PDA

View Full Version : What is bluetooth really?

Capt. Picard
08-01-08, 02:41 AM
I still am not sure what bluetooth really is. Is bluetooth the protocol that is used to carry data via radio frequencies or is bluetooth a technology (what is the technology?) that uses "other" protocols to carry data via RF?

crainger
08-01-08, 02:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

From my understanding Bluetooth is a collection of protocols to form The Bluetooth Protocol Stack.

CaptNKILL
08-01-08, 03:06 AM
Wow, it only has 1Mbit or 3Mbit bandwidth? That isn't very much at all...

dxx
08-01-08, 05:28 AM
Wow, it only has 1Mbit or 3Mbit bandwidth? That isn't very much at all...

Indeedie.

This is something I had to sit my flatmate down to discuss in detail when he had it in his mind that it'd actually be a good idea to buy a digital camera with bluetooth for wireless photo transfers. It's remarkable how much effort it requires for some minds to grasp that 1mbit = theoretical max = about double what you'd actually get = megabits anyway = 1/8th of a megabyte = 1/20th of the size of a photograph = about 20 seconds to transfer a single photo = 10 minutes to transfer only about 30 shots = about a week to transfer a memory card full of pictures and videos and stuff. Compared to 15MB/s for a USB card reader.

I met this flatmate while working at Dell.

crainger
08-01-08, 07:01 AM
It's nifty for phones, not much else. Sony likes it for remotes, except it chews through batteries faster than my harmony and it's used 5 times more often. Also cool to turn a WM6 phone into a Sideshow device.

nekrosoft13
08-01-08, 07:31 AM
bluetooth was and still is ****ed.

so many years passed and this crap still doesn't work well, 3 or 4 different companies developing bluetooth drivers that half time are not very friendly to each other.

is fine for headsets, that is about all.

crainger
08-01-08, 07:55 AM
I can't stand Bluetooth drivers. I have had a lot of troubles getting it to work on my Vista AND XP machines. I ended up getting them to work but accident on the Vista rig and have just left the BT dongle plugged into the USB of my G15, it's happy, the drivers are happy and I'm happy. Although randomly the BT tray icon will take a holiday. ::retard::

nekrosoft13
08-01-08, 07:57 AM
which one do you have?

personally i tried 3 different dongles, all required different driver stacks.

Broadcom, Toshiba and BlueSoiel. Toshiba drivers are the worst.

crainger
08-01-08, 09:04 AM
I have a Motorola one, only supports XP officially. I got it working with a 64bit driver someone stole from the MSI ftp and posted on rapidshare.

David power
08-01-08, 11:13 AM
Its almost the something as IEEE 802.11 (wifi) slight variations on the pro stack were made with an emphasis on mobility and security, I think its IEEE 802.14 or 15, 15 sounds right in my head.

crainger
08-01-08, 11:40 AM
Did you get your name from an Irish hairdryer?

XDanger
08-01-08, 08:08 PM
my BT dongle isn't up to spec for connecting a ps3 controller.

crainger
08-01-08, 08:26 PM
I should try that. Has anyone got their PS3 controllers working in Vista 64?

Bman212121
08-01-08, 11:08 PM
I should try that. Has anyone got their PS3 controllers working in Vista 64?

AFAIK you can't use Bluetooth with the PS3 controllers to a pc. There is a driver that allows you to use them via usb though. I've used multiple PS3 controllers on the same pc with the usb driver.

Zapablast05
08-02-08, 04:36 AM
The name is self explanatory- bluetooth. It's a tooth that's blue :p. Look at Blu-Ray, it's a ray that's blue. Why is there no "E" in Blu-Ray? Why is there no actual blue tooth on my phone??

Starscream
08-02-08, 09:24 AM
What is bluetooth really?

The biggest joke in the computer industry.

Zapablast05
08-02-08, 11:11 AM
The biggest joke in the computer industry.

It used to be Vista...

Zelda_fan
08-02-08, 01:20 PM
bluetooth is a wireless technology that works very well for short range devices.

Probably the best use for it is ear pieces and GPSes on cellphones.

RaidenWoW
08-02-08, 01:21 PM
I only got 187kb/s max on my bluetooth transfer folder.

I only use my Wireless G connection to transfer files now :(

If only bluetooth transfered files wirelessly @ about 5mbps, that would be GREAT.... All I need is a short distance wifi connection that can transfer files from one computer to another.

Zelda_fan
08-02-08, 01:47 PM
I only got 187kb/s max on my bluetooth transfer folder.

I only use my Wireless G connection to transfer files now :(

If only bluetooth transfered files wirelessly @ about 5mbps, that would be GREAT.... All I need is a short distance wifi connection that can transfer files from one computer to another.

It's not mean to replace wifi. It's meant so that various peripherals (like keyboard, mouse, headset, printer, etc) can be wireless.

XDanger
08-05-08, 09:11 AM
AFAIK you can't use Bluetooth with the PS3 controllers to a pc. There is a driver that allows you to use them via usb though. I've used multiple PS3 controllers on the same pc with the usb driver.

it needs a HCI + LMP 3.0 bt adapter or something