PDA

View Full Version : "new" nforce2 northbridge

jcn
05-13-03, 09:39 AM
hmmm.... seems that 200Mhz fsb is only stable with the "new"
nforce2 chipset. my asus a7n8x deluxe is now no good?

saturnotaku
05-13-03, 09:46 AM
Wha? Doesn't mean that your present board is no good, just means that the particular one you have won't overclock to a 200 MHz fsb.

Or are you asking if your present board won't support the new 400 MHz Athlon processors? I thought support for the "older" nForce2 boards and 400 MHz Athlon chips was supposed to come via a BIOS update. But I could be wrong on that. SavagePaladin, our resident nForce expert, should be able to shed some light on this.

I have an "old" nForce2 and my system will run at 200 all day long. Luck of the draw plays a part in getting a board that will overclock well.

jcn
05-13-03, 10:08 AM
the new processors have a 200mhz fsb requirement, in regards to overclocking 185fsb(rock solid) was the highest i could get with my 2200 mp.
i thought the limiting factor was the processor but apparently it was the northbridge. i can't complain to much....just disapointed.

Matthyahuw
05-13-03, 11:59 AM
can you lower the multiplier and go higher on the FSB?

I know if you got a very early nF2 board, you're probably not gonna get 200MHz out of it...185-195 seemed to be the max for those...

jcn
05-13-03, 12:28 PM
the mp 2200+ is clocked at 1800mhz. it was a go at 200X9 but not stable. :( this was at both stock and slightly +voltage.

saturnotaku
05-13-03, 01:23 PM
I would say that part of your problem is that you're using an Athlon MP, which is geared toward stability in server duties rather than performance and overclocking. I'll bet if you picked yourself up a Thoroughbred-B or Barton Athlon you would see far better overclocking results. Probably would even hit 200 fsb. :)

Dazz
05-13-03, 02:50 PM
I've seen some A7N8X Delxue boards hit 210~230MHz FSB. It just depends on your luck in getting a good chip.

jcn
05-13-03, 03:04 PM
FYI

by: Frank Volkel, Bert Topelt

"......This time around, you are not going to get by with just upgrading your CPU. The reason is simple: the only way you'll be able to run an FSB clock of 200 MHz stably is with a second-version Nvidia nForce 2 chipset. Older chipset revisions aren't stable at 200 MHz; we've discussed and demonstrated this problem with Nvidia at several meetings. At the time, Nvidia didn't think that an increased FSB clock was a big deal - at least, until the company came out with another chipset revision that now works without a hitch. Plus, if you want optimal performance, there's no way around a board with a dual-channel RAM interface (read: Nvidia's nForce 2). ......"

Matthyahuw
05-13-03, 04:10 PM
and if you have a palomino core CPU, it's NEVER gonna get 200MHz...Palies don't do well at all.

I have heard of ppl going over 200MHz on the early chipset with T-bred-Bs tho...

|JuiceZ|
05-13-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
and if you have a palomino core CPU, it's NEVER gonna get 200MHz...Palies don't do well at all.

Yea I'm unfortunately stuck with one of those cores, crocks out at pretty much anything above 180fsb :(