PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR Missing

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 06:48 PM
Well, after installing my Asus P45 motherboard that came today, I'm getting this error. My system stopped booting with my Gigabyte P35, and after installing the Asus board, it booted great, first try. So I go to delete the parition on my hard drive, and install Windows XP. Everything goes smooth, 'setup is formatting' runs 100%, but then when it gets to 'copying files', it stops around 75%. Not really sure why, then it reboots and gives me the NTLDR Missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I have two hardrives so i tried disconnecting my backup storage one in case it was getting in the way, or if my BIOS settings were wierd. I did the various commands such as fixmbr and fixboot with no luck.

I am almost positive the drive is working 100% because i did various scans last week and S.M.A.R.T. detected no errors on either of my drives. Also, i had reformatted this drive a couple weeks ago just fine with tihs same XP cd.

Any suggestions or help? I'd **** myself if the board itself was dead, this is like my 4th motherboard in the last few months.

Thanks.

malachi1313
07-22-08, 07:39 PM
Do a good format and re-install. Also make sure that you are booting to the right hardrive and partition and also that is active.

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 07:48 PM
Well that's my problem. Been running it multiple times. Two times it would get to around 75-77% on copying files (after formatting) and reboot. Recently it hung at 77% when copying mf.sys, i think that was it. I'm try a different SATA cable since i heard sometimes thats the culprit, but i seriously doubt it.

I've been doing a lot of searching around, and someone had similar problems and after formatting dozens of times it finally worked...I'm on my 4th format now.

And I only have my one hard drive connected atm.

Bman212121
07-22-08, 08:05 PM
Well that's my problem. Been running it multiple times. Two times it would get to around 75-77% on copying files (after formatting) and reboot. Recently it hung at 77% when copying mf.sys, i think that was it. I'm try a different SATA cable since i heard sometimes thats the culprit, but i seriously doubt it.

I've been doing a lot of searching around, and someone had similar problems and after formatting dozens of times it finally worked...I'm on my 4th format now.

And I only have my one hard drive connected atm.

Check your disc for scratches. I would put the XP disc into another pc and try to copy the entire contents to a folder. Sounds to me like it has something to do with the disc if it keeps doing it around the same spot. If it were other things I would think it would be a lot more random.

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 08:16 PM
Check your disc for scratches. I would put the XP disc into another pc and try to copy the entire contents to a folder. Sounds to me like it has something to do with the disc if it keeps doing it around the same spot. If it were other things I would think it would be a lot more random.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it after this attempt at formatting. It worked fine a couple weeks ago so maybe it got dirty or something. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 08:40 PM
Same thing again, hung at 77% while copying files. So I cleaned the disk off, there was a couple smudges, and maybe two or three very, very light scratches that shouldn't have an effect.

By copying do you mean basically making a new XP disc?

Zapablast05
07-22-08, 09:09 PM
Reset your CMOS settings to factory default/safe mode. If that doesn't work, try to borrow an XP CD off of someone else. I used to have this problem, turns out that it was a bad format.

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 09:36 PM
Wow cleaning the disk worked, how embarassing. I think i spent 5-6 hours trying all different sorts of things and all I needed to do was clean the disk. Thanks for reminding me to check for scratches; brb, gonna blow my head off.

nV`andrew
07-22-08, 10:00 PM
Spoke too soon..windows says ''some system files are missing or damaged''

Hmm hopefully it will let me repair.

EDIT: Same crap after repairing...ill see where reformatting for the sixth time takes me..

nV`andrew
07-23-08, 12:32 PM
Well, I believe the board is faulty. I contacted Asus after reading on newegg; someone had the same problems.

After i was able to install Windows, i would get BSOD's and lock ups after 10-20 minutes. Asus replied to the guys review that said the same thing and told him to contact their tech support, so i did the same just now.

2 Gigabytes and 1 Asus board in the last 4 months, dead :o

Thanks so far for your help guys, i tried to reformat again and the system just hung randomly. So I'll see where i get from Asus and update the situation.

Feyy
07-23-08, 05:57 PM
Had this problem before, reset the cmos and remove battery. Wait 5 mins and replace.

If problem still persists, the mobo is ****ed, send it back

npras42
07-23-08, 06:08 PM
A few things:

1) Maybe try removing some of the RAM/trying each stick individually to see if stability improves.

2) Install something other than from that disc. If you have another XP disc (even if its only SP1 or something) try that, or maybe you have a Linux distro lying around. Might show if there is simply a prob with your XP disc.

3) If you've gone through 3 mobos in 4 months are you sure there isn't something wrong with your PSU, or maybe your mains supply? It might be persistently causing damage to your new components.

nV`andrew
07-23-08, 07:24 PM
Hmm well I'm shipping it to newegg tomorrow morning for a replacement.
I'm not sure about the power supply, it's always been running fine, not sure how I could go about testing it. The computer is going in a different room upstairs this weekend in case it's a problem downstairs. The surge strip is a bit old, maybe that could be it.

Is there a way to test the power supply? I'm somewhat doubting its the main power since my previous main build worked fine for 2 years, though you never know. Everything in this rig is less than a year old. (RAM, mobo, and gpu were brand new)

I never really thought about it I've never had a dead component until my intel build which involved me going from my Antec PSU to this OCZ.

Bman212121
07-23-08, 09:00 PM
Did you try a different CD-Rom drive yet? I would stick with the simple things first. You could maybe even throw the hard drive into another pc and start the install on that and see if it does the same thing, that would rule out a lot of possibilites.

Also, is it a new Windows disc or one you've used many times before? I've seen discs that were bad brand new and needed to be swapped out.

nV`andrew
07-23-08, 09:42 PM
I may try a new CD-Rom next, although mine is fairly new and has been running fine.

I read another newegg review and someone complained about the need to have an 8 pin connector for the CPU. Heh, i only had a 4 pin connector in it. Stupid Asus put a cap over the second 4 pin and it wasn't mentioned very well in the manual. I decided that had to be the problem but I was still crashing. So I'm reinstalling again completely and seeing if that fixes it. If not, I'll repack it and ship it for a replacement.

I've had the XP disc for 2 years but I used it for 3 reformats total in that time, and always had it in it's case.

Bman212121
07-23-08, 09:58 PM
I may try a new CD-Rom next, although mine is fairly new and has been running fine.

I read another newegg review and someone complained about the need to have an 8 pin connector for the CPU. Heh, i only had a 4 pin connector in it. Stupid Asus put a cap over the second 4 pin and it wasn't mentioned very well in the manual. I decided that had to be the problem but I was still crashing. So I'm reinstalling again completely and seeing if that fixes it. If not, I'll repack it and ship it for a replacement.

I've had the XP disc for 2 years but I used it for 3 reformats total in that time, and always had it in it's case.

Hmm... For a quad core I could see needing the 8-pin, but I'm not so sure a dual core would need it. Also it's not like an install would really stress the pc either.

nV`andrew
07-23-08, 10:17 PM
PC crashed again right at the end of installing windows. I'm pointing towards the motherboard. I think ill pack it up and ship it out tomorrow. I had taken everything out, reset the CMOS, installed all the parts again, made sure everything was connected, and it still crashed. I doubt it is my drives or CD because they all worked fine last week.

Bman212121
07-23-08, 11:18 PM
Yea I'd say that's probably your best bet then. Goodluck. :)

LovingSticky
07-24-08, 09:04 AM
You may put your HDDs into another computer and make a full (not quick) format. You may also try to copy installation CD on another computer. If all this works well, RMA the board.

nV`andrew
07-24-08, 10:47 AM
Well it completes the format part fine, 100% everytime. Newegg is fairly close so I'm shipping the board out this morning and hopefully will get one tomorrow since most of my orders come in less than 24 hours. If I get a new board and have the same results then it could be the disk or something else.

Thanks everyone for helping out so far, I'll make sure to post again when the board comes.