PDA

View Full Version : Question about Thermalright Ultra 120 backplate (kinda urgent!)

XxDeadlyxX
08-04-08, 08:13 PM
A while ago I took the plastic part of the TRUE 120 off and threw it out, thinking it wasn't needed (and due to the crap instructions). Now after installing my new eVGA 780i, the board posts, then has FF error and red light next to CPU and shuts off. I'm almost certain this is caused by the metal part of the TRUE 120 backplate touching the board, causing it to short.

I found someone else with a similar question:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1245950

Someone in that thread recommends to use electrical tape to stick to the backplate to stop the metal touching the motherboard. Is this a good idea? Would I need high temperature tape (does it get very toasty on that side of the motherboard behind the CPU?)

CaptNKILL
08-04-08, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't use tape. It'd puncture easily and the glue will melt as well.

Look around at a hardware or art\craft supply store for something that is similar in thickness to the piece of plastic you removed. You can always cut a piece out with a knife and stick it in there.

I really don't advise using anything with glue on it though. The back of the board does get quite hot, so the glue would definitely melt.

mullet
08-05-08, 12:23 AM
I would try and find a thin plastic notebook like for school and cut a square off or 2 depending on the thickness. The cardboard off the back of a spiral notebook would work to as long as it is non conductive. Once you tighten the HS down its not going anywhere.

CaptNKILL
08-05-08, 01:28 AM
I would try and find a thin plastic notebook like for school and cut a square off or 2 depending on the thickness. The cardboard off the back of a spiral notebook would work to as long as it is non conductive. Once you tighten the HS down its not going anywhere.

Ah... I was trying to think of a household item like this that would work.

Either of those should work very well. :thumbsup:

XxDeadlyxX
08-05-08, 08:46 AM
Tried just now, doesn't work :(

I took the motherboard and PSU out of the case, and have it running on the table with the anti-static bag underneath. Does exactly the same thing - boots up, the display cycles through different readings, then it gives the POST beep, then the red light near the CPU comes on and the display shows FF, then turns off.

Have tried resetting CMOS, removing battery etc.

When I first turned it on and it did this, I realised the person I bought it off left the CMOS rest jumper in the wrong position :rolleyes:, would turning it on when in that position damage it?

crainger
08-05-08, 06:15 PM
Nope, shouldn't harm it at all. I've seen it happen a few times and the board was always ok afterwards.

XxDeadlyxX
08-05-08, 10:33 PM
Well just tried it with the stock Intel HS, still the same :( It doesn't use backplate.

I'm running out of ideas...

Lfctony
08-05-08, 10:35 PM
May I suggest running with the stock Intel cooler, just to test the board? It might be something else, other than the backplate. There might be another problem, entirely different...

Edit: You just did that...

Head over to the evga forums, you might find a solution there:
www.evga.com/forums
I can see you also have a thread there...

This is one of the reasons I didn't get another board for my system. Too many problems around for me to risk it...

XxDeadlyxX
08-05-08, 10:38 PM
May I suggest running with the stock Intel cooler, just to test the board? It might be something else, other than the backplate. There might be another problem, entirely different...

Edit: You just did that...

Head over to the evga forums, you might find a solution there:
www.evga.com/forums

This is one of the reasons I didn't get another board for my system. Too many problems around for me to risk it...

Yep, I posted there last night, here's my thread:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=492265&mpage=1&key=񸞕

XxDeadlyxX
08-05-08, 11:20 PM
Also I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but the motherboard still had a POST beep when the CMOS jumper was in the wrong position and did the exact same thing, is this normal? Wouldn't the motherboard not even be able to POST if the CMOS jumper is in the wrong pins?