PDA

View Full Version : GF8200 mobo sound/video issues

Pages : [1] 2

kaptkarl
07-28-08, 11:04 AM
I purchased a ECS mobo w/ the latest nvidia chipset/on baord 8 series video/7.1 channel sound - GF8200. I'm having some issues. I cannot go above 1028x768 rez w/o alot of flickering and sound distortion. Makes no sense to me. How is the sound and video related? Unless i have a defective board. If i set the desktop to 1028x768 everything works great, and fast too. But the minute a set the desktop to 1400x900 (my monitor default rez) I get flickering and sound distortion.

This board came highly rated and has alot of bells and whistles. Any feedback?

Kapt

nekrosoft13
07-28-08, 11:09 AM
i have the same board in my Phenom X4 build. are you using hdmi to dvi cable or straight hdmi?

all latest drivers? (not from cd)

there is really nothing else, could be defective board, mine runs fine.

kaptkarl
07-28-08, 03:51 PM
i have the same board in my Phenom X4 build. are you using hdmi to dvi cable or straight hdmi?

all latest drivers? (not from cd)

there is really nothing else, could be defective board, mine runs fine.

I'm using a vga cable for the video, and using the sound jacks for the audio. Do you think this is the problem? Will I get better video performance using the HDMI jack for video even though my monitor only supports up to 1400x900?

Kapt

kaptkarl
07-28-08, 03:54 PM
oh and yes I'm using at the latest drivers from ECS's website. NVidia's site doesn't even have drivers listed for the GeForce8200. At least I could not find them.

Kapt

Heinz68
07-28-08, 04:09 PM
I'm using a vga cable for the video, and using the sound jacks for the audio. Do you think this is the problem? Will I get better video performance using the HDMI jack for video even though my monitor only supports up to 1400x900?

Kapt
You have digital monitor, either the correct DVI OR HDMI connection is better choice.
The VGA adapter is for analog monitors.

kaptkarl
07-28-08, 04:36 PM
You have digital monitor, either the correct DVI OR HDMI connection is better choice.
The VGA adapter is for analog monitors.

I realize that, but that does not address my first post. I will change cables and see if that has any effect.

Kapt

kaptkarl
08-01-08, 05:04 PM
Well I changed cable to DVI to HDMI and still have the same issues. when I set the rez above 1028x768 is get video corruption, video slowdown, sound distortion.

I've RMA'd back to newegg and have a replacement coming next week.

BTW, ECS support sucks!! I've contacted them 3 times in the last 1 1/2 weeks about this issue and they have yet to respond. Thank goodness I have 30 days to return to newegg.

Kapt

kaptkarl
08-02-08, 12:06 AM
Finally receeived a reply from ECS and get this.............they're telling me that 1400x900 may be a limitation for the on-board chipset. I say BS. Glad I RMA'd the board today.

Kapt

nekrosoft13
08-02-08, 12:24 AM
1400x900 is not a limitation. I had run 1080p on mine

kaptkarl
08-02-08, 12:28 AM
1400x900 is not a limitation. I had run 1080p on mine

Yeah I didn't think so. That's just crazy. Defective board. Hopefully my replacement board will work just fine. Should get it next week. I post my results then.

Thanks nekrosoft13.

Kapt

acapde
08-15-08, 12:32 PM
Hi Kapt,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my GF8200A... is yours working fine now?

Should I get a replacement for mine or just buy a new MB from another company, I'm frustrated already.

I received mine from Newegg recently but it has been nothing but problems.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Best regards.

Andy.

kaptkarl
08-15-08, 01:03 PM
Hi Kapt,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my GF8200A... is yours working fine now?

Should I get a replacement for mine or just buy a new MB from another company, I'm frustrated already.

I received mine from Newegg recently but it has been nothing but problems.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Best regards.

Andy.

I RMA'd mine back to Newegg and rev'vd a replacement Monday. And guess what.....the replacement does the same thing!!! I'm in contact w/ ECS to figure out what's going on. I have spoken to several others that own this board and they love it. I'm going to keep it......seems to me to be a software issue as the more I play with the drivers/setting the better it gets. I show no conflicts or errors in windows.

I'm using my EVGA 9800 GTX+ vid vard anyway, so the on-board vid is just as a backup. No sound issues when I use the 9800 vid card. Everything runs smooth, and extremely fast.

NOTE: I now can set the resolution (on-board video) to 1400x900 w/o any video corruption. However when I do the on-board sound becomes distorted. I find that very strange.

I also find it strange that I would have the same issue with two different brand new boards.

Still working on it.

Kapt

CaptNKILL
08-15-08, 02:12 PM
Just in case you don't have the latest video driver, try this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

And you might want to try installing the latest nforce driver package first:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_730a_710a_winxp_18.11.html

It has an older video driver in it, but I guess it'd be worth it to try that too.

kaptkarl
08-15-08, 02:56 PM
Just in case you don't have the latest video driver, try this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

And you might want to try installing the latest nforce driver package first:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_730a_710a_winxp_18.11.html

It has an older video driver in it, but I guess it'd be worth it to try that too.

Yeah I'm using the latest Forceware driver 177.83. I've tried several different ones w/ the same result.

My system is running great right now w/ my EVGA 9800 GTX+ card installed. I guess I'll leave it be for now.

I still think the odds are that it's a software issue. What are the odds of me getting two different boards w/ the same issue?

Kapt

kaptkarl
08-15-08, 02:58 PM
I've contacted ECS again today about this issue. Let's see what they say about it. I'll post back when I hear from them.

Kapt

acapde
08-15-08, 03:57 PM
Thanks Kapts, pls, keep us posted.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and I've installed VGA driver 175.19. Even if running at only 1024x768 I have to reduce hardware acceleration a notch to avoid flickering, with higher resolution I get the flickering regardless of the HW acceleration setting.

If I remove the VGA driver completely then I get ok audio.

I should probably get a VGA card and forget about the built-in one... I've bought this MB because of this feature, if I can't use it I feel ripped-off.

Rgds.

RhinoNY
08-18-08, 03:44 PM
Hey Kapt,

I have an GF8200A with exact same severe flickering problem you posted here and in newegg forums about. I've tried VGA and HDMI, both under Vista x64, and ALL combinations tried shows this problem. I agree that it's likely a software issue.

Have you tried Vista x86 or either XP by any chance? I really don't want to drop to those OS, but will if I have to.

Please keep me posted here as to what you find out, I've opened an issue with ECS as well and will reply with what I find out. In particular, I'm curious if your new mobo fixes the issue. It's arleady too late for me to RMA mine to newegg, as it's past 30 days. I didn't find the issue as I didn't get the box off my builder area (which has a 1024x768 15" test monitor!), so I didn't even know there was an issue until it was too late.

Thanks,
Rhino

RhinoNY
08-20-08, 11:15 AM
I figured out what this issue is.

In BIOS, you need to change HT Frequency Audio from 200mHz (default) to Auto. Then the flickering and audio dropout issues disappeared. It's running flawlessly now.

Why HT would be 200mHz for "default" loaded BIOS settings is beyond me. Seems broken.

- Rhino

kaptkarl
08-20-08, 11:44 AM
I figured out what this issue is.

In BIOS, you need to change HT Frequency Audio from 200mHz (default) to Auto. Then the flickering and audio dropout issues disappeared. It's running flawlessly now.

Why HT would be 200mHz for "default" loaded BIOS settings is beyond me. Seems broken.

- Rhino

That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll try it and post back.

Kapt

nekrosoft13
08-20-08, 12:21 PM
if that really fixes the issue, might explain why I don't have this problem. I overclocked my Phenon system 2-3 days after building it.

you two should report that to ECS, so they might release new bios update with that issue fixed

RhinoNY
08-20-08, 12:52 PM
Yeah I believe we both have tickets open with ECS. They are supposed to be giving me a callback today sometime. The thing is, if they have gone in and configured their BIOS correctly, they won't be able to reproduce. But when they do call I'll be sure to pass along the info.

Rhino

kaptkarl
08-20-08, 01:28 PM
if that really fixes the issue, might explain why I don't have this problem. I overclocked my Phenon system 2-3 days after building it.

you two should report that to ECS, so they might release new bios update with that issue fixed

Yes it fixes the issue. I just reported it to ECS. BTW, thier tech support is aweful. I got more help from this forum than from ECS. You would think that they would know how to troubleshoot thier own board.

I've also noticed a huge improvement in performance w/ my EVGA 9800 GTX+ vid card. I thought the card was performing a little sluggish in Crysis, but chalked it up to the game being taxing on the card. After I made the change to the BIOS, Crysis now flies...+10fps increase....huge improvement.

I've also noticed my pc as a whole is a tick quicker.

Thanks guys!

Kapt

RhinoNY
08-22-08, 01:21 PM
Yeah with HT running probably 13x faster, it's no wonder the system is a bit snappier. ;-)

I build a few dozen systems a year as part of my side business, and I always try to avoid ECS and PCChips, but the deal on this mobo was too sweet to ignore, and the reviews on newegg (at the time) were quite good. Oh well, live and learn (again!).

ECS (and PCChips) tech support simply blows. I still have not received a reply to my email sent 6 days ago! If I hadn't found their support # on the newegg forums, I would still be waiting (I suspiciously couldn't find it on their own website). I haven't gotten a call back regarding my open case either, and it's been 3 days now with that. I doubt I ever will get a call back. I wouldn't be suprised a bit.

So yeah I'm sick of dealing with them. It seems like every time I get an ECS or PCChips product it has some issue. On my last PCChips mobo if one of the fan headers was plugged in, the system wouldn't boot (although the same fan would work fine on any other header on the board). On my ECS board before that, the serial port was dead and wouldn't recognize in Windows. A year or so ago I had an ECS board that if you push a DIMM in DIMM2, the system would BSOD left and right (multiple times per day, often when simply booting Windows), but the 3 other sockets were fine. The list goes on and on. Their products are just really flakey.

In years gone by, the only thing you had to worry about with the cheap mobo's was they wouldn't last more than a few years due to cheap components, but at least they worked from the get-go. Today, the cheap mobo's almost always have something wrong with them from the get-go *and* they don't last long. It's just not worth the heaches to save $30 or so.

- Rhino

kaptkarl
08-22-08, 03:02 PM
Yeah with HT running probably 13x faster, it's no wonder the system is a bit snappier. ;-)

I build a few dozen systems a year as part of my side business, and I always try to avoid ECS and PCChips, but the deal on this mobo was too sweet to ignore, and the reviews on newegg (at the time) were quite good. Oh well, live and learn (again!).

ECS (and PCChips) tech support simply blows. I still have not received a reply to my email sent 6 days ago! If I hadn't found their support # on the newegg forums, I would still be waiting (I suspiciously couldn't find it on their own website). I haven't gotten a call back regarding my open case either, and it's been 3 days now with that. I doubt I ever will get a call back. I wouldn't be suprised a bit.

So yeah I'm sick of dealing with them. It seems like every time I get an ECS or PCChips product it has some issue. On my last PCChips mobo if one of the fan headers was plugged in, the system wouldn't boot (although the same fan would work fine on any other header on the board). On my ECS board before that, the serial port was dead and wouldn't recognize in Windows. A year or so ago I had an ECS board that if you push a DIMM in DIMM2, the system would BSOD left and right (multiple times per day, often when simply booting Windows), but the 3 other sockets were fine. The list goes on and on. Their products are just really flakey.

In years gone by, the only thing you had to worry about with the cheap mobo's was they wouldn't last more than a few years due to cheap components, but at least they worked from the get-go. Today, the cheap mobo's almost always have something wrong with them from the get-go *and* they don't last long. It's just not worth the heaches to save $30 or so.

- Rhino

This is my 4th ECS mobo and I have had no problems whatsoever with thier products. The great price, along w/ the specs lead me to buy this board. Now that I have it working, it is awesome. Performance is great for the price. I never have purchased PCChips products and probably never will as I've heard some bad things about them.

I feel the same way about Abit boards as you do about ECS and PCChips. I'll never, ever buy another Abit board. They have a "holier than thou" attitude and nothing ever goes wrong with thier products. They always blame something else.

Anyway, thanks for the help. And no ECS has not responded to my request yet. Incredible.

Kapt

kaptkarl
08-25-08, 08:43 PM

- Rhino

Hey Rhino, I finally rec'vd a response from ECS tech support. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your information. We appreciate your help by informing us about your issue and how you solved it. We actually tested a motherboard with the same resolution on a VIZIO HD monitor at resolution 14400x900 and we didn't have to change anything in the BIOS. We did not see any issues with flickering images. It is hard to troubleshoot when we don't have the same hardware. Maybe it is needed to change the HT when you use that monitor. My intention was not to blame on your monitor. We are glad that you found a way to fix your issue. We will pass your information along as it can be very useful.

Thank you.

I wonder if they have a updated BIOS on the recent boards. I did see on thier website that there was a BIOS upgrade. The first BIOS was 4/17/08, the last one was 5/17/08 I believe. Seems alittle bit fishy to me.

Anyhow, thought you'd find it interesting.

Kapt