PDA

View Full Version : Valve Doesn't Mind Getting Acquired

Pages : [1] 2

evox
08-05-08, 10:05 AM
If anyone is interested in acquiring Valve, VP Doug Lombardi is "happy to have that conversation," he told Gamasutra in a recent interview.

"By the same token, the company's doing pretty well, and we're really happy with what we're doing," he added.

"So we'll see. I mean, anything is possible."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19695

Ofcourse, if they get acquired, they would release stuff on time....

|MaguS|
08-05-08, 10:06 AM
*cough*EA*cough*

CaptNKILL
08-05-08, 10:11 AM
Ugh...

I hope not.

Delays or not, I think Valve is doing great work for the PC gaming industry. I'd rather not have anything change that.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
08-05-08, 10:59 AM
He's gotta be fcking crazy. They would be swallowed by EA and then disbanded eventually, only to start another company with a different name and start from scratch. What's the point in that?

mullet
08-05-08, 11:14 AM
Why does everything good have to be messed up.

|MaguS|
08-05-08, 12:34 PM
He's gotta be fcking crazy. They would be swallowed by EA and then disbanded eventually, only to start another company with a different name and start from scratch. What's the point in that?

Money? They could make a killing selling the company and the HL IP to a major publisher...

npras42
08-05-08, 12:51 PM
I dont know. Seems to me that EA have started making some moves to improve their company's reputation in the right way. They let Crytek do as they wished with Crysis; the latest FIFA 08 game was the biggest improvement on a predecessor for a good 5-6 years; Burnout has largely been a success under EA; and I heard that they're going to put significantly more effort in to making their PC games up to the same quality as their console counterparts for the next round of releases (such as Madden 09, FIFA 09 and NHL).

I think Activision could be the new evil force in gaming for the next year at least. Valve for me have been somewhat disappointing since HL2's release so a change in structure might shake things up a bit.

toxikneedle
08-05-08, 01:03 PM
I dont know. Seems to me that EA have started making some moves to improve their company's reputation in the right way. They let Crytek do as they wished with Crysis; the latest FIFA 08 game was the biggest improvement on a predecessor for a good 5-6 years; Burnout has largely been a success under EA; and I heard that they're going to put significantly more effort in to making their PC games up to the same quality as their console counterparts for the next round of releases (such as Madden 09, FIFA 09 and NHL).

I think Activision could be the new evil force in gaming for the next year at least. Valve for me have been somewhat disappointing since HL2's release so a change in structure might shake things up a bit.

Yeah but at the same time EA ruined DICE imo. Battlefield series has gone south ever since EA bought out DICE after BF2 came out.

bacon12
08-05-08, 06:54 PM
Thats the whole reason valve titles are quality. If it isn't ready it isn't released. I like that!

Zelda_fan
08-05-08, 07:14 PM
In the end it's all about money. If you were offered 70m to sell your company, what would you do?

|MaguS|
08-05-08, 07:25 PM
In the end it's all about money. If you were offered 70m to sell your company, what would you do?

Keep it because PC Gamers are the best crowd ever!

Monolyth
08-05-08, 07:37 PM

Better be paying me way more then 70mill if I own Valve hehe. :)

I pray this does not happen, Valve are one of the rare few who still exist in that middle realm of Dev & Publisher while giving EA the distro spot which IMHO is just fine. This middle realm allows Valve to dictate release dates as Blizzard has been able to do in the past (despite just being a dev), considering the success of both company's various IP's are a testament to this long and arduous process.

Monolyth
08-05-08, 07:38 PM

Better be paying me way more then 70mill if I own Valve hehe. :)

Steam + HL IP = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I pray this does not happen, Valve are one of the rare few who still exist in that middle realm of Dev & Publisher while giving EA the distro spot which IMHO is just fine. This middle realm allows Valve to dictate release dates as Blizzard has been able to do in the past (despite just being a dev); the success of both company's various IPs are a testament to this long and arduous process.

Unstable_Hero
08-05-08, 07:50 PM
of course the vp wants to get aquired it means payday for him, even though for us it means source game quality will suffer, god knows how they'll mangle steam.

nekrosoft13
08-05-08, 10:30 PM
ea buys valve =

steam renamed to ea link + after 6 months pay for download again

new hl expansion every 4 months

|MaguS|
08-05-08, 11:10 PM
ea buys valve =

steam renamed to ea link + after 6 months pay for download again

new hl expansion every 4 months

Yes because that is what EA as of late... I mean man when will they stop those FREE Burnout Paradise updates that drastically add many new features and cars to the game.... DAM YOU EA AND YOUR FREE UPDATES!

OldOfEvil
08-05-08, 11:46 PM
This middle realm allows Valve to dictate release dates as Blizzard has been able to do in the past (despite just being a dev); the success of both company's various IPs are a testament to this long and arduous process.

Valve and maybe Bioware are the only companies I could see getting away with doing it Blizzard style.

nekrosoft13
08-06-08, 12:15 AM
Yes because that is what EA as of late... I mean man when will they stop those FREE Burnout Paradise updates that drastically add many new features and cars to the game.... DAM YOU EA AND YOUR FREE UPDATES!

ea and free add-ons that sounds weird. i was mainly talking and sims and the trillions of expansion packs.

Badboy_12345
08-06-08, 01:28 AM
ea and free add-ons that sounds weird. i was mainly talking and sims and the trillions of expansion packs.

hehe they are milking Sims like crazy :lol:

LordJuanlo
08-06-08, 01:36 AM
Another option: Microsoft buys it and Steam is mutated into Live

nekrosoft13
08-06-08, 02:03 AM
that probably would be even worse

mullet
08-06-08, 10:08 AM
Or EPIC buys valve and cuts all widescreen support for all games.

Quarter
08-06-08, 01:22 PM
Or EPIC buys valve and cuts all widescreen support for all games.
LMAO... Epic really does piss me off with that.

Anyways, Valve won't be bought unless some company goes insane and gets billions upon billions of dollars to buy it. Steam's a damn good piece of leverage.

OldOfEvil
08-06-08, 02:42 PM
Krispy Kreme might have a chance at buying Valve.. I imagine they would simply keep sending Gabe boxes of donuts until he finally caves in.

Yaboze
08-06-08, 03:01 PM
When you thought of Valve, you'd immediately think HL or HL 2. Lately, when I think of Valve, I think of Steam and all that it brings to the PC. Steam, not one game that's been around for 4 years is what makes Valve what it is these days.