PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glue

seeker
08-05-08, 03:35 PM
I suppose that this is only indirectly a hardware question, but after noticing that Antec had used hot glue to secure the front LEDs in place, I thought it would be a good idea of follow suit, so I bought a cheap low temperature gun at Walmart. I have not used it yet, except that ironically I bumped into the front case door last night and it popped off with the tab that held the top pin in place broken off. I did manage to glue it back together, but I don't know how long it will last, because the glue seems to be especially soft and flexible. This is my first dealing with hot glue, are all types of it the same, or are some tougher than others?

Bman212121
08-05-08, 04:07 PM
If you don't want two pieces of plastic to be able to come apart again superglue is the best method. I don't know much about hot glue other than it isn't going to be as strong as superglue.

seeker
08-05-08, 04:20 PM
SuperGlue probably would have been better for the case door, because I have no reason to ever want to remove it, but that is not true with the LEDs or with securing the front i/O assembly into place. I have had a problem with the I/O assembly popping loose ever since the case was new and I regularly have to remove the front bezel to put it back where it belongs. Hot Glue seemed the best solution for these. As for the door, I'm not certain, because when I have tried SuperGlue in the past, I never had much luck with it, but that is probably because of the material that I tried it on. I don't think that SuperGlue would be universally appropriate on all plastics, but I'm not certain. However, the fact that SG requires that the items be clamped or held together for an amount of time for it to set, would have made it very difficult to use on the door, because it was difficult enough to just reach it with the nozzle of the hot glue gun.

J-Mag
08-05-08, 04:38 PM
This is my first dealing with hot glue, are all types of it the same, or are some tougher than others?

Yeah definitely. The yellow glue cylinders are stronger than the clearish gray stuff.