PDA

View Full Version : Vista HP + 5950U = no good drivers?

Redeemed
07-22-08, 03:25 AM
Hey, I recently built a system for my little sister to use primarily for school work, browsing the web, watching movies, and listening to music- she'll do zero gaming on it. It's using my old 5950U.

Now nVidia only has one driver listed for this card that'll work with Vista- yet this driver does not offer full functionality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV30) in Vista. The driver control panel isn't even available. I could download RivaTuner or nHancer just in case she ever does try to play HL2 or what not... but I'm just curious if there are any old/beta/ "un-official" drivers for this card that'll work under Vista? I know there are always leaked drivers for newer cards... might there be some leaked drivers that'll support these? According to the wiki page I linked to a few lines up, nVidia claimed they'd support the FX series till it was "EOL"... yet they've only released a single driver supporting them under Vista. Kinda' sucks.

I guess, in the absolute worst case scenerio I could always purchase a beefier card... but I'd rather not as it is a really old system (AXP 2800, ASUS A7V8X mobo, 2GB DDR500). If I did get a new video card it'd probably be the HD3850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730) as it'll offer the most "bang-for-buck"... yet I know with that card the CPU will be a MASSIVE bottleneck. Hence why I'm hoping there might be some more functional drivers for my 5950U somewhere.

TIA. :D

nekrosoft13
07-22-08, 07:44 AM
remember nvidia drivers are unified. just grab the latest driver, modded inf and install away

Lith1um
07-22-08, 11:40 AM
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ has a huge variety of drivers with modded inf's, not just for notebooks.

Check in the forums.

Redeemed
07-23-08, 01:48 AM
That'd be a lot of drivers to sift through. How hard is it to mod the .inf file? What do I need to do to mod the latest drivers to allow full functionality of this card?

saturnotaku
07-23-08, 06:11 AM
You don't need to mod the .inf yourself. Go here (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19270), download the drivers and the modded .inf. Extract the drivers, then copy the modded .inf into that directory, overwriting the existing file. Install as normal. It couldn't be simpler.

Redeemed
07-24-08, 01:33 AM
You don't need to mod the .inf yourself. Go here (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19270), download the drivers and the modded .inf. Extract the drivers, then copy the modded .inf into that directory, overwriting the existing file. Install as normal. It couldn't be simpler.

Okay, it did exactly as you directed... and now the screen is blank. As in monitor is in "standby" mode. Moving the mouse, clicking buttons, nothing works. Restart the computer, it'll boot but disables the driver. Re-installing the driver automaticaly puts the 9x.xx series I had installed before. Forcing the one you linked to with modded .inf results in the blank screen again.

Would it be more of a guarantee if I modded the .inf myself? If so, how do I mod it- what line(s) do I need to add or remove?

Redeemed
07-25-08, 03:28 AM
:rolleyes:

Okay, I've even joined up with that forum and went to create a thread asking for some assistance- no go. Seems every new thread has to be approved by a mod before it's posted (probably only for new members, not such a bad idea IMO). Anyhow, I've yet to receive word from the mods and my thread hasn't been posted over there.

I've got an E6600 just sitting in my room, along with a 512MB 7900GT. I'm, more than likely, gonna' purchase a relatively inexpensive mobo, probably 4GB of some decent G.SKill RAM- and just let my lil' sister have the E6600 and 7900GT. Originally I wanted to build a 3rd "backup" gaming rig using that proc and just sell the card. But I don't need it really. I've also got a Q6600 that I'm wanting to build a rig with. Might as well let the lil' sis put the E6600 and 7900GT to good use, I can then build a new gaming rig for myself with that Q6600 and pair it with a couple 4870X2s. If I'm as pleased with this Phenom 9600 as I am, a Q6600 will be far more than overkill for anything I need.

Thanks for all your help though. I'm just gonna' use that old rig for a Linux box. That was my very original plan for it anyways. :D

nekrosoft13
07-25-08, 07:32 AM
you got a Q6600 just sitting there? what are you waiting for !

stop using that Defective Phenom, Q6600 can run laps around it

Redeemed
07-25-08, 11:21 PM
you got a Q6600 just sitting there? what are you waiting for !

stop using that Defective Phenom, Q6600 can run laps around it

And I'd be none the wiser... literally. I've yet to use more than 35% of my proc. Never once have I seen it go above that except when running P95 SFF.

Anyhow... I have plans for that Q6600. It's going to be an entirely new build from the ground up. I want a new case, PSU, already have the mobo, new RAM, new hard drive, new optical drives, and more than likely dual 4870X2s. I'm trying to put money aside for this build but crap keeps popping up to delay it. Anyhow, in the mean time this Phenom rig is more than fast enough for anything I do. As such I'm gonna' keep this Phenom setup as a "secondary" gaming PC. I do plan to upgrade to AM3 when it comes out (early next year I believe, if not by this years' end). But that'll be a large "all-at-once" upgrade as well (fastest AM3 Phenom available, best price/performance mobo available, and probably dual 4870s).

I've already decided that I'm going to give the E6600 to my little sister, along with the 512MB 7900GT. And that old rig she's currently using I'll then use to explore and play around with Linux.

Now to go create a thread so you guys can recommend a good yet inexpensive LGA775 mobo for me. :D :p

crainger
07-26-08, 09:49 AM
To be or not to be? That is the general direction.

Redeemed
07-26-08, 12:21 PM
To be or not to be? That is the general direction.

To be. ;) Just gotta' place the order. I'll do that w/ next Friday's paycheck most likely as all my money is reserved to pay a few bills currently. :(

Unless you will pay said bills for me!? :wonder:

SLippe
07-26-08, 09:05 PM
I loved my 5950U and for a short, very short, time I had the top of the line card. Then the 6 series came out. It was a beast though! :thumbsup:

Redeemed
07-30-08, 09:55 PM
I loved my 5950U and for a short, very short, time I had the top of the line card. Then the 6 series came out. It was a beast though! :thumbsup:

Tis a great card- though I really regret getting an ASUS. I now wish I had gotten the BGF, XFX, or eVGA instead. My board seemed really odd- especially after what you'll read below- I'm thinking ASUS did something in the BIOS as my card was originally single slot.

Anyhow, a co-worker that's still on XP and using AGP needed a beefier card for TF2 (he had a 128MB 5900). So I told him for a few bucks plus his card I'd give him my 5950U since it's crippled in Vista anyway. He agrees to it. So today we do the swap, and after work I install it into my sister's computer and guess what?! I can now turn all the eye candy up and the computer runs as fast and smooth as can be. Further more, the WEI went up a whole point. I've yet to try TF2 or HL2 or what not out... but it is really odd that my 5950U (which is a noticably beefier card) did so horribly in comparison to this 5900 (an eVGA and single slot, mind you). I'm really thinking it was the VGA BIOS on my old 5950U. I'm now wishing I had flashed it to a BFG or eVGA BIOS. I probably wouldn't have had nearly as many "wierd" issues with it.

Anyhow, for now she has a significantly "snappier" computer. It'll definitely suffice untill I can purchase the new mobo + RAM for the upgrade. Oh- and this 5900 is using the exact same driver version I used on my 5950U... go figure. :rolleyes: