PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the downclocking issue?

Lfctony
07-18-08, 02:05 PM
Any news at all from Nvidia on the Vista downclocking issue? I have a SLI setup that I can't use in Vista because of this crap! :headexplode: I don't know, maybe this belongs in the GTX280 section...

hell_of_doom227
07-18-08, 03:21 PM
Any news at all from Nvidia on the Vista downclocking issue? I have a SLI setup that I can't use in Vista because of this crap! :headexplode: I don't know, maybe this belongs in the GTX280 section...

I'm not sure what would be the issue? It works fine here.

SLippe
07-18-08, 04:11 PM
I see you have an eVGA and a BFG card. Are they set at two different speeds from factory? If so, it's always been my understanding that if that's the case in SLI they will revert to the slower card's clocks. Thought it's always been that way. Unless you're talking about something else entirely.

shilk
07-18-08, 04:24 PM
Don't know if it relates to Powermizer, but have you checked this (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19134) out?

Seems like drivers downclock the GPU - not sure if it relates only to laptops or not. But it may be worth checking out.

I see the registry entries in mine, but they've been disabled.

Lfctony
07-18-08, 10:54 PM
The issue lies specifically with the card (both the 260 and 280 models) dropping to 2D speeds (drops and stays there) while in games... Users have found a way to bypass this drop by forcing Constant 3D performance using Rivatuner. But I don't want to do that... It's an issue plaguing Vista only apparently, the card(s) will drop out of full 3D performance for some reason (not from temps, not the PSU, not the load) causing extreme slowdowns... Nvidia are aware of it, and we are waiting for a fix. But it's taking its time... I have not seen any users experiencing this in Windows XP, and my system is working fine in XP64 with no issues at all...

Here's the eVGA thread started by our very own jaKup: :)
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=421769&mpage=1&key=��

Edit: Tried the PowerMizer thing, still happened 1 minute into Crysis... :(

ginfest
07-19-08, 04:37 AM
I haven't seen this (yet!) but have only used my 260 for one day. After reading this post, and the linked one, I checked the speeds during my last gaming session and luckily, no issue.
The card remains at 300/1000 while at the desktop, it stayed at 600/1000 while I was playing.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and report back if mine exhibits the slow-down.

edit: using 177.66 drivers

4q2
07-26-08, 11:53 PM
I'm using the Riva Tuner fix to force 3d performance mode and EVGA precision profiles on my GTX 260. I set up a 2d profile with everything downclocked as far as it will let me and then a few overclocked profiles for 3d.

I have to change it manually by selecting the profile but at least I have control of it this way.

Since I don't do SLI this should work until Nvidia gets it sorted out with a real fix.

LabShark
07-30-08, 11:52 AM
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=480692&mpage=1&key=񵖴

namuk
08-04-08, 04:26 PM
is this sli related only?

Hapatingjaky
08-04-08, 10:44 PM
Using 177.79 Beta from Nvidia. I do not see this issue with my 280GTX SLI.

Lfctony
08-04-08, 10:46 PM
Yes, it's fixed in the 177.79s...

mikeyakame
08-06-08, 06:40 PM
It's not fixed in 177.79. They broke downclocking sensivitiy all together. In 177.79 it stays stuck in 3D mode, hardly a fix imho.

hell_of_doom227
08-06-08, 08:24 PM
There is no issue, card is supposed to lower clock speed even in a game if you're sitting on menu.

4q2
08-06-08, 09:17 PM
Just use EVGA precision to set-up a lower clocked profile while not playing. Much better than your card downclocking in the middle of a game IMO.

Lfctony
08-06-08, 11:01 PM
It's not fixed in 177.79. They broke downclocking sensivitiy all together. In 177.79 it stays stuck in 3D mode, hardly a fix imho.

Close your internet explorer... Or media player... The downclocking works... I switched to Firefox, IE keeps the cards in 3d...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=32527&stc=1&d=1218081899

ginfest
08-07-08, 09:32 AM
Close your internet explorer... Or media player... The downclocking works... I switched to Firefox, IE keeps the cards in 3d...

Good catch I was wondering why I have never seen this problem! I was using FF b4 I got my 260, so never experienced it.

oozish
08-09-08, 10:07 AM
Wrong! Firefox keeps it scaled up to 3d speeds as well unless you force it lower via precision.

ginfest
08-09-08, 01:11 PM
Wrong! Firefox keeps it scaled up to 3d speeds as well unless you force it lower via precision.

I'm not seeing that here!
I constantly monitor the card thru my G15 LCD/EVGA precision applet. Right now I'm using FF, playing tunes thru Media Monkey, got a bunch of apps open and the Card is at 301Mhz. Not sure why yours is different ;)

Lfctony
08-09-08, 02:43 PM

Definitely something on your end... The screenshot I posted has Firefox open...

mikeyakame
08-09-08, 10:26 PM
Any of you guys having problems with sensitivity, check your PCI-E frequency if you have overclocked your system. I found anything lower than the PLL REF Frequency for my GTX280 ( < 108MHz ) caused random glitches and problems with the card. At 112MHz it seems to be problem free. The only conclusion I've come up with is poor insulation from electrical noise and interference on the circuit board and electronics. Crosstalk between the Southbridge and Video Card from the clock frequencies resonating in phase by the PLL on the mobo / video card every so often, sometimes too much resonance takes the graphics card down or interferes with typing / usb / firewire / sata.

Nvidia PCI-E 2.0 slots use 125MHz PLL clock ref so falling back on their own motherboards won't cause problems. Intel is normal and follows spec and thus uses 100MHz PLL Clock ref for PCI-E 1.x/2.0 as common PLL. 110MHz PCI-E should get you out of trouble on Intel boards with but another Nvidia-developed cross talk problem. I am beginning to understand why there is such rampant data corruption on certain PCI-E 2.0 based 680/780/790i chipsets. Insulation to external interference is poor at best.