PDA

View Full Version : ATI's response to DOOM 3 benchmarks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

fantomas
05-13-03, 04:22 PM
An ATI spokesman said the results were colored by the fact that Nvidia was so heavily involved in the reviews.

"The 'Doom III' comparisons are meaningless to make at this stage," said Chris Evenden, an ATI spokesman, adding the company was unconcerned about any Nvidia gains since it will have its own product update later this year. "We're feeling pretty good about the whole thing actually."
(http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=2726856)

bkswaney
05-13-03, 04:35 PM
Damage control in high gear I see. ;)
I was waiting on ATI to try and save face.
It's been Nvidia for the past year. Now it's ATI's turn. :)

Don't buy now. We have a faster product coming out soon. :D hehehe :rolleyes:

We all know D3 was first showed off on the R300.
ATI has had it's hands in D3 for as long as NV has.

It's tit for tat. :)

Shadowx
05-13-03, 04:42 PM
what about r360 its suppose to be an 8x2 card?

T-Spoon
05-13-03, 04:42 PM
Not really damage control I think. :) I think it's really a kind of pestering nVidia.

When NV30 was released, they said they felt 'confident' about their own new lineup being able to beat it. And R350 did beat it, although it was only marginally.

Now they say 'they feel good'... so I'm confident that they will have a new 'crush-the-force' card out within two months (which is R360), that will also marginally leapfrog the NV35.

And nVidia won't have anything out until much later this year, so like they predicted it's nVidia who's gonna have to do some damagecontrol by upping the NV35 clockspeeds in a new revision.

So by releasing a faster card which will be available just one month after NV35 becomes available in the retailstores, they're just making sure that everyone will know that 'whatever nVidia brings to the table, ATi is sure to do it better, faster and with more IQ'.

digitalwanderer
05-13-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by T-Spoon
Not really damage control I think. :) I think it's really a kind of pestering nVidia.

When NV30 was released, they said they felt 'confident' about their own new lineup being able to beat it. And R350 did beat it, although it was only marginally.

Now they say 'they feel good'... so I'm confident that they will have a new 'crush-the-force' card out within two months (which is R360), that will also marginally leapfrog the NV35.

And nVidia won't have anything out until much later this year, so like they predicted it's nVidia who's gonna have to do some damagecontrol by upping the NV35 clockspeeds in a new revision.

So by releasing a faster card which will be available just one month after NV35 becomes available in the retailstores, they're just making sure that everyone will know that 'whatever nVidia brings to the table, ATi is sure to do it better, faster and with more IQ'.

You sum up my take on it very nicely, thanks. :)

I really wish the more radical fanATIcs could just accept it as such and just chill a bit!

Let nVidia have their moment, the 5900 FX is a f&cking nice card and they've earned this moment. :)

Besides, the nVidiots were WAY cooler than the fanATIcs are being when the NV30 debuted...and that was a LOT worse! ;)

The Baron
05-13-03, 04:47 PM
Ah, but apparently everyone has forgotten the NV35 refresh that will be out Augustish.

Or was I not supposed to say that? ;)

bkswaney
05-13-03, 04:47 PM
What are u smokin? :smoking2:

ATI just has released the 9800. There is no way a new card will be here in 2 months.
Fall is more like it. Look at there track record.
Both ATIand Nvdia will have something this fall.
Now u might get a paper launch in July. :rolleyes:

bkswaney
05-13-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Ah, but apparently everyone has forgotten the NV35 refresh that will be out Augustish.

Or was I not supposed to say that? ;)

Sept.... buy it in Oct or so. ;)

solofly
05-13-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Besides, the nVidiots were WAY cooler than the fanATIcs are being when the NV30 debuted...and that was a LOT worse! ;)

Don't you know minority is always louder than majority...;)

Richthofen
05-13-03, 04:50 PM
i don't agree.

NV35 taped out in January. The production started with "First Sillicon" late January / early february. Now it is already mid may.
You can do the math and calculate when their speed bump will be available.
And i am sure Nvidia will follow but with no new revision.
They won't need a new Tape-Out. NV35 is capable of more then 450 MHZ.
The cooling problem depends on weather they use high clocked DDR II memory or not. Same with ATI.
If they wanna use fast DDR II chips they will get a seriuos cooling problem.
I think things have changed and is would say Nvidia is in the better position now.
NV35 leaves enough room for a small speed refresh and they are on schedule to launch a VS/PS 3.0 card at year end.
ATI on the other hand won't have a R400. Could be a big disadvantage in the marketing department.

The Baron
05-13-03, 04:51 PM
I'd wager it will be launched Augustish and available along with Athlon64 and nForce 3.

KILLER COMBO!

muzz
05-13-03, 04:52 PM
As I have stated numerous times I am HAPPY the 35 rox.

With that being said the 35 better hit the stores FOR REAL this time.
Paper launches are what the NV marketing dept. has been doing if ya haven't been paying attention.... there are others who have been and will remind you if you have amnesia.

bkswaney
05-13-03, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by muzz
As I have stated numerous times I am HAPPY the 35 rox.

With that being said the 35 better hit the stores FOR REAL this time.
Paper launches are what the NV marketing dept. has been doing if ya haven't been paying attention.... there are others who have been and will remind you if you have amnesia.

I do not think that will be a problem this time around.

We all know that DDR2 was there main problem now.
And very low resores because of the Xbox deal.

Hellbinder
05-13-03, 04:58 PM
Damage control in high gear I see.
I was waiting on ATI to try and save face.
It's been Nvidia for the past year. Now it's ATI's turn.

Don't buy now. We have a faster product coming out soon. hehehe

Damage control eh??? :rolleyes:

More like trying to recover from yet ANOTHER underhanded Tactic by Nvidia. The Truth is begining to become public that Nvidia and Idsoftware released a *Tweaked* for Nvidia Demo, with Tweaked for Doom Nvidia Drivers.

Ati was not Given access to the Demo, or told that it was going to happen at all. In fact when B3D asked for information about it. Idsoftwares reply was *ask Nvidia*..

Now how is it after all underhanded **** Nvidia has pulled over the last year.. people like you can still support them is beyond me.

Hellbinder
05-13-03, 04:59 PM
Bk,

I do not think that will be a problem this time around.

We all know that DDR2 was there main problem now.
And very low resores because of the Xbox deal.

Do you *Ever* have a clue about what you are talking about???
:rolleyes:

bkswaney
05-13-03, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Damage control eh??? :rolleyes:

More like trying to recover from yet ANOTHER underhanded Tactic by Nvidia. The Truth is begining to become public that Nvidia and Idsoftware released a *Tweaked* for Nvidia Demo, with Tweaked for Doom Nvidia Drivers.

Ati was not Given access to the Demo, or told that it was going to happen at all. In fact when B3D asked for information about it. Idsoftwares reply was *ask Nvidia*..

Now how is it after all underhanded **** Nvidia has pulled over the last year.. people like you can still support them is beyond me.

I do not get all this tweaked stuff. ATI had there hands on D3 before anyone. Hell they used the R300 for there demo.
Sorry I do not believe all these "rumers"

gokickrocks
05-13-03, 05:07 PM
do you honestly believe that carmack continued giving them updates after the leak incident? he probably didnt cut them off completely however

do you also think that nvidia didnt have d3 as well during that time? carmack stated that at the time, he ran it on both of the cards, but the 9700 was a better choice

so, taking that in to consideration, who do you believe had more time to play with it?

i would really prefer if both companies would slow down product cycles, that way i wont be tempted on upgrading so much, just this year i gotten a 5800ultra, 5200, and 9800pro :D

The Baron
05-13-03, 05:10 PM
But of course, ATI did not leak the alpha (or at least so Hellbinder says), so why would id have any desire whatsoever to cut them off? ;)

bkswaney
05-13-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Bk,

Do you *Ever* have a clue about what you are talking about???
:rolleyes:

Well, that's what I read.
But I forget Mr. HB could never be wrong about anything. :rolleyes:

muzz
05-13-03, 05:11 PM
I agree with ya that ATi had the EARLY builds of D3.........
But.......

When was the last time they got 1?
Why did they know NOTHING about what was going on?
What path were the NV review demos written in ( proprietary? we may as well all get a console for crying out loud if that's the case).

I personally think these are reasonable questions myself.
I am aware that the NV crowd is happy finally, and they should be, as it seems to be a rocking card, but even the most die-hard fanboy SHOULD at LEAST think something smells a bit foul here.

Moose
05-13-03, 05:11 PM
The only thing I'm wondering is how much this special tweaked Doom3 thingy cost them.

nvidia..... the way it's meant to be payed....

digitalwanderer
05-13-03, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
What are u smokin? :smoking2:

I'm not entirely sure....I THINK it's some hydro-botanically grown Kentuckian kind, but it could just be a killer Mexican sensimilla(sic, sorry...I've never tried to spell that before. :rolleyes: )

ATI just has released the 9800. There is no way a new card will be here in 2 months.
Fall is more like it. Look at there track record.
Both ATIand Nvdia will have something this fall.
Now u might get a paper launch in July. :rolleyes:

I agree with your logic, but I stand by my statement that ATi will have a new product out in 60 days that will very much surpass the NV35 in all areas. I have that on very good authority. (Why else do you think I'd be taking this launch so darned nicely? :p )

vampireuk
05-13-03, 05:14 PM
Here we go again with the complaining about the Doom3 stuff again, just let it go and consider it as eye candy.

gokickrocks
05-13-03, 05:17 PM
so...

is anyone else awaiting Tribes3? :D

im not much of a doom fan, except when it was one of the few fps out at the time...i also believe that doom3 doesnt look that great, but thats just me, i think resident evil on the gamecube gives it a run for the money, but like i said, thats just me...and i also like my fps mixed in with vehicles thank you very much :p

ClyssaN
05-13-03, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Here we go again with the complaining about the Doom3 stuff again, just let it go and consider it as eye candy.

I consider it a game when i can buy it, and of course eye candy :)