PDA

View Full Version : Ok..playing STALKER on new GPU...Mods?

Pages : [1] 2

K007
08-01-08, 04:27 AM
Ok i am installing STALKER, and this time i want to play it through using max settings ><. I am pretty sure my 4870 can give me some nice effects compared to my 7950GX2.

A few questions...what mods should i get for quality wise? I see this float32 business...is there AA in this game now? Do i force it through the ati ccc?

Cheers.

CaptNKILL
08-01-08, 05:19 AM
Here is a post I just made recently in another thread...

I played it quite a bit when it came out but I mostly just wasted time running around doing meaningless quests. And the number of buggy side quests that appeared randomly sort of burned me out.

I installed a few mods and started playing it from the beginning a few days ago and its SO much better! This really is an amazing game. I just wish I had a bit more graphics horse power to push the game at higher resolutions. In complex city\factory areas my framerate tanks pretty bad (from 70s to the low 30s). Its probably because of the mod I'm using that enables parallax occlusion mapping.

I also made new weapon sounds for all of the guns using sounds I made for other games mixed with ones from the STALKER Sound Overhaul mod (and the weapon sound config files from that mod). I always hated the wimpy sounding guns in this game. Even the sound mods that people make using "real gun sounds" are absolutely horrible so I just spent 2 days and made one myself. Gun fights are so much more satisfying now.

Here are the mods I'm using:

Smart Mod Manager (recommended for easy installation of the Zone Reclamation Project)
Float32 2.0
Zone Reclamation Project 1.05 (has lots of configuration options that fix a ton of bugs and make the game much more polished and enjoyable)
Stalker Real Gun Names v.3
S. W. O. (Stalker Weather Overhauled) 2.2.1 (also has an add on for advanced parallax mapping which looks amazing but seems to really hurt performance)
Fair Trade "Vanilla" (gives the traders more goods to sell, without unbalancing the game... their stock changes as you progress, and each trader has slightly different pricing and different levels of items depending on where they are in the zone... this is how the game should have been, rather than making money worthless after getting to the Bar)

The game is much better like this. I have trouble pulling myself away from it once I start playing. And when I do stop playing I usually go right back to it within an hour. :D

Been putting a lot of hours into the game and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'm so glad that the community has come together and made such great mods for this game. Its one of those games that is completely unique but has a lot of flaws. With the mods (mostly the ZRP) many of the flaws are fixed so you can really appreciate the game for what it does extremely well. The only area that its still lacking in is the translation and dialog. Its still a bit confusing and the writing could use a lot of work.

Damn... now I have to go play it some more. There goes another 6 hours of my time. :lol:

K007
08-01-08, 05:24 AM
Yep i installed the float32 i saw your post before as well.

From looking around there dosen't seem to be anyway to get true AA in this game. The only option is that 'blur' thing. The game runs like butter with everything maxed out..i just freaking love the shadows in this game...its so realistic and no character fubar shadows like mass effect.

CaptNKILL
08-01-08, 05:43 AM
I think it really hurts performance, but one of the addons for the S.W.O. mod enables parallax occlusion mapping, and it looks AMAZING. If you have performance to spare, enabled it.

I actually dropped my resolution down to 1440x1080 (from 1600x1200) so I could keep the minimum framerates up with that mod running.

I haven't actually played the game without parallax mapping recently though... I'm not sure how much it really effects the performance, the game just seems slower than I remember it being.

And no, there isn't any AA with Dynamic Lighting enabled. Which probably sucks if you have an LCD that can't do a very high resolution.

K007
08-01-08, 05:48 AM
well i have a crt hehe ><

g-a-m-e
08-01-08, 01:31 PM

well then, 2048 res and screw AA . :thumb_up:

Also, isnt the float32 mod included in the latest patch ??

bacon12
08-01-08, 01:42 PM
I heard this one is awesome.

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost;86329

wysiwyg
08-02-08, 01:04 PM
I heard this one is awesome.

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost;86329

pretty good but damn its tough :headexplode:

CaptNKILL
08-02-08, 01:28 PM

Same here. 1440x1080 is the proper 4:3 resolution between 1280x960 and 1600x1200. Its rarely used though.

It works perfect for the desktop on my CRT and it seems to be the sweet spot in some of the more graphics heavy games. Its basically 1080p resolution with a smaller field of view.

I run most games at 1600x1200 or 2048x1536 depending on the performance. STALKER with mods slows down a little too much in some areas (Dark Valley bandit base is pretty slow) so I use 1440x1080. I sacrificed resolution for more graphics settings in Crysis, so I run that at 1280x960. This is why I haven't upgraded to an LCD yet. I use more than one res all the time, so a native res just won't work for me.

K007
08-02-08, 08:57 PM
hmm i am gonna try that ress captn...i wonder if my monitor can do 85hz on that..

oh what...cant add custom resolutions in ati ccc..haha -.-.

crainger
08-02-08, 09:06 PM
HAHA! ATI FTW?!

::D:

Unstable_Hero
08-02-08, 10:52 PM
Yep i installed the float32 i saw your post before as well.

From looking around there dosen't seem to be anyway to get true AA in this game. The only option is that 'blur' thing. The game runs like butter with everything maxed out..i just freaking love the shadows in this game...its so realistic and no character fubar shadows like mass effect.

with nvidia 8800 AA works in vista native. Xp needs nhancer aa modes. Performance takes big hit.

CaptNKILL
08-03-08, 05:06 AM
hmm i am gonna try that ress captn...i wonder if my monitor can do 85hz on that..

oh what...cant add custom resolutions in ati ccc..haha -.-.

I added it to the nv_disp.inf manually before installation since most 4:3 resolutions have been removed (since obviously everyone on the entire planet is using an LCD now... :retard: ).

CaptNKILL
08-03-08, 04:02 PM
Doesn't it completely change the gameplay though?

CaptNKILL
08-05-08, 04:40 AM
Well I just got to the end. I guess.

Apparently I didn't play the game correctly because I got a pretty lame ending...

Nice to know that now.

Question for those who have finished (highlight):
Is there any way to effect what happens at the end without redoing the whole game? I got the "I want to be rich" ending, which needless to say, sucks.

Also, this game is badly in need of English subtitles. It would have been nice to know what the wish granter was saying to me.

I also never found "door to the secret lab" and it was never marked on my map. The whole last part from Pripyat to the end seemed sort of rushed so I don't really know what happened.

EDIT: Nevermind... see my next post.

asd
08-05-08, 06:24 AM
Anyone know how to join freedom in OL? I completed all the major mission for them, now the Duty just hate me and shot when they see me, so I have no choice but to clean out the whole Duty base, now I really need to know how to join the freedom.?

CaptNKILL
08-05-08, 06:36 AM
OK, I went back and found the place I was SUPPOSED to go. At least it was right in the last level.

Final thoughts (spoilers):
I tried the ending where I join C-Consciousness. Didn't seem like the right choice. So I tried again with the other one.

The whole ending level with the portals and stuff seemed reaaaallllly sloppy and completely unnecessary. Especially since the ending video seemed to pick up right where the conversation with C-Consciousness left off. I actually got stuck in a few areas that seemed unfinished but had items in them. I thought it was the right way so I quicksaved and then I found I was stuck and had to reload from the beginning of that scene. Very annoying. And the earthquake thing was pretty frustrating when trying to out shoot a sniper.

Still, the "good" ending video seemed pretty good. I love the CG style they used for the videos in this game. Very realistic looking, yet stylish. I like what they did with the story too. It came together pretty well considering the rough translation.

The ending portion from Pripyat on felt a lot more rough and unpolished than the rest of the game, so that kinda sucked, but overall I give the game an 8 with mods. Its an awesome game, it just has a LOT of flaws. If the translation had been better, there were english subtitles for the Russian speech, the last few areas were more solid and the whole roof-top portal level was completely cut I'd give it an easy 9. The gameplay is very fresh and it doesn't play like any other game. Hopefully clear-sky keeps the same gameplay style and just polishes everything better.

FastRedPonyCar
08-07-08, 01:48 PM
my cordon at night video... :D

this is just a short video but the difference is very noticable on all aspects. this mod truly polished the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSnEaJ5oApA

that's entirely too dark. they must have forgotten that even on a moonless night, your eyes will adjust and you'll still see SOMETHING. I've spent many nights outside away from the city and not once has it been pitch black.

And the fact that the moon is out on the game in that video you recorded tells me that yeah it needs to be dark becuase it's at night but that there needs to be some moonlight illuminating the environment.

They get an A for effort but D- in execution. :thumbdwn:

And to top it off, a camp fire should light up a LOT more than a little 8 foot radius around it. :rolleyes: Double fail.

nekrosoft13
08-07-08, 01:54 PM
i drove a Moskvich before ;)

CaptNKILL
08-07-08, 01:56 PM
that's entirely too dark. they must have forgotten that even on a moonless night, your eyes will adjust and you'll still see SOMETHING. I've spent many nights outside away from the city and not once has it been pitch black.

And the fact that the moon is out on the game in that video you recorded tells me that yeah it needs to be dark becuase it's at night but that there needs to be some moonlight illuminating the environment.

They get an A for effort but D- in execution. :thumbdwn:

And to top it off, a camp fire should light up a LOT more than a little 8 foot radius around it. :rolleyes: Double fail.

If you make the vid fullscreen your eyes will adjust and its really not that dark. It only looks pitch black because its on a white background. :p

Melfranks
08-08-08, 06:11 PM
with nvidia 8800 AA works in vista native. Xp needs nhancer aa modes. Performance takes big hit.

XP does not need nHancer, AA works from the NVIDIA control panel.

Mel

crainger
08-10-08, 04:52 PM
Take you riding in my car, car. Take you riding in my car, car. I'll take you riding in my car.

Noriega
08-10-08, 05:40 PM
Take you riding in my car, car. Take you riding in my car, car. I'll take you riding in my car.

Click clack, open up the door, boys front door, back door, clickety clack

FastRedPonyCar
09-07-08, 10:30 PM
just re-installed, patched, installed float32, weather overhaul 2 and oblivion lost. Very fun. I never really played it at all before.. maybe 10 minutes, got bored and went to something else. this is about the only game I've yet to actually give a fair shake so I'm glad I went back to it.

I'll go ahead and say that the first encounter with the invisible mutant... holy ish.. I about pissed myself. I had killed all the soldiers down in that sewer type place with the green radiation bubbles after I rescued the mole but I heard something...not human and couldn't see anything so I assumed it was the developers way of messing with me. I hit a dead end and backtracked back through the section and then heard it again and it was like right behind me so I turned around and boom there it was. :o

Then that other one that sent a bunch of rats at me and then does that wierd camera zoom trick attack... man.. this stuff is pretty freaky.

Oh one thing. I don't know if I'm stuck or not but the mole and a few other good guys are all next to the entrance to the underground sewer I went into. I came out near an army base, snagged the documents and it says to get the mole to safety but he's not showing up on my map?? The green target on the map is loacted I guess where I'm supposed to take him but I don't know where he went or how to get him to follow me or anything.

halp!