AM
Well now they have the GPU market back again with the HD4xxx series

Now they need to release a cpu in the same style. Low cost and 100% awesome :p

Viral
07-23-08, 02:27 AM
Motherboards equipped with SB750 chips are already fixing Phenoms clock problems, even if only for overclockers just now. When Shanghai/Deneb (45nm 6MB L3) hit they may just be able to remain competitive if they launch at 2.8GHz with a 10-20% IPC improvement.

Redeemed, cutting the cache on Phenom would not reduce power usage significantly. More so any power usage it would save would be far outweighed by the performance decrease. To stay competitive in the mainstream segment, AMD need a fast dual core processor. Because of the TLB errata and clock ramping issues, this wasn't possible with Agena based Phenoms.

AMD have been taught a few valuable lessons from 2007. I expect them to really catch up in 2009.