PDA

View Full Version : American Mcgee Grimm Ep1 Free!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
07-31-08, 11:10 AM
http://www.gametap.com/grimm/

The newest GameTap Original title, American McGee’s Grimm, consists of 24 individual standalone game episodes, each of which is based on a classic fairy tale such as Little Red Riding Hood or Beauty and the Beast.

The game’s main character, Grimm, is a crude dwarf who believes that the lessons offered in the original tellings of famous fairy tales have been lost over time as the stories have been watered down with talking woodland creatures and Happily Ever After endings for all of the characters – whether they deserve it or not. As Grimm, players transform these toothless interpretations of the tales into dark and twisted versions of the story.

You can also download it here:

http://www.gametap.com/web30/media/Grimm_Demo/setup.exe

vandalous
07-31-08, 11:41 AM
http://www.gametap.com/grimm/

You can also download it here:

http://www.gametap.com/web30/media/Grimm_Demo/setup.exe

Downloading... thanks for the link, Jacob!

methimpikehoses
07-31-08, 11:57 AM
Nice, downloading client at 105KB/sec! :cool:

CaptNKILL
07-31-08, 04:42 PM
First episode is free? That's a pretty awesome idea for getting people to play your episodic games.

Not sure if I'm into this kind of game or not but I'm downloading it now.

NaitoSan
07-31-08, 04:50 PM
First episode is free? That's a pretty awesome idea for getting people to play your episodic games.

Not sure if I'm into this kind of game or not but I'm downloading it now.
All eps will be free for first 24 hours. After that, you have to pay but they will remain to be free for gold members.

methimpikehoses
07-31-08, 05:48 PM
So I played through the whole thing... took maybe 25 minutes. Definitely dark and twisted, but the actual gameplay was VERY rudimentary... a 7 year old could play it. Not in a good way either. It was like MarioWorld but easier. I guess the challenge is that you are supposed to complete the level in the fastest time. I hope I'm missing something, because there was no challenge at all.

Graphically interesting I guess, and I did like how twisted the premise is.

CaptNKILL
07-31-08, 07:32 PM
As methim said, the gameplay is barely there. You can use the keyboard, but you really only need the mouse. Left click runs forward, right click jumps. That's it. Jump twice to do a butt stomp. All you do is run all over the place to spread darkness all over the level. There aren't even many jumping puzzles (not that that's a bad thing).

The graphic style is different as far as games go, but its too simplistic for my tastes. You could pull up any Flash movie or recent terrible looking Cartoon Network show and see the same art work. Psychonaughts made good use of the cartoon look. This game doesn't IMO.

The story and the dialog are just sort of "there" too. Nothing funny or interesting. The "twisted" thing seems forced and not really "bad" enough to be note worthy. It seems like its aimed at children (under 12), but some of the stuff that's going on doesn't seem like its good for kids that young (hanging people with nooses, burning teachers at the stake). If it isn't meant for kids, its way too tame to seem "dark" to an adult.

All around, its just bland. Unless they change the graphic style considerably in each episode, I don't see how this could possibly stay interesting past the first episode or two.

The only thing I found interesting about it was the animations and effects use when turning things dark. Some of it is pretty cool looking. But since the only real "game" is to finish the levels as fast as possible, you can't really take your time and watch what happens in the game world.

methimpikehoses
07-31-08, 09:13 PM
The concluding animation sequence was interesting... very dark and pessimistic. Not sure if it was worth "playing" the game for though. :|

Yeah, it isn't aimed for children content-wise... but gameplay-wise it's more simple than anything I can think of.

CaptNKILL
07-31-08, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it isn't aimed for children content-wise... but gameplay-wise it's more simple than anything I can think of.

I think the developers should have made up their mind about the game being for adults or kids.

You have lame fart jokes and a guy saying "stinky" and "butt" constantly, with a corny Disney sounding intro song. Then you hang a bunch of people (complete with choking and neck snapping) and turn a bunch of children into matches so they can set fire to their teacher while saying BURN BABY BURN!!

If it would have actually had adult humor it would have been entertaining, but they went for kiddy humor with adult content.

*shrug*

I don't know. I won't pretend to have high expectations of American McGee after hearing how horrible Bad Day L.A. was.

methimpikehoses
07-31-08, 09:36 PM
Totally agree. It was very weird, I give it that. Still not nearly as creepy as Alice.

|MaguS|
07-31-08, 09:56 PM
I loved the game. It was fun to play, basic yes but a fun game. I loved the art direction of the game and it was gloomy aswell as dark. I was suprised how dark it was considering it was, I thought the content was going to be more fitting for children but the talk of death and murder was constantly there.

Yeah its not the most deep game and can be completed quickly but I loved the atmosphere and I am also a fan of these fairy tales.

Over all im glad I have a GameTap subscription. :D

Bearclaw
07-31-08, 10:20 PM
I liked the part where I had to go on a pantie raid in the sorority house.

nutcrackr
08-01-08, 03:04 AM
Well....

I didn't find it amusing or really that enjoyable. There is a slight amount of completion satisfaction when you are making everything dark. But honestly it was pretty bad/boring.

NaitoSan
08-01-08, 04:04 AM
I love this game! It's funny and very simple gameplay that you can hop in and play when you have nothing else to do. The art style is excellent and different. I like how they make it like a muppet play or something. This reminds me a lot of katamari (the style). I'm surprised how dark and twisted it is (especially in one scene where little kids' being hanged or impaled. Screenshots doesn't show the game any justice. You just have to play it to see by yourself.

I can't wait for upcoming episode. I also am a fan of Grimm's tales.

nutcrackr
08-01-08, 05:14 PM
PC Gamer US review http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/american-mcgees-grimm/review/american-mcgees-grimm/a-20080730124716901064/g-20070518144624946088

61%

Tygerwoody
08-01-08, 08:43 PM
uhhhh I can't change my resolution or any options for this game. Is this correct?

|MaguS|
08-01-08, 08:48 PM
Nope... you can change the resolution and settings...

Sobbsy
08-01-08, 08:52 PM
Nope... you can change the resolution and settings...

Bad Day LA was the same, might be the same engine. There was a workaround for it but stuffed if I can remember. I actually liked Bad Day LA by the way, it was fairly poor quality and the voice acting was beyond retarded, but I liked the environment and setting. It just appealed to me as an everyday shooter.

|MaguS|
08-01-08, 08:55 PM
Work around? Just go into the options menu and select your desired resolution... Theres nothing that needs to be done.

Sobbsy
08-01-08, 09:20 PM
Work around? Just go into the options menu and select your desired resolution... Theres nothing that needs to be done.

Right, but Bad Day LA had set resolutions and you couldn't change them, had to use some outside trickery to force it to what you want. I haven't played Grimm yet but some of the previous comments led me to think it had the same 'problem' as Bad Day LA.

Clearly it doesn't, so goodie.

methimpikehoses
08-01-08, 09:39 PM
I could change resolution but didn't see options for AA or AF. Bad form.

nutcrackr
08-01-08, 10:00 PM
is this the ue3 engine if so that explains
1)how bad the shadows suck ass
2)lack of AA native support

Airbrushkid
08-02-08, 01:40 AM
I wanted to try it but it won't let me install it on another drive other then C: so I guess I won't be trying it. I do not install any of my games on C: on the OS and some programs hames go on my other drives.

CaptNKILL
08-02-08, 01:56 AM
Yeah I found that a little strange too. The installer just shows a progress bar and then disappears, leaving a shortcut on the desktop.

No start menu shortcuts, nothing in the game browser...

jAkUp
08-03-08, 01:43 AM
Just played this today, acutally not too bad. It is much better than bad day LA :)