PDA

View Full Version : Soul Caliber IV

Pages : [1] 2

Odral
07-29-08, 09:55 AM
This game comes out today...who is getting in on some action? I have been a long time SC fan and they are a blast. I am looking to pick up a copy during lunch today and for me it will be the PS3 version.

tornadog
07-29-08, 10:13 AM
played it over the weekend at a friend's place...multiplayer kicked ass but I generally stay away from fighting games, so thats probably the most I will see from that game. the graphics did look pretty sharp and the character models were really well done especially Yoda!!!

Marvel_us
07-29-08, 10:36 AM
Is it available in stores today? Usually it just ships today but the game comes out tomorrow. Anyway, I'll be picking this one up. Sigh, that reminds me...I need to finish building my arcade stick.

ralinn
07-29-08, 01:30 PM
Probably give this a miss. I'm a little too much of a SF fan so I don't really like the way most 3D fighters work. Most of them seem to be an unbalanced, button mashy mess. Not that SC4 is gonna be like that... but just going from experience of most other 3D beat em ups.

Marvel_us
07-29-08, 11:00 PM
Picked up the game today and really liking it so far. Play some versus matches with a friend and the gameplay/graphics are really great. Had to step out so I'll sink my teeth into the game tomorrow if I get some time.

crainger
07-29-08, 11:19 PM
I may get this, I liked SC2 on xbox.

Lyme
07-29-08, 11:40 PM
I'm going to pick this up, I loved the others in the series.

Slybri
07-30-08, 12:04 AM
Been playing it for a few hours on the 360. The backgrounds are okay, about the same as DOA, but the character models are freaking AMAZING! The facial expressions and texture of the outfits are really well done. The metal armor looks fantastic. There's also a lot of ass, for folks who like a lot of ass in their game. I did however notice some messed up clipping of sword hilts through titties on Shura, which scarred my psyche. (pb) Yoda doesn't show his ass at all, though, which is good.

They've added a sort of RPG element to the game, where you can purchase or unlock items and abilities and customize the characters. The Items all have stat modifiers, like in an RPG. Characters also level up as you play them, unlocking more advanced moves. Makes the single player game more addictive. You can also undress them to their undies, if you want a more DoA Extreme Beach Volleyball feel to the game, you dirty bird you!

There was a video on the net showing Vader and Yoda fighting, so it's possible they will give us Darth Vader as DLC eventually. Yoda would probably kick Vader's ass every time though. (duel)

OldOfEvil
07-30-08, 03:24 AM
Are their different characters on each console? I recall SC2 or 3 had Spawn on the Xbox, Hiachi(sp) from Tekken on the PS2 and then Link on the GC version.

NaitoSan
07-30-08, 04:26 AM
Yes, PS3 edition has Darth Vader and X360 edition has Yoda. Both console have main character from Star Wars Force Unleashed.

Marvel_us
07-30-08, 08:31 AM
There was a video on the net showing Vader and Yoda fighting, so it's possible they will give us Darth Vader as DLC eventually. Yoda would probably kick Vader's ass every time though. (duel)

Only because Yoda is broken as hell. Most if not all high attacks go right over his head and he can't be grabbed by anyone in the game, not even Yoda vs Yoda.

ViN86
07-30-08, 08:44 AM
i just cant justify spending $60 on games like this. i need a game that will provide countless hours of online play or at least a lot of gameplay time.

am i right with this observation? looks like a Mortal Kombat-esque game that will offer a few hours of gameplay and tire quickly.

sytaylor
07-30-08, 10:03 AM
i just cant justify spending $60 on games like this. i need a game that will provide countless hours of online play or at least a lot of gameplay time.

am i right with this observation? looks like a Mortal Kombat-esque game that will offer a few hours of gameplay and tire quickly.

So so so so VERY wrong.

SC is one of the deepest most intricate fighting franchises in history. It is superbly balanced, and offers much more than Tekken or VF5 at the surface level. It has a wonderful learning curve, its accessible to button mashers. Fun for intermediates, and at the expert level it is the fastest chess you will ever play.

It's also just plain SATISFYING, in a way very few modern games are. It's got the old school replay-ability that makes it a staple in your collection. The stories are usually pretty good and well through out too. It's not an RPG, but if you like that sort of thing its catered for.

Its the opposite of Mortal Kombat. The only similarity they have is accessibility. From there the two are polar opposites. As I've gotten older I buy less and less games, and other things compete for my attention, but I will set time aside for SC4. I love the franchise THAT much.

The first Soul Calibur was pretty universally agreed to be the best technical fighter ever, and doesn't lack in the fun department. And they haven't broken that at any point.

Rent the game, see if it sucks you in. But learn a character pretty well before you give up the effort. Ideally mitsurgi. If after a weekend of kicking ass, you don't want to buy it, I'd be surprised. I actually convinced 6 friends to buy a Dreamcast many years ago because they played the first SC.

ViN86
07-30-08, 10:06 AM
So so so so VERY wrong.

SC is one of the deepest most intricate fighting franchises in history. It is superbly balanced, and offers much more than Tekken or VF5 at the surface level. It has a wonderful learning curve, its accessible to button mashers. Fun for intermediates, and at the expert level it is the fastest chess you will ever play.

It's also just plain SATISFYING, in a way very few modern games are. It's got the old school replay-ability that makes it a staple in your collection. The stories are usually pretty good and well through out too. It's not an RPG, but if you like that sort of thing its catered for.

Its the opposite of Mortal Kombat. The only similarity they have is accessibility. From there the two are polar opposites. As I've gotten older I buy less and less games, and other things compete for my attention, but I will set time aside for SC4. I love the franchise THAT much.

The first Soul Calibur was pretty universally agreed to be the best technical fighter ever, and doesn't lack in the fun department. And they haven't broken that at any point.

Rent the game, see if it sucks you in. But learn a character pretty well before you give up the effort. Ideally mitsurgi. If after a weekend of kicking ass, you don't want to buy it, I'd be surprised. I actually convinced 6 friends to buy a Dreamcast many years ago because they played the first SC.

k, looks like i will be going to blockbuster after work :)

ill give it a week, then ill post my feelings on it.

H3avyM3tal
07-30-08, 12:19 PM
^Lol that was quick :)
I hope you'll love it as some of us do :)

ViN86
07-30-08, 12:39 PM
^Lol that was quick :)
I hope you'll love it as some of us do :)

lol well i forgot about the rental option. it's only $10. if i hate it, then i will just bring it back :lol:

Slybri
07-30-08, 12:46 PM
The character creator is pretty fun too. I've already made a Superman looking guy and a few really hot chicks. I'm gonna get hooked on unlocking new items. I think there's even a bear suit in there somewhere.
Saw a few wacky custom characters online last night. Pretty funny.

Hopefully this game will keep me amused till September when the big games start rolling out. I was so bored I started replaying Hellgate:London, God help me.

I'm Slybri007 on Xbox live if anyone wants to fight. I'm still sorta button mashing at the moment, but I've got the strategy guide and I'm learning! lol

Mr. Hunt
07-30-08, 01:41 PM
I have no idea why... but I have the urge to buy this... I have hated all other SC games.... but yet... I want to buy this one and I really can't pinpoint why... maybe I just desire a new fighting game... maybe I like the character creator... I have no idea why!

ViN86
07-30-08, 01:52 PM
i still need to rent before im convinced, heh.

i hate being a poor college kid lol.

NaitoSan
07-30-08, 03:56 PM
I want to buy PS3 edition but I don't have money. :( Maybe next month...

Lyme
07-30-08, 07:46 PM
The key element that separates SC from the other fighters, is that SC isn't hand-to-hand combat, but it is weapon combat.

They've added a sort of RPG element to the game, where you can purchase or unlock items and abilities and customize the characters. The Items all have stat modifiers, like in an RPG. Characters also level up as you play them, unlocking more advanced moves. Makes the single player game more addictive.

The previous SC's had the questing kind of thing for weapons, etc..

crainger
07-30-08, 09:11 PM
The questing was pretty fun.

H3avyM3tal
07-31-08, 03:30 AM
I have no idea why... but I have the urge to buy this... I have hated all other SC games.... but yet... I want to buy this one and I really can't pinpoint why... maybe I just desire a new fighting game... maybe I like the character creator... I have no idea why!

It's the chicks. There is your reason, and a pretty damn good one at that.
100% chicks.

Mr. Hunt
07-31-08, 10:22 AM
It's the chicks. There is your reason, and a pretty damn good one at that.
100% chicks.

Maybe... the pics of Ivy have been enticing lol... nah doubt that is it, because I still hate the DOA series.

Lyme
07-31-08, 02:59 PM
Bought the game yesterday. It looks and runs really nicely. I really like change they added to blocking, stops people from turtling all the time.