PDA

View Full Version : Resolution/Framerate

patrickjs89
07-29-08, 06:27 PM
I have a question that has been bothering me lately and I just don't know what to stick with. Is it recommended to run a game at the default resolution, or the resolution of the monitor? Each game is different, for instance, on Crysis, if I run the game at 1280x1024 (native, monitor), I'll get around 30-50 FPS, when I run it at 1024x768 (default), I get like 45-65 FPS. But on Call of Duty 4, it's pretty much the same at either resolution.

Am I just better off at not messing with the settings for resolution?

npras42
07-29-08, 06:51 PM
Its better to run at the native (or as high as possible) resolution as long as you are getting reasonable framerates throughout. TBH if 30fps is the lowest it ever gets in Crysis for you that is pretty acceptable in that particular game, but I wouldn't allow anything less than 45fps for 95% of the time in COD4.

CaptNKILL
07-29-08, 07:36 PM
I have a question that has been bothering me lately and I just don't know what to stick with. Is it recommended to run a game at the default resolution, or the resolution of the monitor? Each game is different, for instance, on Crysis, if I run the game at 1280x1024 (native, monitor), I'll get around 30-50 FPS, when I run it at 1024x768 (default), I get like 45-65 FPS. But on Call of Duty 4, it's pretty much the same at either resolution.

Am I just better off at not messing with the settings for resolution?
I'm a little confused by your question.

Higher resolutions give you a better looking, sharper image. The speed of your computer will determine how smooth the game runs at any resolution, and since you're using an LCD, you really want to use your monitor's native resolution to prevent scaling (it looks bad).

Each game is different because each game stresses your computer in a different way. CoD4 is significantly less stressful than Crysis, so you can use higher resolutions without getting poor frame rates.

If you don't notice much difference between 1024x768 and 1280x1024 visually, then just use the one that runs smoother.

Bman212121
07-29-08, 09:48 PM
A lot of games are designed to just throw out a base setup with medium settings that will work with groups of cards. Chances are the game isn't really tailored specifically to the card you have so you can easily turn up the settings and still get better quality. The other thing is that if games defaulted to too high or two low of a resolution some monitors can't handle those resolutions, which results in a blank screen when you load the game. Most games pick 1024 x 768 because it is one of the most common resolutions to find on a monitor.