PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a new gaming rig, need some advise.

asd
07-21-08, 03:10 AM
I am going to build a new gaming rig, but I need some advise from the players to see which one is the best to buy.

CPU: I am going to pick up the QX9770

MOBO: I need some advise here, is the Asus Rampage Formula good? or the Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 better?

RAM: DDR3 is my choice, and I am going for the gskill one, but I need to know which one is the best they have right now.

Case: Is the CoolerMaster CM690 good? or there's a better choice?

Video card: Inno3D GTX280

PSU: Is a 900watt PSU enough for my rig? if yes, which one you guys prefer?

Thank you. :)

crainger
07-21-08, 07:42 AM
The 690 is a great case for it's price.

Inno3D are great cards. They have been good to NvNews in the past. ::D:

nekrosoft13
07-21-08, 07:49 AM
PSU is probably most important part, get something really good, Seasonic, Silverstone or PC power and cooling.

stay away from corsair, coolermaster or some other novelty PSU

edit: look for something with single rail

asd
07-21-08, 08:28 AM
PSU is probably most important part, get something really good, Seasonic, Silverstone or PC power and cooling.

Still need some advise about the mobo and ram. :)

btw, is 900w enough for my rig? I am going for Enermax or Antec, both of it seems to be quite good if I am not wrong? ;)

crainger
07-21-08, 08:40 AM

The new Corsairs ARE Seasonics rebranded, sometimes with a better fan.

nekrosoft13
07-21-08, 08:43 AM
ok maybe they learned they lesson they used to be from the same **** company that make cooler master PSU.

crainger
07-21-08, 08:47 AM
Yeah, same company that did the Ultra and OCZ supplies too. I wonder what's in store for PCP&C now OCZ bought them out. ::(:.

Toss3
07-21-08, 12:42 PM
I am going to build a new gaming rig, but I need some advise from the players to see which one is the best to buy.

MOBO: I need some advise here, is the Asus Rampage Formula good? or the Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 better?

RAM: DDR3 is my choice, and I am going for the gskill one, but I need to know which one is the best they have right now.

One tip: wait a month for nehalem... and build your rig then. You'll be much happier with the latest hardware instead of an overpriced QX9770, and it'll be faster. :cool:

I'd also get the 4870x2 instead of the Gtx 280(should also be available at the same time nehalem releases).

Just put together a htpc for now and get the case + PSU as well.

If you really can't wait a month, don't get the qx9770 - just get a qx9650 instead and use the saved money to buy a silverstone temjin TJ-07 and a 1,2KW psu.

asd
07-21-08, 02:50 PM
One tip: wait a month for nehalem... and build your rig then. You'll be much happier with the latest hardware instead of an overpriced QX9770, and it'll be faster. :cool:

I'd also get the 4870x2 instead of the Gtx 280(should also be available at the same time nehalem releases).

Just put together a htpc for now and get the case + PSU as well.

If you really can't wait a month, don't get the qx9770 - just get a qx9650 instead and use the saved money to buy a silverstone temjin TJ-07 and a 1,2KW psu.

Thanks, I didn't know the nehalem until you told me, now I guess I will have to wait, since my PC still can run most of the game without any problem, the nehalem seems kick ass, but I still know very little about it, is it quad-core? ;)

Toss3
07-21-08, 03:27 PM
Thanks, I didn't know the nehalem until you told me, now I guess I will have to wait, since my PC still can run most of the game without any problem, the nehalem seems kick ass, but I still know very little about it, is it quad-core? ;)

Yup it's quad, but supports hyperthreading(=eight threads). The most exciting thing about the nehalem architecture is the built in memory controller and triple channel ddr3! ;)

The only downside is that the motherboards are going to cost a fortune, due to the fact that board makers have to pay intel 80$ per x58.. :thumbdwn: (790i Ultra is 100$)

ViN86
07-21-08, 03:53 PM

+1

with higher end video cards, they usually require high amps. delivering the juice on a single rail is better.

never underestimate the importance of your PSU. a good PSU is an essential part of any rig. :)

bacon12
07-21-08, 05:48 PM
Don't do it! It is addictive, and expensive. Go buy a console instead.

The corsair 650 or pc&c 700? can be had for around $100 Both are single 12v rail psu's.

asd
07-22-08, 12:32 AM
Yup it's quad, but supports hyperthreading(=eight threads). The most exciting thing about the nehalem architecture is the built in memory controller and triple channel ddr3! ;)

The only downside is that the motherboards are going to cost a fortune, due to the fact that board makers have to pay intel 80$ per x58.. :thumbdwn: (790i Ultra is 100$)

Argh..!! this is going to be a long wait ;)
but the features it delieves is very impressive!
this is a must have for me :D

About the video card, is the 4870x2 good? compare to the gtx280? aren't only the gtx280 has 1GB of ram right now? ATI must be doing very good to catch my attendtion, since I lose my confident to them long time ago. :(

Joe Public
07-23-08, 12:41 PM

What kind of bs is that? Corsair novelty PSU? Corsairs are good quality and single rail.

bknblk
07-23-08, 12:49 PM
I like the Tagan ABS line.

Stoneyguy
07-23-08, 02:54 PM
stay away from corsair

heh, I just ordered a Corsair HX1000. I based my purchase on this review, (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4NywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==) and the fact that the entire Corsair line has a 5 egg rating on Newegg. What do you base your "no buy" recommendation on?

mullet
07-24-08, 12:08 AM
heh, I just ordered a Corsair HX1000. I based my purchase on this review, (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4NywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==) and the fact that the entire Corsair line has a 5 egg rating on Newegg. What do you base your "no buy" recommendation on?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=89

Summary

Corsair is late to the party with the HX1000, and for a long time I've been hearing that they were waiting until their very exacting standards had been met before releasing such a creature. Well, I don't know about Corsair's standards, but they sure have met my own standards with this unit. It's going to take a whole lot to top this unit, and I think I'm going to be drooling over that 60 degree number for quite some time.

The Good:

*full power without shutting down at ten degrees over spec while maintaining ripple and regulation in spec
*excellent regulation
*looks fantastic
*all the cables one could wish for
*quiet fan under most circumstances
*excellent efficiency

The Bad:

*I'm not sure my old camera will ever forgive me

The Mediocre:

*short heatsink screws with no threadlocking compound

crainger
07-24-08, 04:30 AM

Old Corsairs used to be rebranded Fortran PSU, the same PSUs used by OCZ and Ultra. They were pretty bad. Remember all the horror stories from the early Ultra modular supplies.

Corsair now use Seasonic PSUs, they even go as far as to use a better fan controller than the default Seasonic controller, making Corsair some of the best PSUs on the market.

nekrosoft13
07-24-08, 06:54 AM
i wasn't aware of the recent change that crainger mentioned. Corsair PSU used to be one of the worst POS on the market. Some still might be, since older models are probably still on the market.

Toss3
07-24-08, 07:52 AM
Argh..!! this is going to be a long wait ;)
but the features it delieves is very impressive!
this is a must have for me :D

About the video card, is the 4870x2 good? compare to the gtx280? aren't only the gtx280 has 1GB of ram right now? ATI must be doing very good to catch my attendtion, since I lose my confident to them long time ago. :(

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116235 :) It's much faster than the Gtx 280 in every game except for Crysis, but this is likely due to early drivers(they don't fully support the 4870x2 yet) but as they didn't correct the issue with the latest drivers and crysis being the number 1 title for benchmarking, I guess crytek is at fault - as neither nvidia sli nor ati crossfire seems to scale at all in that particular game. And the performance is going to get much better in games that don't benefit from having two gpus. :cool:

nekrosoft13
07-24-08, 08:57 AM
toss, i wouldn't say every game, since only about 5 games were tested.

it has the potential to be faster in every game, but since its a crossfire card that really depends on drivers.

Stoneyguy
07-24-08, 03:09 PM
i wasn't aware of the recent change that crainger mentioned. Corsair PSU used to be one of the worst POS on the market. Some still might be, since older models are probably still on the market.

Ok thanks, I feel better. FedEx truck should be arriving today with my goodies. (nana2)

asd
07-25-08, 03:54 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116235 :) It's much faster than the Gtx 280 in every game except for Crysis, but this is likely due to early drivers(they don't fully support the 4870x2 yet) but as they didn't correct the issue with the latest drivers and crysis being the number 1 title for benchmarking, I guess crytek is at fault - as neither nvidia sli nor ati crossfire seems to scale at all in that particular game. And the performance is going to get much better in games that don't benefit from having two gpus. :cool:

Really really amazing, maybe this time ATI will catch my attendtion once more, I am sure going for this one if Nvidia can't release a better card, but do I need an AMD CPU to run it better :D ? since I really love the intel nehalem. :(

wolfgar
07-25-08, 05:02 PM

QX9770 ?? seems like overkill, unless you do photoshop or video editing. Gaming only needs dual core currently. my E8400 OC'd to 3.6gz will probably match that QX9700 in FPS. GO read the CPU reviews. performance increases drops significantly after 3gz (1-2% performance gains for tons of money??)

MB: I have the Rampage Formula. I love it. Warning: its DDR2. if you demand DDR3, look elsewhere. (ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48)

RAM: I paired my Rampage with: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Case: I have the full sized thermaltake Armour w 25cm side fan (black, steel). Love it. TONS of room.

Video card: Inno3D GTX280.. Very nice (I'm running a BFG 8800GTX OC)

PSU: 900w should be more than plenty. (more than you need likely) make sure the video 12V rails have enough amps for the video (many do not have enough power for the nv-280's). I use the PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V , as I prefer a single rail solution. watch the efficiency rating as well. Lower eff PSU's waste power.

CPU Cooler: not as important any more with the smaller CPU's. I have the Zalman 9700NT. My CPU is the coolest part of my system now. The NB, that's another issue..

My 0.02.
DDR3 is still too expensive, and not worth the $$ (trivial performance gain)
You're over spending on CPU (for gaming)
The rampage cannot support SLI, so you're buying more PSU than you need.
Add some good quite high CFPM fans (i have 3 x Scythe S-FLEX)

Spend the $$ difference on a better monitor. (but don't go crazy, unless you do high end photo editing)

npras42
07-25-08, 05:13 PM
Just wait for Nehalem as everyone has said already. The perf is likely to be very good by all accounts and much better value than a QX9770.

Leave your GPU choice until that all comes out because you never know whats around the corner and DDR3 memory will likely be slightly cheaper and available in triple packs.