PDA

View Full Version : UPS questions

nekrosoft13
07-20-08, 01:09 AM
i was thinking about getting a UPS.

what kind of UPS would i need? i would like to be able to keep two PCs up and going, just in case of power goes out to have enough time to shut down properly.

and to keep network up, modem, router, switch, vonage.

not sure what to get, one or two stronger ones for PCs, and weaker for network.

any tips?

crainger
07-20-08, 01:54 AM
I was pondering on this too for my own system. I'm thinking of getting one big one for my rig. I think you'd be best with 2 UPSes nekro, one big one for network and the smaller of the two PCs and another big one. That's assuming you network equipment is near to the small PC, otherwise maybe 2 for PC and 1 small one for network as you said.

nekrosoft13
07-21-08, 07:50 AM
no one else have anything else to say?

Imbroglio
07-22-08, 10:38 AM

what kind of UPS would i need? i would like to be able to keep two PCs up and going, just in case of power goes out to have enough time to shut down properly.

size depends on how much time you actually need. the biggest factor would be to look for a UPS that "cleans" the electricity. I haven't researched them in a year or two, but I know that the better ones remove surges, and add voltage during the lows, so that the electricity is more uniform coming into the pc. other then that, stick with apc :D

ViN86
07-22-08, 10:48 AM

any tips?

tbh, you will need a pretty beefy UPS to keep two systems going for enough time to shut down or whatever.

what makes you think of this nekro? do you live in an area that tends to get a lot of random outages or even brown-outs? if not, idk if the investment would be worth it, unless youre looking for better power input, like imbro was referring to.

Lfctony
07-22-08, 11:54 AM
I have a 1400VA one, my brother has a 1000VA one. I got them primarily for intermittent power loss, which we get a lot over here. I'm talking about the type that will not shut down anything but very sensitive equipment, ie the TV keeps going but the PC and the A/C would turn off. Split second power drops enough to cause your PC to power off and cause damage.

700VA is not enough for one 8800GTX, I think max output for those is 300-350W. 1400VA is something around 1000W, which is plenty for a powerhouse with SLIed cards. Since you're looking into powering two PCs during a drop, 1400VA should be enough...

Tony.

Tr1cK
07-22-08, 01:04 PM
I use a 1000VA and wouldn't run my PC without it.

Bman212121
07-23-08, 10:29 PM

any tips?

What kind of pc's are we talking about here Nekro? I'm basically using a setup just like what your mentioning. I have 500va APC that powers my server, router, switch, and vonage box. I get about 15 minutes uptime before the battery runs out. My server is a 3800+ x2, 4GB ram, 2 1TB seagates, and a little video card (was a PCI card, now is a GF2 MX). I measured the server at around 110W power draw. The other stuff is basically peanuts.

For my main rig, I'm using a 1200VA APC UPS which was netting me about 15 minutes I think before I added a 2nd card. I'm not exactly sure what it would do now but I'm guessing where talking like 10 minutes tops if I were in a game. More like 5 minutes right now I bet. For a box similar to what's in my sig (monitor included) I would be looking closer to the 1500va range.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

If you use that tool it will kind of give you an estimate of what to look for. You'd think I could remember from less than a week ago but I think my rig in my sig pulls like 360W idling at the desktop. The 24" monitor draws an additional 70W.

Actually that selector won't work all that well because it doesn't account for the extra power for high end graphics cards.

This is probably a better link. http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=23 I would guesstimate you'll be pulling at least 500W for a high end rig while gaming.

They are a little pricey but I like APC stuff and you can find it cheaper in a store. The batteries are user replaceable and if you look at something like the 1300va or 1500va model it has other advantages the cheaper ones won't. One of the main things is the (AVR). A lot of lower end battery backups (my 500va included) only kick over to battery if the power drops below a certain level or goes above a certain level. So if the power is in brownout conditions like 100 volts the battery backup might not kick into gear and just pass 100 volts through to your hardware. The AVR is designed to adjust the power levels to always provide the correct power output even in brownout or high voltage situations.

APC also includes their powerchute personal software for most of their models which can be used to monitor your battery backup via a USB connection. The higher models (I know a 900va has this) allow you to monitor your power draw through the software. It also lets you tweak how sensitive you want the battery backup to be to changes in power.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2774/apc1200kn2.jpg

Pics are a little crappy because I don't have paint .net installed, but here is a pic my Q6600 8800GTX SLI rig idling at the desktop. Note my pc isn't hooked up to my 1200va model right now because of it's location. I just ran a power cord from the tower ONLY to my 900VA battery backup.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2cngnky.jpg

Here it is running the WiC Benchmark.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2uh1qav.jpg

Without a load the battery backup was showing around 16W so subtract that from those numbers. (A couple little things are plugged in and I think it also records about 5W for itself, and maybe more if it is recharging the battery) Either way It's pushing about 530W under load for just the tower, so right around 600W with a monitor included. A 900va wouldn't power this rig.

According to the chart my 1200va model and both the 1300va and 1500va would run for 10 minutes with this load. http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=23 I don't think it would last quite that long myself but if the power did go out it would give you a couple of minutes to determine if it's coming back on. Once you exit the game you'd probably still have 12 minutes or so of runtime before the battery runs out. BTW, the black models are the newer ones, and the white are the older ones that are no longer carried. You can find the black models in Bestbuy, Staples, etc.

A couple more things to note: I'm sure you can figure it out but also make sure your looking at the wattage when choosing a UPS. Obviously not are all created equal. Some 1000va models from lesser known places might not be able to handle as many watts as others. Also the numbers they put on the box for runtime are best case scenarios, and as you can see in the graph a 50W load more like what they show on the box, where at full load it's more like 5 minutes and around 15 minutes for a half load.