PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about the xbox 360...

Loreman
08-02-08, 08:44 AM
Hey there I have got myself an Xbox 360 as mentioned in the other thread.

I don't have an HD TV yet but I bought the VGA adapter cable to run it on my PC's 22" LCD.

Anyway, for whatever reason the xbox claims that a pc monitor capable of running 1680 x 1050 is standard def, whatever that means could have something to do with the connection being just the analog VGA but I digress (I actually connected it succesfully using a HDMI adapter I got from dick smiths and the monitor said digital but the graphics seemed the same). Regardless I run it at the highest widescreen res I can.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the social multiplayer gameplay the console provides with more than one controller and also got a copy of GTA IV and Halo 3.

But the graphics don't look so good. GTA IV looks alright but it also looks kind of blocky, fuzzy, and weird, especially in the distance. Is this the same on a HDTV? Same for Halo 3. Objects and enemies in the distance look really jaggy and terrible.

To be clear though, I don't care, I enjoy the gameplay I am just wondering if I am getting the best experience and maybe this effect is caused by the VGA component cable or possible a computer monitor shows up the defects where a TV kind of blurs them out?

Would this look awesome on a HDTV? Is there some kind of magic res to run the Xbox 360 at?

Am I just used to high res PC content and I am being to picky?

Regardless, great console, just want to know if there is a better setup than running it into my LCD monitor with the VGA cable from Microsoft? And also whats the best res?

Thanks in advance.

S.I.N
08-02-08, 12:01 PM
Hey there I have got myself an Xbox 360 as mentioned in the other thread.

I don't have an HD TV yet but I bought the VGA adapter cable to run it on my PC's 22" LCD.

Anyway, for whatever reason the xbox claims that a pc monitor capable of running 1680 x 1050 is standard def, whatever that means could have something to do with the connection being just the analog VGA but I digress (I actually connected it succesfully using a HDMI adapter I got from dick smiths and the monitor said digital but the graphics seemed the same). Regardless I run it at the highest widescreen res I can.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the social multiplayer gameplay the console provides with more than one controller and also got a copy of GTA IV and Halo 3.

But the graphics don't look so good. GTA IV looks alright but it also looks kind of blocky, fuzzy, and weird, especially in the distance. Is this the same on a HDTV? Same for Halo 3. Objects and enemies in the distance look really jaggy and terrible.

To be clear though, I don't care, I enjoy the gameplay I am just wondering if I am getting the best experience and maybe this effect is caused by the VGA component cable or possible a computer monitor shows up the defects where a TV kind of blurs them out?

Would this look awesome on a HDTV? Is there some kind of magic res to run the Xbox 360 at?

Am I just used to high res PC content and I am being to picky?

Regardless, great console, just want to know if there is a better setup than running it into my LCD monitor with the VGA cable from Microsoft? And also whats the best res?

Thanks in advance.

Yes! You have to remember you cant just turn up AA an AF on these games and not to mention you are sitting right up in front of them. They both look pretty decent on my 32" which I use for gaming at 1080i from about 10 feet. Also try messing with the reference color settings, the last setting makes most of my games look great.

Loreman
08-02-08, 07:52 PM
I'll give that a go.

Lyme
08-02-08, 10:39 PM
GTA4 doesn't have high end graphics. Try downloading one of the demo's off xbox live (free silver subscription required).

Loreman
08-03-08, 10:22 AM
I pretty much meant everything I have atm.

Halo 3 through to Forza all have this sort of look.

Great fun though.

Lyme
08-03-08, 02:33 PM
Got a digital camera? What look?

note: I'm not doubting you, simply interested in knowing exactly what your referring to.

S.I.N
08-03-08, 02:59 PM
Probably washed out. VGA for me was kind of blurry and muted.

Lyme
08-03-08, 04:28 PM
Probably washed out. VGA for me was kind of blurry and muted.

Did changing the black reference level help any?

skoprowski
08-03-08, 05:29 PM
The 360 does not support 16:10 resolutions currently. You are seeing an image that is being scaled by your monitor which is causing some of the artifacts. The new fall dashboard update for the 360 will include 16:10 support. This should help out quite a bit. 360 reps stated a 16:9 image will be letterboxed in a 16:10 resolution.

S.I.N
08-03-08, 06:10 PM
Did changing the black reference level help any?

I think that update came after I switched over to HDMI and never hooked it back up to VGA to try out the reference color levels

nekrosoft13
08-03-08, 06:19 PM
Is this the same on a HDTV? .

yes it is the same.

Xion X2
08-03-08, 06:56 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but a lot of guys forget to do it so here goes.

Did you change the resolution settings in the options menu when you powered on the console?

Lots of times stores will put these on display and forget to do that. Makes the games look like crap. Pixellated and jaggie.

nekrosoft13
08-04-08, 08:15 AM
If you are used to high-res PC games with tons of AA and AF, console games will always look pixilated and jaggy there is no way around that. Maybe when next set of consoles arrives they will learn what AA and AF are.

This is exactly what Loreman is talking about.

EciDemon
08-04-08, 08:33 AM
I also use the official VGA cable with a 22" flat screen, the cable is good quallity so you dont loose anything there, but setting correct reference level is important else colors look very washed out (this is due to white/black levels differs from TVs and Monitors)
As for resolution, go with 1280x720 if you ask me as most games nativly outputs to that.

S.I.N
08-04-08, 10:14 AM
If you are used to high-res PC games with tons of AA and AF, console games will always look pixilated and jaggy there is no way around that. Maybe when next set of consoles arrives they will learn what AA and AF are.

You are so bitter.(lee)

Yaboze
08-04-08, 10:31 AM

Not all games look like that. I find that Halo 3 and GTA IV use lots of bloom and can look blocky at times.

Other games, like Burnout, Burnout Paradise, DMC IV, don't look blocky like that.

Loreman
08-04-08, 10:49 PM
It's all good though. I am still enjoying the games, which is the most importand thing.

Thanks for all your suggestions.