PDA

View Full Version : Got new MOBO n CPU need help plz.

Maximumdreads
05-13-03, 05:47 PM
I just purchased a new MSI K7N2G (nForce 2) + 2500 AMD CPU wich i am gonna use to replace my old MSI KT3 + 2100 CPU and i know i have to change the FSB to 166, i was also told that i need to boot off of the WIN XP disk and run a repair in order for windows to recognise the new board and chip set?.

If any of you guys have read a past posting of mine, you know i'm still a little green, and would once again apreciate any pointers or links that would help me get this going.

Thanx
MaximumDreads

|JuiceZ|
05-13-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Maximumdreads
...i was also told that i need to boot off of the WIN XP disk and run a repair in order for windows to recognise the new board and chip set?.

you do have to up the fsb to 166 but theres no reason for you to run a repair on winxp unless theres some other problem. It should automatically recognize the new chipset. Just make sure you install all the drivers that came with the mb and you should be fine.

gokickrocks
05-13-03, 06:02 PM
win xp will moan and groan at you and spit out a bsod with the new chipset...

copy all drivers that you will use for your new parts, then replace the board, boot with win xp cd (if you cant boot with cd, use the win xp install disks, should be 6 or so of em)...then select the repair option

|JuiceZ|
05-13-03, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
win xp will moan and groan at you and spit out a bsod with the new chipset...

copy all drivers that you will use for your new parts, then replace the board, boot with win xp cd (if you cant boot with cd, use the win xp install disks, should be 6 or so of em)...then select the repair option

I've swapped out several mb's on my machine w/ winxp and have nvr had to repair it for the sole reason of installing a new chipset....

poursoul
05-13-03, 06:38 PM
juice is right, i've been working aas a pc tech for about 5 years and 98 did that as well as 95, me, and nt. But XP will be fine, yes it will moan and groan and boot up in 640 x 480 but it will be fine.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one time a bsod did happen to me. It happened when i changed my girly's pc from an intel 815 to an nforce mobo. Now that is a dramatic change. The same should not happen to you.

Riptide
05-13-03, 06:52 PM
Umm, this isn't entirely true gents...

I've removed an Adaptec 19160 SCSI card, put a 39160 in, and been greeted with BSOD on startup. NOTHING else changed on the system and it was working fine immediately before shutting down and swapping out the SCSI card.

Had I gone into device manager and removed the SCSI card before shutting down things might've been different. However, I expected XP to deal with it and just detect the new hardware. It never even made it into the shell...

XP does not always deal well with hardware changes. And this was just a SCSI card, not a motherboard chipset.

I'm not saying you're wrong, only that you're not right about this being a hard and fast rule... ;)

If I end up in a situation where I need to repair XP I usually just rebuild the machine. I know, prolly not necessary, but I like having NO doubts about whether or not things are neat and tidy w/regard to the OS/drivers.