PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War runs like crap! Please help!

MisterMister
07-20-08, 07:09 PM
Okay, I bought Gears of War for my PC a few months ago (since I don't own an Xbox 360, I've never actually played it before). I just started playing it however. Now, I KNOW my PC should be capable of running it at it's max settings and at my screen's native resolution of 1680x1050, but I am having issues getting it to run smoothly (my system specs are in my signature below). I mean I can run Bioshock, CoD4, Supreme Commander, FEAR, etc... All at their maximum settings and at this resolution without a single hint of slowdown. Hell, I can even play Crysis at maximum and my native resolution (minus AA) without any issues!

Anyway, when I play Gears, I get some choppiness and slowdown issues (e.g. the frame rate drops well below 30FPS at points). This was with maximum settings, so I turned AA *OFF*. It didn't help. So I then tried running the "default" settings (this put everything to "medium" settings, turned AA and VSYNC off. I STILL have frame rate issues! Now, one would expect to see SOME improvement after reducing the detail by THAT much, but alas I couldn't tell a performance difference between that and when I had it set to maximum (there may be a difference but its slight enough that I didn't see any improvements).

I have already downloaded and installed all the GoW for Windows updates/patches, as well as updating to the newest WHQL approved Nvidia Forceware drivers. I've tried further OCing my video cards, I've tried using the cards at stock clock, and I’ve also tried OCing my CPU to my benchmarking level of 3.6GHz (vs. my 24/7 running of 3.2GHz). Still no improvement. At least none that I could readily see.

My question is... is this a hardware issue? Am I really not able to run this relatively old game on my higher end system? Is it, perhaps, that GoW does not utilize SLI equipped systems? Or is it just a really bad coding job done by Microsoft when they ported it over to the PC (which apparently was NOT fixed by their latest patches)?

I would REALLY appreciate any help you could give me.

-MM

Bokishi
07-20-08, 07:15 PM
Check your drivers. I used to get severe pausing in the action segments until Beta Driver 177.66 (very recently) it now is constantly stuck at 60 fps and no pausing/stutter whatsoever @ DX9 2560x1600

saturnotaku
07-20-08, 07:15 PM
Might be an XP thing, as I run GoW with no problems in Vista.

By the way, MS didn't port the game to PC. People Can Fly (of Painkiller fame) did.

LordJuanlo
07-21-08, 01:45 AM
I didn't have any framerate problems since launch day, besides some slight micropauses (maybe 5 or 6 in each level) that didn't affect gameplay and got solved after a driver update or game patch (don't remember)

MisterMister
07-21-08, 02:03 AM
Might be an XP thing, as I run GoW with no problems in Vista.

By the way, MS didn't port the game to PC. People Can Fly (of Painkiller fame) did.

I dont have XP.

MisterMister
07-21-08, 04:51 PM
Well, I screwed this up BIG TIME. To make a long story short, I will copy and paste the conversation (including my reply stating the new problem) which started this BS:

GOW is "famous" for the stuttering. There is a tweak you can put in the ini-file that should reduce it (some say itīs totally gone when using it - some say it doesnīt work). I donīt have it but do some search and you should find it.

cheers

Edit:
"and texture streaming, aka stuttering is not fixed by the patch.you can try this as a possible solution
go to My Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config
add these 3 lines to both "DefaultEngineUserSettings.ini" and "WarEngineUserSettings.ini" under [system settings]

bUseTextureStreaming=FALSE
bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=FALSE
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

it forces the game to preload all the textures which freezes the game on the first load for 2-3 seconds,but it removes all texture streaming stuttering thereafter. At least it did for me."

Source3: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33922413&highlight=gears+of+war

Okay, I dun fawked up. I tried to edit the files as stated in that thread, however after I did so the game would no longer run. I would get a runtime error when opening the start up file (either through autorun or manually). So I removed the program and reinstalled (like an idiot n00b I didnt copy and paste the stock files before changing them).

Anyway, when I reinstalled the game I had something strage happen. I told it to install on my "G" drive (the HDD I have for games) and I thought it did. But it turns out it just made an empty GoW folder on the G drive and actually installed the game files it self (all 9+GB of them) on my "C" (OS) drive under the "Microsoft Games" folder (the one with minesweeper, solitare, etc. You know, the stock games that Windows puts there by default when installing the OS).

Anyway, by pulling ANOTHER bonehead move, I deleted said folder on the C drive manually. I didnt select "add/remove software", nor did I use the in-game uninstall wizard. I just opened up the C drive, selected the GoW folder then "right click - delete". Sigh. I then proceeded deleted the other empty folder on my G drive.

Now, when I try to reinstall the game the software thinks I am trying to uninstall it (it's the only option it gives me) However, when I do it reports an error, windows closes it, and nothing happens.

Ive scoured the files on both drives and I cant find a single GoW related folder ANYWHERE, but I still cant reinstall the game. All efforts result in the game trying to uninstall it self. It doesnt matter if I use autorun off of the DVD or if I open and explore the files on the DVD and manually select the install.ini file!

PLEASE HELP! ARGH!!!

I REALLY don't want to have to format or restore my system to play this game!

-MM

brady
07-21-08, 05:08 PM
Sounds like you need to clean out the registry friend.

grey_1
07-21-08, 05:19 PM
Search for "xlive" on both drives. that might be holding you up, plus the registry search as brady said.

styles-T
07-21-08, 08:31 PM
i had the same problem for xp and vista..i fixed it by uninstalling it..it would stutter a lot..but the framerate wasnt as bad as you make it sound..

Destroy
07-21-08, 08:52 PM
If you are talking about the famous stuttering issue in GoW, there is no guaranteed fix. Some systems have it some don't. ini texturestreaming edit is one thing to try. I had it, I just ignored it and kept playing.