PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star 4 on Genesis...

Kruno
05-13-03, 07:44 AM
You all remember the female character Rika?
Her ears looked like horns and under her name in the "stats" menu she was a "NUMAN" (not human).

I came to think of it as a spelling error.

What I have found out from a little bit of research.

Take the first 2 letters from her species name. NU, nu is the 13 letter of the greek alphabet. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nu

Here comes the interseting part, I looked up alphabet in the dictionary and guess what I found?

al·pha·bet ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lf-bt, -bt)
n.
The letters of a language, arranged in the order fixed by custom.
A system of characters or symbols representing sounds or things.
A set of basic parts or elements: “genetic markers... that contain repeated sequences of the DNA alphabet” (Sandra Blakeslee).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alphabet

The reason this is worth posting?
Was it a coincidence that Rika was genetically engineered and I came across these findings because I felt a conspiracy was at hand?

poursoul
05-13-03, 09:18 AM
Man....... you play all my favorite games.

i got my genesis late, but when i got it the first game i played was phantasy star 4. I literally cried the first time i say alys die. All i got to say is what the hell was up with the music in tanoe? Late night decision on that one. :smoking2:

Edge
05-14-03, 09:15 AM
Huh, interesting. I remember in Skies of Arcadia, when I first saw the line:
"Talk about compensation! That guys got a complex!"
I thought it was the funkiest mistranslation ever, but then a year or so later when I played the game I finally figured out what that ment. So I guess sometimes what we think are mistranslations end up having some deeper meaning. Though I sure don't know how that could apply to All Your Base ;)

SavagePaladin
05-15-03, 12:15 PM
That game was cool. Much as I wanted to, I couldn't get past the air castle.

...it was doable, except for being way too irritating with the combat :p

poursoul
05-15-03, 01:11 PM
i played that damn air castle for weeks!!!

the part that sucked was you couldn't save it anywhere in the air castle. you had to gain like 6 or so levels on each character without saving!!! Though it was long, it wasn't that hard because of the rejouvenation circles in the level.

SavagePaladin
05-15-03, 01:55 PM
I only played emulated, so didn't have that problem, but I still hated it :p