PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR 2 worth playing after Mass Effect?

Destroy
07-21-08, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed Mass Effect but thought it was very short, had extremely dull samey side missions , horrible inventory system, side mission planets couldn't get much more unimaginative, and overall, ME still had too much consolitus.

I never played any of the KOTOR games and many seem to praise them. I really enjoy Oblivion with many mods; Vanilla Oblivion I didn't care for at all.

Based on above info, will I like KOTOR2?

Would playing KOTOR1 be a superior choice?

Any recommended graphic mods or mods in general to help update KOTOR2?

Ninjaman09
07-21-08, 12:45 PM
KOTOR 2 has its own frustrating problems. I never finished it, but apparently the plot never really resolves as the game's development was extremely rushed. Inventory systems in Bioware games are generally awful compared with other games/developers. KOTOR's system isn't really any different from Mass Effect's but it's workable. You don't find as many identical items so you don't have to spend 10 minutes deleting your "Medical Interface I-IV" mods or anything like that.

If you haven't played either KOTOR game, it's a no brainer - play the first one. KOTOR 2 uses the same engine so there is no graphical improvement. The storyline in KOTOR 2 is a (confusing) continuation of the first game, so you'd want the first game as a basis anyway. As far as user mods, I don't know of any. But play KOTOR for sure, it's an awesome game.

Bokishi
07-21-08, 12:46 PM
KOTOR 1 still owns Mass Effect IMO

SH64
07-21-08, 01:32 PM
Weird .. cause i like ME much much more than KOTOR2.
if you think the inverntory system in ME is horrible then you should see KOTOR's.

anyway i think KOTOR2 is still a game to play if you are a SW fan.
personally if i have played ME first , i wouldnt go to KOTOR2.

msxyz
07-21-08, 01:42 PM
Problems of Kotor 2

*Random loot and store inventory - At a certain point I had something like 20 jewels for making red sabers and not a single one green!

*Rushed out game. Content cut, movies are low res and music is badly compressed. Later high resolution video and music was released as a huge update pack. Still a lot of content is missing. There's a big unofficial patch floating around. I've never tried it but it was said that it fixes certain quests, enabled a whole new planet and unlocked some areas and quests which were cut down late in the development to meet the release date

*Story is very convoluted and so is the reputation system. I don't see this as a "problem" yet you may find later in the game that you screwed certain quests just because you didn't gain enough reputation when it was necessary or you didn't perform certain actions in a particular order.

*Uh, one last thing... the ending sucks badly! There are some leftovers inside the game files about how the ending was supposed to be before it too got chopped to meet the deadline. Imagine watching "Return of the Jedi" and the movie credits appear when Han Solo and the princess are still fighting on Endor and Luke is a prisoner of the emperor. Or if Lucas, to make the whole movie shorter, decides that everyone dies in the Death Star explosion... That's how I felt when I finished Kotor 2!

I think Kotor had the potential to blow away the first one (which was too linear and "simplistic" from an RPG point of view) yet Obsidian was forced to make certain decisions because of the publisher policies.

H3avyM3tal
07-21-08, 02:28 PM
Of course you should play it!
It is a great game on its own imho, though the 1st one was better.
However!

Team Gizka (http://www.team-gizka.org/) is making a great mod, and should be just about ready (or so one can hope). Check it out, and I suggest you wait a bit for this mod to be ready.

nekrosoft13
07-21-08, 03:31 PM
KOTOR 1 still owns Mass Effect IMO

yes it does

nekrosoft13
07-21-08, 03:34 PM
Of course you should play it!
It is a great game on its own imho, though the 1st one was better.
However!

Team Gizka (http://www.team-gizka.org/) is making a great mod, and should be just about ready (or so one can hope). Check it out, and I suggest you wait a bit for this mod to be ready.

once that is finished, i will play both games again ;)

CaptNKILL
07-21-08, 04:22 PM
I'm waiting for the KOTOR 2 Restoration project to finish before I play the game. I tried a few times and ran into too many bugs so I just decided to wait. That was about 2 years ago... :o

Amuro
07-21-08, 09:37 PM
I only finshed the dark side. The plot was imcomplete which was rather disappointing. But I liked the new force powers, especially the extremely powerful Force Crush, which was the reason why went dark side. I also liked the prestige classes that you can mix and match all you like. I went with guardian + sith lord so I could be strong at both lightsaber combat and powers.

RoachMojo
07-22-08, 11:14 AM
KOTOR was so much more fun for me than Mass Effect. Even KOTOR2 was pretty cool, with the mods of course. Play it and you will not be dissapointed!!! Especially if you want a real Star Wars prequel. ;)

nekrosoft13
07-22-08, 11:24 AM
Weird .. cause i like ME much much more than KOTOR2.
if you think the inverntory system in ME is horrible then you should see KOTOR's.

anyway i think KOTOR2 is still a game to play if you are a SW fan.
personally if i have played ME first , i wouldnt go to KOTOR2.

there is a simple reason for that, you are more of shooter/action gamer, KOTOR series is more of RPG game then ME.

|MaguS|
07-22-08, 11:59 AM
Gameplay wise I think KOTOR is far better then ME but when it comes down to story im torn, both have great strong stories but the production values in ME were beyond that of KOTOR.

Destroy
07-22-08, 12:19 PM
Gameplay wise I think KOTOR is far better then ME but when it comes down to story im torn, both have great strong stories but the production values in ME were beyond that of KOTOR.

How about if judging GUI, inventory and HUD, which is better?

|MaguS|
07-22-08, 01:01 PM
Hard to say since they both have pretty crappy inventories, the menu system of KOTOR is nicer but can't compare HUDs since the gameplay is so radically different that they each have different needs in that respect.

They dialog system is all they have incommon. The gameplay is so different for each of the games that you can't really compare them. One is a pure RPG that is running on the D&D 3.5 ruleset while the other is an action game with RPG elements.

Destroy
07-22-08, 01:15 PM
Hmm..thanks all.

Having a hard time finding KOTOR1 for sale anywhere beside Ebay.

Might be forced to stick with KOTOR2 but I think I need to search for more of a deal cause I'm still not convinced K2 is for me esp. with no legal demo to try; don't want to waste $20 on something I'm really not sure about.

Lfctony
07-22-08, 02:14 PM
Wait until the Kotor 2 Restoration pack is ready. It's nearly complete. Team Gizka has been working on it for a couple of years so far I believe...

http://www.team-gizka.org/

It's a good game about to be made much better.

KOTOR 1 is also excellent. Get it if you can find it.

Edit: Make that 3 years. :)