PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 revisited

Pages : [1] 2

DoomUK
07-19-08, 09:25 AM
With all the hoo-hah about Rage, RTCW 2, the announcement of Doom 4, and whatever else the Gentlemen at id (and their colleagues at their neighbouring companies) may have hidden up their sleeves, I think it's time to revisit and celebrate Doom 3 for the underrated title that it was/is.

The production quality of the game is outstanding. Perfectly-crafted (and frankly unsurpassed in any game before or since, imo) industrial environments. Beautiful creature design that truly pays homage to the creatures of the same name(s) in old school Doom. Fantastically immersive and spooky audio. Attention to detail; the PDA logs, the subtle references to previous Doom games and other titles, etc.

Gameplay-wise. It's a very linear FPS and it rarely challenges the player's brain; whether in combat or in solving puzzles. In all fairness this undoubtedly goes to it's discredit. I'm not about to praise D3 for being a thinking man's FPS in any way.

One of the biggest problems people had with the game, though, was that it was - and I quote - "too dark". While it's certainly a valid point to say that the game is undoubtedly dark, it does it too well to earn the mantle of "too dark". Broadly speaking, it's a horror game, not a fast-paced action title. Whether the game - or indeed, anything else - could be deemed as 'scary' is a matter of subjective opinion, in the same sense that people tend to disagree over whether a room is too warm or too cold. But it reminds me of Alien, Alien3, Event Horizon and all the other sci-fi horror flicks you could shake a stick at - which to me, is just cool :p.

Tips on how to play Doom 3:-

Take your time. Pay attention to every step of the environment, read every PDA, view every video file, keep your ears open for every sound.
Take your time.
Take your time.
Don't expect to be particularly challenged, just enjoy the game for the wonderful looking (and sounding) piece of game design greatness that it is.

Anyway. These are my thoughts after wandering around Mars City almost four years after I first wandered around it. Dismiss what I say, agree with it, ignore it - your call.

nutcrackr
07-19-08, 09:35 AM
Doom 3 is a superb game, I played it very carefully the first time and I did read just about every pda and I thought they created a great picture of what came before. How these were creatures from another world with high heat tolerance. The creature animation was very impressive, especially the imp. I liked the fact that the flashlight couldn't be used with a weapon, because it added a level of tension. I thought it did monster closets well.

I didn't think the ending was what it should have been. The expansion was very much action orientated with much weaker back/side story via pdas. It got some good scores to start with 90s+ and I think it deserved them.

crainger
07-19-08, 11:11 AM
I liked Doom3.

BrianG
07-19-08, 11:49 AM
Never understood why Doom3 was so harshly criticized by some of the gaming press. It was Bioshock with out the Art-Deco design. Sure, there were more mini games in Bioshock, but both were on rails, both were quite scary and both had a great attention to detail. The shotgun in D3 was the pipe wrench of Bioshock. But honestly, Doom3 holds up very well. I might just reinstall it again.

I'll probably get hammered for this post.

DoomUK
07-19-08, 12:12 PM
Never understood why Doom3 was so harshly criticized by some of the gaming press. It was Bioshock with out the Art-Deco design.

QFT.

Nza
07-19-08, 12:24 PM
I think expectations were too high and I never really understood why. Perhaps people forgot what Doom was about in all the excitement. Doom 3 stayed very true to the series with its simple approach to FPS but it seemed to me many were expecting the next Deus Ex or something.

zaG
07-19-08, 01:06 PM
I love Dł and the addon was a perfect continuation. I think i have to play this game again for its great atmosphere. :wonder:

grey_1
07-19-08, 01:08 PM
I have no idea how many times I've been through this game thanks to LMS and various other mods.

I think the game did exactly what it was supposed to, smoothly, never a hitch or crash. Reviewers are the ones that planted expectations that I don't believe ID ever intended.

The ending was beautifully played out, ironically it's also my only complaint. I would rather the player battle and take down the boss, rather than fight minions and leave the boss, for all intensive purposes, to another.

Looking forward to 4 with very high expectations.

Roliath
07-19-08, 01:37 PM
Did doom 3 support high resolutions out the box? I can't remember.

(specifically, 1920x1200/2560x1600)

BrianG
07-19-08, 01:58 PM
Did doom 3 support high resolutions out the box? I can't remember.

(specifically, 1920x1200/2560x1600)
Not really.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Doom_3

Roliath
07-19-08, 02:00 PM
Not really.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Doom_3

yup
now I remember..
thanks

breathemetal
07-19-08, 02:56 PM
i didnt really care for doom 3
bioshock was a lot better imo

LordJuanlo
07-19-08, 02:58 PM
IMO Doom 3 was quite a good game, but it wasn't Doom, it looked more like an horror survival game, didn't have the spirit of its predecesors

Bearclaw
07-19-08, 03:35 PM
I never liked it.

Xion X2
07-19-08, 03:57 PM
Was awesome--the only game besides Fatal Frame that would have me jumping from time to time.

Can't wait for the next one.

mullet
07-19-08, 06:50 PM
Old ass Doom 3 is still 1 bazillion times better then UT3.

Gaco
07-19-08, 06:53 PM
I thought Doom 3 was an excellent game as well. You had to be in the mood, be alone, in dark, the sound volume way up and engage yourself in the game.

Anyway is it just me that loves the part of the game when the catastrophe hasn't occured yet? Seeing a fully operational mars station with all the technology and people at work, overhearing random conversations, talking to the armory guy etc., I love that kind of stuff. In System Shock 2 for example, I would really LOVE to experience the space station before it all went to hell, though you wake up in the ****storm unfortunately. Half-Life does it too though not quite as well as Doom 3, but it's still good. I really hope we get some cool games in the future that does this some more and gives us more time before "the big problem" arrives, perhaps incorporating some real science (learning bits of real physics and chemistry all around), real TV (like GTA IV) and even more believable people into the game as well :)

Bokishi
Looking back, Doom 3 was the only game that ever scared me.

All those fools whining about the flashlight and darkness, well they made it that way for a reason

Uberpwnage
Yea I loved it, but I read all the PDAs the first time around, so it probably helps alot like everyone is saying. Nothing quite like playing max'ed at 2 in the morning with the lights out and the sound up :D. I'm gonna reinstall it shortly.

Mr Bigman
07-19-08, 07:11 PM
Game was my most played game in 04 besides UT2k4.

I went through the game a few times and was good each time so very enjoyable and has good mods even Doom Classic which i began a 2nd time cuz a formated the rig at the time and didn't keep the saves.

All in all, Doom 3 was just fine of a game and delivered from the hype but only one problem, it didn't take 11 gigs of drive space that was so highly mentioned but only 2 gb of room.

SH64
07-19-08, 07:28 PM
Agr33d. the atmoshphere in Doom3 is just astonishing!

Sazar
07-19-08, 07:32 PM
Did they ever fix the resolution issue?

Or do I still have to manually go in to get a widescreen res of 19x12 going?

grey_1
07-19-08, 08:47 PM
You still have to set it manually.

sMull
07-19-08, 08:48 PM
I also loved the game, and it was long too. The expansion was great as well. However if you play with the flashlight mod the action flows better as you can actually go running and gunning, rather than exploring.

ahheadlock
07-19-08, 11:26 PM
I liked Doom3 also. One of the very few games that actually gave me some genuine 'scares'.