PDA

View Full Version : DX11 Announced

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
07-22-08, 11:36 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19522

During its Gamefest 2008 developer conference in Seattle, Microsoft officially announced DirectX 11, the newest version of its multimedia API package. Like its predecessor DirectX 10, it will be exclusive to Windows Vista "as well as future versions of Windows."

Features include new shader technology that begins to allow developers to position GPUs as more general-purpose parallel processors, rather than being dedicated solely to graphics processing; better multi-threading capabilities; and hardware-based tesselation.

Said newly promoted Microsoft's Entertainment Business Division CTO Chris Satchell during a Gamefest keynote, "We want to break away from purely having a paradigm of pixels, vertices and shaders."

* Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows
* Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware, as well as support for new DirectX 11 hardware
* New compute shader technology that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor
* Multi-threaded resource handling that will allow games to better take advantage of multi-core machines
* Support for tessellation, which blurs the line between super high quality pre-rendered scenes and scenes rendered in real-time, allowing game developers to refine models to be smoother and more attractive when seen up close

Amuro
07-23-08, 12:02 AM
Great! Looking forward to the first DX11 card.

CaptNKILL
07-23-08, 12:08 AM
Tessellation could be pretty interesting if used properly. It was pretty cool on the old Radeon cards but it was far from perfect (remember the "balloon Glock" in CS).

The compute shader technology and multithreading sounds pretty cool too.

It'd be really nice if those features also improved performance in games using previous versions of DirectX.

jAkUp
07-23-08, 12:14 AM
Yea the tesselation engine on ATI cards was pretty interesting, unfortunately, close to 0 apps supported it.

nekrosoft13
07-23-08, 12:37 AM
thanks for the news

mailman2
07-23-08, 12:48 AM
Yea the tesselation engine on ATI cards was pretty interesting, unfortunately, close to 0 apps supported it.

Well it's not like any TWIMTBP games would support a feature that would only work on ATI cards. Nice to see tesselation supported in DX11. Nvidias back to the drawing board.

Maybe Nvidia can release a few more overpriced, overclocked versions of the G92 chip will be released before we see a new architecture arrive for nvidia.

Lfctony
07-23-08, 12:55 AM
How about utilising one version before announcing the next? DX10 is available on what, 10 games? Great, more upcoming hardware that won't run the new standard at acceptable speeds. And a new standard that will probably be slower without offering significant visual changes. Go DX11.... :headexplode:

Anyway, thanks for the info Jacob.

Bokishi
07-23-08, 01:13 AM
DX11 will be slowest!

crainger
07-23-08, 01:15 AM
Frontlines is looking to be the first DX11 game out.

Bokishi
07-23-08, 01:28 AM
Frontlines also compatible with DX11.1

crainger
07-23-08, 01:28 AM
Nice, when does it come out?

Redeemed
07-23-08, 01:30 AM
Right after DNF.

breathemetal
07-23-08, 01:32 AM
i dont even care anymore
when its out, its out
and ill judge then

K007
07-23-08, 05:09 AM
well...at least now dx10 will be better than something haha -.-

XxDeadlyxX
07-23-08, 05:30 AM
Well if it debuts with the next Windows, I hope the driver situation is a LOT better than Vista was for the first 6 months, the drivers were waaaay too immature.

SH64
07-23-08, 05:43 AM
Compute shader could be useful for physics usage.

the only interesting feature regarding graphics is the tesssllation support.

saturnotaku
07-23-08, 06:18 AM

And those apps that did support it were buggy at best. I remember playing RTCW on my Radeon 8500, and it suffered from the same weapon ballooning problem mentioned above in CS.

nekrosoft13
07-23-08, 07:12 AM
Well if it debuts with the next Windows, I hope the driver situation is a LOT better than Vista was for the first 6 months, the drivers were waaaay too immature.

since windows 7 is vista 2.0, drivers should be fine.

jolle
07-23-08, 07:21 AM
Tesselation without displacement is sortof pointless, you get those wierd smoothed out results TruForm suffered from by just straight up subdividing meshes like that.
But if you can read from a texture, you can use a depth map.. sorta like normal mapping but subdividing and displacing the acctual geometry, and the advantage of displacement mapping on lowpoly vs using high poly to begin with is the overhead that sending high density meshes around the system, as I understand it.. and its nicely scalable, just disable it and use normal maps on the same low res models on lower end HW.
Its been used for water at places already, crysis I think.

Could prolly be used for LODing up stuff aswell.

Dreamingawake
07-23-08, 10:13 AM
seriously the dx 10 launch was so bad, and so laughable this is hard to
take seriously.

i don't think anyone really cares !? i mean come on, we just got new gtx 280's
and 4870's..

seriously what a joke ! i've been using dx9 the whole time dx10 is out,
so maybe that means i'll just move up to dx10 when dx11 comes out
since its going to SUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdwn:

evox
07-23-08, 10:23 AM
seriously the dx 10 launch was so bad, and so laughable this is hard to
take seriously.

i don't think anyone really cares !? i mean come on, we just got new gtx 280's
and 4870's..

seriously what a joke ! i've been using dx9 the whole time dx10 is out,
so maybe that means i'll just move up to dx10 when dx11 comes out
since its going to SUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdwn:

DX10's poor adoption wasn't the APIs' fault. Developers nowadays have a hard-on for Casual/Console titles, they don't bother developing a DX10 engine from ground-up for the PC because of piracy/low revenue fears, PC isn't as attractive as it used to be because of the associated costs.

You can't really develop an engine for PC and then port it to consoles, you won't be able to achieve great amount of optimisation and it'll end up running at bad frame rates.

However, you can do vice-versa. Port a console game to PC because a modern mid-range PC is still heaps faster than X360/PS3.

If Microsoft REALLY supports PC, they should get off their asses and develop an in-house DX10/11 engine that blows the competition away. Then implement it in a kick-ass game. Now THAT would be contributing something.

|MaguS|
07-23-08, 10:38 AM
Welp thanks to this news DNF will see another delay when they restart the engine to add DX11 to it. Wonderful!

nekrosoft13
07-23-08, 10:45 AM
Welp thanks to this news DNF will see another delay when they restart the engine to add DX11 to it. Wonderful!

i see you missed the recent news, they are working on implementing DX12 in DNF

jAkUp
07-24-08, 01:11 AM
I though it was DX13 :p

BronzeGod
07-24-08, 02:28 AM
thanks for the news

That's NVnews nekroNOOB :thumbdwn::p