PDA

View Full Version : Sony, the new evil juggernaut

Lyme
07-25-08, 06:58 PM
http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1352/1

In the rugged volcanic mountains of the Congo the conflict known as Africa’s World War continues to smolder after ten grueling years. The conflict earned its name because at the height of the war eight African nations and over 25 militias were in the combatant mix. But more recently the conflict was given another name: The PlayStation War. The name came about because of a black metallic ore called coltan. Extensive evidence shows that during the war hundreds of millions of dollars worth of coltan was stolen from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The UN and several NGOs claim some of the most active thieves were the Rwandan military, several militias supported by the Rwandan government, and also a number of western-based mining companies, metal brokers, and metal processors that had allegedly partnered with these Rwandan factions.

After it is refined, coltan becomes a bluish-gray powder called tantalum, which is defined as a transition metal. For the most part, tantalum has one significant use: to satisfy the West’s insatiable appetite for personal technology. Tantalum is used to make cell phones, laptops and other electronics made, for example, by SONY, a multi-billion dollar multinational based in Japan that manufactures the iconic PlayStation, a video game console. And while allegations of plundering coltan from a nation in desperate need of revenue seem bad enough, the UN also discovered that Rwandan troops and rebels were using prisoners-of-war and children to mine for the "black gold."

"Kids in Congo were being sent down mines to die so that kids in Europe and America could kill imaginary aliens in their living rooms," said British politician Oona King, who was a Member of Parliament from 1997 to 2005.

True or not, it really paints a grim picture of Sony not caring where it gets it's components from or how, so long as they get them.

npras42
07-25-08, 07:09 PM
This doesn't sound balanced to me. They say this stuff is used to make electronics but why did they single out Sony and the PlayStation? They say it used in cell phones (so Nokia, Motorola or LG don't use it), laptops (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple), other electronics (AFAIK nowadays companies like Samsung, Toshiba blow Sony away for income/revenue/sales). Not many electronic giants out there work all that 'ethically' but seems to me they've just picked out Sony because of their high-profile.

ViN86
07-25-08, 07:25 PM
LOL sony slaughters baby elephants for resources.

Igor Vitaly
07-26-08, 06:06 AM

True or not, it really paints a grim picture of Sony not caring where it gets it's components from or how, so long as they get them.

But then its all about the greens. I mean they hype, lie and FUD on every possible occasion, corner and place! :clap2:

Revs
07-26-08, 06:27 AM
Bloodtronics.... the new blood diamonds?

BioHazZarD
07-26-08, 07:36 AM
ah shutup

H3avyM3tal
07-26-08, 09:07 AM

It says for example, SONY. I wonder who are the rest?
Do we really wonder?

ViN86
07-26-08, 09:37 AM
It says for example, SONY. I wonder who are the rest?
Do we really wonder?
this is why i laugh at people who complain about living in the US. freakin idiots dont know how good they have it.

msxyz
07-26-08, 11:28 AM
Tantalum is mainly used inside capacitors. I remeber a few years ago tantalum capacitors were very expensive and used mainly where stability and long life are a must.

I don't know if the average electronic device has many tantalum capacitors in it or the much cheaper alluminium electrolytic ones are used instead. Anyway, the whole coltan thing has been blown out of proportion. About only 1% of the total annual tantalum production comes out of Congo.

Vasot02
07-26-08, 11:34 AM
Micro$oft and XBOX360 Rulezzz111 :captnkill:

|MaguS|
07-26-08, 11:51 AM
Sony is so horrible... yet they are one of the most enviromental friendly companies...

crainger
07-26-08, 09:15 PM
Sony ate my baby. ::(:

|MaguS|
07-26-08, 09:37 PM
Sony ate my baby. ::(:

Thought you did after playing GTA?

LORD-eX-Bu
07-26-08, 09:48 PM
****ing awesome, I can't wait to buy more electronics :D

crainger
07-27-08, 03:02 AM
Thought you did after playing GTA?

No, but I raped a woman in front of the neighbours kids after injecting morphine after watching the Fallout 3 E3 trailer.