PDA

View Full Version : Who out there is really getting ready to shell out half-a-grand for a video card?

Pages : [1] 2

digitalwanderer
05-13-03, 06:18 PM
I keep reading/writing that one as a ridiculous pricetag, and I feel it IS. I'm not saying the cards don't cost that much or anything, it's just that for half the price you can get about 75% or better of the performance on either side of the fence! (ATi or nVidia, that is. ;) )

Both companies are coming out with shiny new $500us video cards, is anyone here REALLY planning on shelling out that kind of cash for a video card?!?!

Please vote, I'm really curious.

bkswaney
05-13-03, 06:28 PM
I was going to till the new drivers boosted my 5800ultra performance by a lot. :)

I'll most likly wait till the fall cards come out now.
I play at 1024res with low AA/AF.

SurfMonkey
05-13-03, 07:37 PM
I will buy one, in a couple of months when the prices have settled. And only because I get paid ridiculously large amounts of cash for what I do :D

PreservedSwine
05-13-03, 07:54 PM
Thinking about picking up an R9700 to hold me over until the R500/NV50

I like the idea of playing w/ max FSAA, and I can't do that on the NV35. I can't justify spending that kind of money and still be making IQ sacrifices, so I'll be saving a few hundred w/ the nearly year old R9700.

Phyre
05-13-03, 08:12 PM
I voted yes, but am still unsure. I really, really would like to have seen some benchmarks of the 128 mb version of the card. I want to see what it does with the higher resolutions with AA and AF. If the 128 mb version fairs just as well, I will most likely be purchasing it.

Phyre

nvnews-reader
05-13-03, 08:18 PM
Not me. I'll wait until Doom comes out and then buy whatever card runs it well.

Nv40
05-13-03, 08:36 PM
i will have the $500 by the end of year.. :)
but by that time there will be even more cards...
so i think i will pick the NV40 if they are availlable.. :)

i still impressed with my Geforce4 ti4400 performance..
with 15 months later i still play most of games MP games
at 1600res.. in standar HQ and others like UT2003 at 1200res..
even using mixed AA/AF settings . :D

DorXtar
05-13-03, 08:59 PM
So far, 8 nVidiots/people with money to burn.

:angel:

Phyre
05-13-03, 09:07 PM
Hahaha. Well, I still have a little money left over from what Uncle Sam took from me last year. He thought he would take about $100 a month from me. So, I might be able to get the Ultra. But, if the 128 mb version performs just as well, I will probably get it.

Does anyone have any speculation as to how well the 128 mb version will fair against it's big brother?

Phyre

Gator
05-13-03, 09:16 PM
no way in hell will i pay that much for a video card

I'll see what is available in the $200 range when DoomIII comes out ;)

Smashed
05-13-03, 10:05 PM
I've set myself a 275CAD target when it's time to upgrade. I can't imagine spending $500 US or $700 Canadian on a video card.

Gargr
05-13-03, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Gator
no way in hell will i pay that much for a video card

I'll see what is available in the $200 range when DoomIII comes out ;)

Same

Chucky
05-14-03, 02:41 AM
I might pick up a GeForceFX 5900 Ultra this August-September when I get my new system. It'll probably be a little (twenty bucks maybe) by then if it'll be on store shelves next month.

ntxawg
05-14-03, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by DorXtar
So far, 8 nVidiots/people with money to burn.

:angel:

i believe the post was about vid cards in general as ati is selling there ddr2 256mb for the same price 499 :rolleyes:

Behemoth
05-14-03, 03:31 AM
i am willing to pay around us$350 max for video card every 2 years, if the prize dropping rate or new video cards coming not so fast, i will pay more. :)

Unit01
05-14-03, 03:50 AM
my max is 325$
not more
it's silly if the gpu is 2x more than the cpu i buy

vampireuk
05-14-03, 03:56 AM
I added another option to the poll which makes it a bit fairer;) :D

marcocom
05-14-03, 04:13 AM
i hear what your saying Dig, its as if theyre constantly saying 'hmmm , if theyre willing to pay 300...maybe theyre willing to pay 400...' and on and on it goes.

the only justification is the cost of exotic ram solutions at 2ns ,etc.

The reason i bought the 5800Ultra was because, besides who was winning the benchmarks that week, it was obvious that nvidia had spent a buttload of money on the exotic ram, the exotic 12-layer PCB, and the exotic - all copper - FLowFX cooler.

I got Quadro quality at a fraction of the cost!

frankly, i spent 400$ on nv20 and it sure as hell didnt look as expensive or valuable as nv30 which cost me the same amount!

creedamd
05-14-03, 10:29 AM
Looks as if the poll is going the way I thought. It's stupid to buy the 9800/256 or the 5900ultra. Noone with any commonsense would buy either. They are not needed right now.

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by a fascist-like mod with his own agenda
I added another option to the poll which makes it a bit fairer;) :D

Now if'n I'd wanted the poll to be fair, don't you think I'd have made it as such?

I wanted to force a yes/no choice, just like the video card companies are doing with us. I think damn near EVERYONE here would fall into the "love to have one, but golly they're awful expensive" category!

Dude....... :(

creedamd
05-14-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Now if'n I'd wanted the poll to be fair, don't you think I'd have made it as such?

I wanted to force a yes/no choice, just like the video card companies are doing with us. I think damn near EVERYONE here would fall into the "love to have one, but golly they're awful expensive" category!

Dude....... :(

I thought that was a little whack as well. I still think people will understand what the question is and ignore the last. Everyone would love to have something for nothing, that's a gimme.

Comeon Vamp.. you're better than this.

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by creedamd
Comeon Vamp.. you're better than this.

Yeah, but I'm forgiving him and cutting him some slack on his slightly over-zealousness on nVidia. He's got some spare points still from the original FX fiasco along with the rest of the staff here, it's ok if'n they feel like celebrating a success a bit as well.

I can dish it out, I might as well take it in good grace too. (That's why I said "fascist" instead of the "N" word. ;) )

schuey74
05-14-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by creedamd
Looks as if the poll is going the way I thought. It's stupid to buy the 9800/256 or the 5900ultra. Noone with any commonsense would buy either. They are not needed right now.

Is it stupid because you can't afford it? That's why there's video cards at every price point! Believe it or not there are people who can buy these cards and still make their house & car payments. Live within your means and let others live within theirs.

Stupid is the guy working at Wal-Mart & living in his parents basement upgrading from another $400 card to one of these. I don't how many of the people who plan to buy these cards are in that position, but I would guess that to most it won't make them have to go without eating for month.

1stFlight
05-14-03, 11:24 AM
It's a bit nuts to pay $500 for a card that only cost $15 to make..

Personally I'll only go as high as $200, and maybe 300 on a part that I'll be replacing in a year.

creedamd
05-14-03, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by schuey74
Is it stupid because you can't afford it? That's why there's video cards at every price point! Believe it or not there are people who can buy these cards and still make their house & car payments. Live within your means and let others live within theirs.

Stupid is the guy working at Wal-Mart & living in his parents basement upgrading from another $400 card to one of these. I don't how many of the people who plan to buy these cards are in that position, but I would guess that to most it won't make them have to go without eating for month.

I could buy 10 of these without breaking a sweat. Would I? NO.

What's stupid is to buy something that isn't needed. I believe most people won't. Damn, look at the poll, it's even on an NVIDIA FAN SITE FFS!

If you take a $200 9700pro and put it beside a 5900u, and play games of today, you will not notice a bit of difference. (maybe the IQ from Ati:angel2: ) but other than that, NONE, is it worth $300 dollars more for the 5900u or the 9800/256? When by the time something needs it, the card will be half the price? It's a no brainer.