PDA

View Full Version : How is Samsung 245BW?

GeeTeeEx
07-27-08, 09:28 PM
So yeah, for those of you that have it/have had it/have seen it, how is/was it? (lol...)

Btw, what exactly is the difference between what ppl call TN display, IPS (or ISP) display, and something like AVP display?!? (XD sorry I'm a noob when it comes to display solutions)

Thanks

wolfgar
07-27-08, 10:31 PM
So yeah, for those of you that have it/have had it/have seen it, how is/was it? (lol...)

Btw, what exactly is the difference between what ppl call TN display, IPS (or ISP) display, and something like AVP display?!? (XD sorry I'm a noob when it comes to display solutions)

Thanks

I have the 245Bw.

I find it quite acceptable for day to day and high end gaming. I have it connected to a NV 8800GTX. plays crisis well.

Pro: HUGE, price, refresh speed, size, 1920x resolution, DVI+Analog connectors, easy access front controls, height adjustment with rotation

cons: not for higher-end photo editing (I forget: 6 or 8 bit color) Fine for day to day and (above) average user. photo experts wanting exacting color reproduction will need to spend 2-3 times.

Irrelevant features: swivel base (once a month?) , and Pivot panel (one in 8 months, for work related)

Because of the size and resolution, I normally run in 1600x1200. I actually don't like my browsers set to full screen. Too many sites are not coded properly to run high res and wide screen. Maybe its just personal preference. Its annoying to actually look so far left and right.

I got it for $400 at a local bigbox CostCo.

I studied, features vs cost, desire vs need, ....; for weeks; and decided I really couldn't justify the insane Dell prices, or other large screen options (for 200-400 more). In the end I couldn't justify it to myself.

I am very pleased with my 245b.

TN vs IPS (and many more) refer to the LCD technology behind the panel. I am not an expert, (so don't want to mislead) but if you google for 245b reviews you will find many sites comparing the LCD technologies and specific monitors.
TN is an older LCD technology. IPS is a technically superior (and more expensive) for its better color reproduction (re: photo editing)

The 245b is a TN LCD panel.

Suggestion: when you are comparing monitors, don't get caught up in the viewing angle comparisons. Really, how often do you use it except straight on.

Be careful, there are a lot of brand-x manufactures packaging what are really LCD TV's as computer monitors. There is a difference. (HDMI connectors without a native DVI is one warning flag) And think twice about integrated speakers, they usually suck.

GeeTeeEx
07-28-08, 06:20 AM
I have the 245Bw.

I find it quite acceptable for day to day and high end gaming. I have it connected to a NV 8800GTX. plays crisis well.

Pro: HUGE, price, refresh speed, size, 1920x resolution, DVI+Analog connectors, easy access front controls, height adjustment with rotation

cons: not for higher-end photo editing (I forget: 6 or 8 bit color) Fine for day to day and (above) average user. photo experts wanting exacting color reproduction will need to spend 2-3 times.

Irrelevant features: swivel base (once a month?) , and Pivot panel (one in 8 months, for work related)

Because of the size and resolution, I normally run in 1600x1200. I actually don't like my browsers set to full screen. Too many sites are not coded properly to run high res and wide screen. Maybe its just personal preference. Its annoying to actually look so far left and right.

I got it for $400 at a local bigbox CostCo.

I studied, features vs cost, desire vs need, ....; for weeks; and decided I really couldn't justify the insane Dell prices, or other large screen options (for 200-400 more). In the end I couldn't justify it to myself.

I am very pleased with my 245b.

TN vs IPS (and many more) refer to the LCD technology behind the panel. I am not an expert, (so don't want to mislead) but if you google for 245b reviews you will find many sites comparing the LCD technologies and specific monitors.
TN is an older LCD technology. IPS is a technically superior (and more expensive) for its better color reproduction (re: photo editing)

The 245b is a TN LCD panel.

Suggestion: when you are comparing monitors, don't get caught up in the viewing angle comparisons. Really, how often do you use it except straight on.

Be careful, there are a lot of brand-x manufactures packaging what are really LCD TV's as computer monitors. There is a difference. (HDMI connectors without a native DVI is one warning flag) And think twice about integrated speakers, they usually suck.

thanks a lot for your review of 245bw and the explanations. Really helps out a ton :)

stevemedes
07-28-08, 09:06 AM
TN panels suck. They have horrible viewing angles, usually along with significant backlight bleed and overbright backlights. Pros for them are they have low response time and are cheap. MVA, PVA and IPS are better panels, can display more colors (8bit vs 6bit) and usually have more uniform backlighting. They are more expensive though.

stevemedes
07-28-08, 01:35 PM
TN panels most certainly do not suck. They are just fine for gaming and are actually preferred due to the low response time, I mean really, how many angles do you view your monitor with when gaming besides looking directly head on at the screen? LOL.

Backlight bleeding varies from panel to panel, I have seen some TN panels hardly do it at all and then some that do it a lot.

no tn panel can hold a candle to even a mediocre ips or mva panel