PDA

View Full Version : Question About Mixing DDR2 Sticks

SLippe
08-07-08, 09:19 AM
I currently have two sticks of OCZ DDR2 1066 that I run at 800 for a 1:1 ratio with CPU (overclock). Is it possible to put two sticks of G-Skill DDR2 800 in my other two slots? Just wondering since my current RAM is running at 800 already. I found a helluva deal on two 1GB sticks of G-Skill DDR2 800 RAM locally on CL. Just curious.

Monolyth
08-07-08, 09:53 AM
I currently have two sticks of OCZ DDR2 1066 that I run at 800 for a 1:1 ratio with CPU (overclock). Is it possible to put two sticks of G-Skill DDR2 800 in my other two slots? Just wondering since my current RAM is running at 800 already. I found a helluva deal on two 1GB sticks of G-Skill DDR2 800 RAM locally on CL. Just curious.

Generally it's not recommended since many of the sub-settings can vary greatly from stick to stick; you can certainly try it though. Be careful with voltages, you'll want to make sure that those G-Skill can take the voltage you currently supply to your OCZ sticks. I would also recommend you immediately hit it with some Prime95 blend torture tests. Let it run for about an hour. After that you'll want to also give it a good run through in memtest86+ (an overnight session perhaps). You can't be too careful when it comes to memory as it can lead to the slow death of your machine and a slew of instabilities.