PDA

View Full Version : Mic not working with BF2 & Vista 64-bit, any suggestions?

Pennyboy
07-23-08, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the mic to work in Battlefield 2 with Vista 64-bit? when I use it my buddies just hear static like in the Silent Hill movie, scarey!! lol. Its pretty annoying and I was wondering if anyone has a workaround or fix they can offer me. I have had a bit of a search on the net but haven't come up with anything so far.
I hope it is fixed in the next BF2 patch but thats a long time to wait for something that may or may not get resolved.

ViN86
07-23-08, 04:20 PM
USB or mini-jack?

hokeyplyr48
07-23-08, 04:23 PM
good luck. i had horrible luck with ever getting my x-fi+mic+vista to work. can you get your mic to work in other programs?

Pennyboy
07-23-08, 05:45 PM
good luck. i had horrible luck with ever getting my x-fi+mic+vista to work. can you get your mic to work in other programs?

Actually I haven't tried using my mic for anything else. I wonder if the BETA drivers on the creative website would fix this problem?
If it wasn't for Direct x 10 I would of been happy sticking with XP, I am finding a lot of programs and things don't work well or at all with Vista :(

MowTin
07-23-08, 08:19 PM
I had this problem too. The way you setup the mic in Vista is a little counter intuitive. Go to control panel --> sound-->speakers-->right click-->properties-->levels

you may find that your mic is muted. The solution is somewhere in there.

hokeyplyr48
07-23-08, 08:45 PM
i think it also had to be something to do with the x-fi extremegamer being the worst sound card ever created. thing is a POS, and never really worked fully. if you google xtremegamer mic you'll find thousands of sights complaining about it. but i'm sure with your fatality (a nicer card) it should be better and not be plagued with similar problems

Pennyboy
07-23-08, 08:57 PM
i think it also had to be something to do with the x-fi extremegamer being the worst sound card ever created. thing is a POS, and never really worked fully. if you google xtremegamer mic you'll find thousands of sights complaining about it. but i'm sure with your fatality (a nicer card) it should be better and not be plagued with similar problems

Yeah i agree, i have always been happy with creative sound cards and never had problems but I originally bought the xtremegamer and after 3 cards!! none of which worked (may of been a bad batch). They where dead on arrival, i tried everything reinstalling xp etc etc, different PCI slots but they didn't show up, even on the IRQ screen they were not displaying the mobo just wouldn't detect them. Anyway I gave up and went back to my Audigy 2ZS and got my money back. But I gave in a year later and went for the fatality and it has been great. Well with XP, now this mic thing has arisen in Vista.

Pennyboy
07-23-08, 08:58 PM
I had this problem too. The way you setup the mic in Vista is a little counter intuitive. Go to control panel --> sound-->speakers-->right click-->properties-->levels

you may find that your mic is muted. The solution is somewhere in there.

Cool, i will give that a go!

hellawaits
07-23-08, 09:59 PM
follow what mow said ...

dunno why people are hating so much on creative; i have an x-fi platinum and vista 64 and everything works like a charm!

half the time, the problem is in between the computer and the chair

Bman212121
07-23-08, 10:05 PM
follow what mow said ...

dunno why people are hating so much on creative; i have an x-fi platinum and vista 64 and everything works like a charm!

half the time, the problem is in between the computer and the chair

Actually it's BF2 in this case. BF2 takes it upon itself to automatically switch your input to Mic in. If you have a front panel bay which is Line-in/Mic-in 2, you need to alt tab back out of the game to switch it back. :(

EDIT: Well mine actually seems to not be stupid today. So I can confirm BF2 works with Vista x64 and an X-Fi Fatal1ty.

@pennyboy: You probably just need to go under the recording tab and right click on the microphone, and set as default device. Also right click on microphone and choose properties. Click on the levels tab and move that up closer to 100 percent. I think it only defaults to 50% which is quite low.

Lith1um
07-24-08, 08:29 PM
If you can't enable mic boost in BF2 look for the following file, I think the last line is mic boost. 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

BattleCommoDefaultUserSettings.com

bacon12
07-24-08, 08:44 PM
I think the issue is vista only letting you use one device at a time, and bf2 is wanting to use something other than vista is.

I have this same issue with several games, and vent. Sometimes it royally fscks up everything, and I get no mic at all. I don't know a fix for it, I just can't use vent and something else at the same time.

Blade
07-25-08, 01:17 AM
The IO port on X-Fi cards is duall purpose, make sure it is set to mic in the Creative console & not the other option (cant remember what its called atm)

ViN86
07-25-08, 08:25 AM
The IO port on X-Fi cards is duall purpose, make sure it is set to mic in the Creative console & not the other option (cant remember what its called atm)

probably "Line In"

Pennyboy
07-31-08, 11:16 PM
Sweet guys, I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I have my fingers crossed i can get it to work as it is very annoying not having the mic working!