PDA

View Full Version : E Sata Exteranl HDD query

rakesh27
07-30-08, 10:03 AM
All,

At the moment i own a Asus Crosshair AM2 mobo, it has 2 e sata ports on the back.

1) E Sata port connected to external 500GB WD HDD and detected in Vista64

2) E Sata port connected to external 500GB WD HDD but not detected in Vista64

The second drive is now connected via USB, which works fine, how ever yesterday i took the USB cable out and attached back the esata cable and it did detect my hdd, but then slowly turned off.

What am i doing wrong, cos my second drive wont work via ESata properly, the first drive works perfectly, its really wierd, the first drive shows up in bios but the second doesnt, any ideas people. Thanks

nekrosoft13
07-30-08, 10:29 AM
what sata controller is it?

what mode is that controller in? AHCI, SATA(IDE), eSATA, RAID?

connector between SATA and eSATA are different, but not every eSATA connector actually runs in eSATA mode.

for my eSATA controller has the correct eSATA plug, but it will only run in SATA or RAID mode (can be changed by bios update)

main difference between SATA and eSATA is hot-pluging. My "eSATA" controller partially supports hot-pluging. It will detect a HDD when is pluged in, but when you disconnect it it always causes an error in event viewer. That is not correct according to eSATA standard.

To help you better answer those questions on top.

rakesh27
07-30-08, 11:02 AM
Its in SATA mode, i have connected both drives via 2 esata cables to the back of my pc which has 2 esata ports on it.

nekrosoft13
07-30-08, 11:04 AM
can you provide the full name of the controller? name that shows up in device manager

rakesh27
07-30-08, 12:19 PM
What ill do when i get home i will check the controller and provide the information.

rakesh27
07-30-08, 12:20 PM
I will once i get home tonight

nekrosoft13
07-30-08, 12:36 PM
another thing i want to mention is that I have 3 esata cards.

2 PNY eSATA cards (based on Silcon Image 3132 chip, stuck in Raid mode, Bios locked, can't be flashed)
1 Syba eSATA card (based on Silcon Image 3132 chip, flashed with SATA bios)

the Syba card will detect all eSATA HDDs that i tried so far, but is not a real eSATA card, since it generates that error.

PNY cards don't generate that card, but they don't like some eSATA enclosures and HDDs. For instance it works with WD in Thermaltake enclosure, but doesn't work with Seagate eSATA retail or with Vantec eSATA dock.

Good thing is that PNY card works great with Optical drives.

What is really suprising for me that PNY card has Raid bios on them, but fully function with eSATA specs, but don't work with some HDDs.

I tried flashing Syba card with Raid bios, and it stop detecting HDDs at all. Then I flashed it again with SATA bios it started detecting HDDs again, but full eSATA function was still gone.

rakesh27
07-30-08, 12:48 PM
I have the same controller as yours. i can tell by the name you have mentioned.

nekrosoft13
07-30-08, 01:13 PM
http://www.pricescan.com/ItemImages/ImagesL/190639.jpg

this one?

rakesh27
07-30-08, 04:36 PM
Actually its not the same the one i have is called Silicon Image Sil3132 Satalink Controller and its built into the mobo, the board is Asus Crosshair AM2+

nekrosoft13
07-31-08, 09:27 AM
techinically is the samething. just yours is onboard and mine is pci-e.

nekrosoft13
07-31-08, 10:36 AM
if possible try the enclosure that is not working on second eSATA port that is working.

you could also try it with different PC, or buy eSATA to SATA cable and hook it up internally see if it works.

Are both of those WD enclosures the same? If they are and one is working and second is not. My guess would be eSATA port on one of those enclosures is broken.

rakesh27
07-31-08, 03:50 PM
Yep done this, but guess what ? just now booted up PC when it detects the drive in bios boot up i turned on the second drive and it detected.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee, i can see both drives in bootup as soon as vista64 loaded both drives are detected and in use.

I knew it was wierd it wouldnt work, touch wood it should be fine now and working correctly.

Thanks for all your suggestions.