PDA

View Full Version : Australia on R raiting for video games (ABC Q&A)

K007
07-25-08, 11:02 PM
Last night I was given the opportunity to bring up the issue of the R rating and government censorship of video games on the ABC television program "Q&A".

http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/4750383?latest=1

Have a read watch of it. I loved the question that was brought up near the end and that was a "Oh Snapped" moment..and the dude who brought that isn't even a gamer

& The game was banned in Australia due to the use of morphine and not the violence..clearly shows how they are not even in sync with wtf is going on...

l4KR3nmDpz0

nutcrackr
07-25-08, 11:44 PM
Joaby wants to shoot up drugs and shoot people!

XxDeadlyxX
07-25-08, 11:58 PM
Well done for getting the issue out there! :) Hopefully OFLC is listening...

Mr_LoL
07-26-08, 12:55 AM
Politicans. Got to hate the bastards.

K007
07-26-08, 01:27 AM
I bet if 75% of the profit goes to the government this game would have a rating of G.

crainger
07-26-08, 02:29 AM
I love how they focus on the violence, when Fallout 3 wasn't even banned for violence. It was banned for using morphine. The same drug I USED IN FREAKING HOSPITAL! OMG IMA KILL YOUS ALL!

Did anyone see the episode of Good Game with the OFLC employee that came out and said that things are majorly screwed there?

Anyway he basically said that he and his colleges test the games and would vote on the rating, a lot of banned games and movies actually made the MA rating according to the votes, yet for some reason the games are banned. The same applied for games and movies that were voted to extreme would make it through.

This issue will come to boiling soon. More and more people are shopping overseas, once the retail chains feel the pressure they will lean on the government.

npras42
07-26-08, 03:36 AM
I love how they focus on the violence, when Fallout 3 wasn't even banned for violence. It was banned for using morphine. The same drug I USED IN FREAKING HOSPITAL! OMG IMA KILL YOUS ALL!

What the hell does using morphine have to do with anything? Its one of the most commonly used drugs to treat pain. Would they have banned it if the drugs used were less obvious ones such as pethidine or fentanyl?

WeReWoLf
07-26-08, 07:34 PM
First off, if i was the person who asked the question, i would have mentioned that the drug that was being injected was morphine. Second, i'd have rebutted all of the idiotic claims from the panel as soon as they were mentioned. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who has no clue about something pretending that he does.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-26-08, 08:01 PM
crikey

crainger
07-26-08, 08:12 PM
First off, if i was the person who asked the question, i would have mentioned that the drug that was being injected was morphine. Second, i'd have rebutted all of the idiotic claims from the panel as soon as they were mentioned. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who has no clue about something pretending that he does.

Yeah, especially about the game being about mindless killing. It's about survival, meeting peeps, doing quests, exploring.

Take away their pictures of naked children and lets see how the politicians react...

XDanger
07-27-08, 10:30 AM
Lots of intravenous injections in Bioshock, Did they ban that in oz?

Sgt_Pitt
07-27-08, 11:05 AM
It was a pretty narrow minded and shallow debate.

I haven't seen anything worse than what's in movies.

I mean the only good suggestion that came out of it was having an R rating on games, well duh, why havent the retarded politicians added it yet.

I'll be getting the game regardless if its banned or not. No snotty nosed politician is going to stop me thats for sure.

I mean i dont care if they ban stupid **** like raping games, or something thats over the top - but Fallout ?? c'mon, get some common sense.

ralinn
07-27-08, 12:45 PM
As soon as Joaby asked his question and the guy summerized Fallout 3 as badly as possible to lead the audience into hating it instantly... I just switched it off. It's too frustrating to watch. I spotted a lady on the panel too, so it probably turned into a "being a mother of x children blah blah blah" discussion anyway.

WeReWoLf
07-27-08, 03:39 PM
She said exactly that too!

crainger
07-27-08, 04:45 PM
Lots of intravenous injections in Bioshock, Did they ban that in oz?

Yeah all drugs are now banned in Australia. Too much of a chance we will go crazy and rape women in front of our neighbours kids.

It's so frustrating to see polititians struggle to grasp the fact that the average gamer is 30 AND games are not just for kids. Sure kids can play video games, but that doesn't mean they should play ALL video games, just like they can watch TV, but that doesn't mean they should stay up and watch Dexter or Clockwork Orange.

I just remind myself these 'learned' people, are old and will soon die/retire, letting a new generation take control, then maybe I can play Fallout 3.

shabby
07-27-08, 06:02 PM
Are gun's banned in australia too? Surely they're more dangerous than *sigh* a game :angel2:

crainger
07-27-08, 06:29 PM
We have were strict gun laws, but you can own handguns and rifles, assault rifles and the like are a no no.

However, a child would find it near impossible to obtain a gun, unless they lived on a farm. Yet a child can obtain a violent game very easily. How? They just ask their dumb**** parents.

Beagle was in EB the other day and told me she saw a 6 year old with his mother buying one of the GTAs, the kids said, "It's a driving game" The mother didn't even question it, didn't check the rating or anything. THIS is why they ban games, they know even if there was an R rating, dumbass parents would still buy the game, then complain and whine their kids have a violent game when they play up at school.

K007
07-28-08, 04:05 AM
As soon as Joaby asked his question and the guy summerized Fallout 3 as badly as possible to lead the audience into hating it instantly... I just switched it off. It's too frustrating to watch. I spotted a lady on the panel too, so it probably turned into a "being a mother of x children blah blah blah" discussion anyway.

Yes, and these people are quiet happy to have under aged girls pictures put up for the public to see. BUT NO TO FALLOUT 3...