PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a motherboard

stoowey
07-31-08, 04:17 PM
Noobie post here!

I have a set of 4GB ( 2 x 2GB ) Corsair Dominator memory DDR2-1066 and I would like to know what motherboard this will work in at the rated speed. I'm aware that 1066 is merely overclocked 800mhz memory but I bought it and I'm stuck with it so please advise accordingly.

I do NOT plan on overclocking...well maybe a little down the road...but not in the near future.

I have a Q6600 GO stepping CPU.

I have been looking at the X38 series motherboards because they have a proven track record over the X48 and P45 chipsets. Plus, they seem to have more refined BIOS's than the aforementioned chipsets along with better memory handling and performance which I feel is a direct result of the refined BIOS's. I have a P35-DS3R Gigabyte board but it is off being repaired.

I have been looking and I had narrowed my choices down to one of three boards:

ASUS Rampage Formula - $ 269
ABIT IX38 Quad GT - $209
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 - $209

I'm willing to pay the extra for the ASUS if someone can confirm that this memory DOES INDEED work at the 1066 speed...but i hear a lot of issues with vdroop...is that right?

Please assist me....or suggest a board that might work better. The key thing here is CONFIRMED compatibility with my 1066 memory and running at the rated speed.

lduguay
07-31-08, 04:42 PM
ASUS Rampage Formula will run your memory at the rated speed provided that you give it 2.2v or higher

Stoneyguy
07-31-08, 06:25 PM
I can't confirm it with your memory, but with my memory the ASUS Rampage can do 1066. I do have issues when I push my 6600 past 3ghz. I can't confirm that the issue is solely my memory but dropping it down to 1000 at that point did help stabilize my system.

stoowey
08-01-08, 09:27 AM
So, what is a respectable overclock to strive for with the Q6600? 3GHz?

Stoneyguy
08-01-08, 10:19 AM
Well 3GHz puts it in the 6850 stock speed, so I guess it would be respectable. People seem to have little problem getting them up to 3.2 on air.

CaptNKILL
08-01-08, 10:49 AM
:lol:

Love the avatar stoowey. Ski Free was a great game back in the day. :D

stoowey
08-01-08, 10:50 AM
So, you have the ASUS board, right?

Anything about it you don't like, wish it had, or had any issues with it? How do you think it compares to the other two that I have listed as "maybe's"?

stoowey
08-01-08, 10:51 AM
:lol:

Love the avatar stoowey. Ski Free was a great game back in the day. :D

Thanks! Nothin like an "oldie but goodie" And when I found that, I had to have it...you wouldn't believe how many people actually don't know what that is from.

CaptNKILL
08-01-08, 11:02 AM
Thanks! Nothin like an "oldie but goodie" And when I found that, I had to have it...you wouldn't believe how many people actually don't know what that is from.

I remember playing it on my brother's Packard Bell back in 94 I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Free

I was never very good at it but its one of those cheesy old games that for some reason has a lot of style. :p

stoowey
08-01-08, 11:22 AM
I remember playing it on my brother's Packard Bell back in 94 I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Free

I was never very good at it but its one of those cheesy old games that for some reason has a lot of style. :p

I still play it here at work when I'm bored. I've got all the old windows 3.1 games...heck it's only 87kb. In fact, here it is...Just change the file extention to .EXE,

Enjoy!

stoowey
08-01-08, 11:28 AM
Now back to the motherboard question? Anyone?

Stoneyguy
08-01-08, 07:07 PM
I do have the Asus Rampage motherboard. I have it in the setup shown by my sig. The motherboard is great. Well laid out and stable.

I do wish it had better cooling on it's chipsets. They are very hot, especially the northbridge. I plan on buying a few more case fans soon.

stoowey
08-02-08, 05:52 PM
I wonder if the Gigabyte and Abit boards and any better in that aspect??