PDA

View Full Version : MuFu and Uttar ... what are your post-release views?

Pages : [1] 2

darkmiasma
05-13-03, 06:59 PM
subject says it all ... haven't seen you guys check in since the NDA was lifted.

i would love to hear your reactions to everyone's opinions.

- mike

StealthHawk
05-13-03, 07:01 PM
First of all why is this in the Rumor Mill, moved to nvidia Graphics.

BigFish7
05-13-03, 07:11 PM
i saw MuFu here just about 10min ago :)

darkmiasma
05-13-03, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
First of all why is this in the Rumor Mill, moved to nvidia Graphics.

sorry ... thats where i normal see them hanging out ... figured it was the best place to find them.

Uttar
05-14-03, 01:20 AM
Lol, funny there are now threads about us specifically, and confounded in the same place.

Anyway, well, I must admit I was slightly more active at B3D to figure out what the heck the pipeline organization is.
And it's most impressive. Sounds like ALL FX functionality is gone. It's all FP. 3 FPUs/pipe, and one being able to do TEX stuff.

Significantly more impressive on that POV than everything that was speculated/rumored.

As for AF/AA, well, for AA, performance is worse than I had expected, but it's better than I had expected for AF. So I guess it all balances out there :)

Overall, I'm quite pleased by the whole card, and I'll make sure to grab a 128MB NV35 for $399 as soon as it's available here in Europe.

Uttar

Phyre
05-14-03, 01:26 AM
So, should the 128 mb version perform as well as the 256 mb version?

Phyre

jAkUp
05-14-03, 01:27 AM
it should in most games... maybe a few here and there may perform a tad better on 256mb... (ut2003) games in the future will benefit greatly though.

Phyre
05-14-03, 01:56 AM
Yeah. I've been trying to remember the calculation for bandwidth. That's my concern with the 128 mb version. If it has the same 425 mhz clock, it should have something along these lines.

256 * 425E6 * 2 / 8 = 27.2E9

If that calculation is wrong, please correct it.

I know that more "intense" games desire more memory. Is this just based on the size and number of textures that are loaded into memory and other stuff that craves the memory?

Phyre

bkswaney
05-14-03, 02:12 AM
I might pick up a 256meg after it come out.
I want to see if any 3rd party cards offer better cooling. :)
Or maybe a blue PCB with light on the fan or something. :D

Uttar
05-14-03, 08:30 AM
I did see the $399 128MB model core clocks are lower, though. That is for some partners at least, including Gainward ( hardware.fr reported it, among others )

But yes, the bandwidth of the $399 version would be indentical :)

Uttar

R.Carter
05-14-03, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Phyre
So, should the 128 mb version perform as well as the 256 mb version?

Phyre

Don't see why not, unless you have a game that want's to use 128MB of textures.

The fact that there are consumer grade 256MB cards sort of hints that game developers might start doing something like that in the future.

Uttar
05-14-03, 09:52 AM
Actually, if you use 1600x1200 4x AA, you barely got any memory left for textures with 128MB. So the 256MB actually have a justification, you know :)

Uttar

schuey74
05-14-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Actually, if you use 1600x1200 4x AA, you barely got any memory left for textures with 128MB. So the 256MB actually have a justification, you know :)

Uttar

I noticed that in the UT2K3 benchmarks as well. I think that Doom 3 will probably make the difference noticable another rez or two down. So if this is the card you plan to use for the next 12- 24 months, it may be worth it.

MuFu
05-14-03, 04:11 PM
Well I have been patiently waiting for the Det FX hacks to be exposed. The ensuing flamewars should be quite entertaining. No response from nV over the issue yet, AFAIK - quite a few people have written to them about it.

Aside from that, no real suprises apart from them dropping the integer units from their pixel pipe - didn't expect that until NV40.

MuFu.

creedamd
05-14-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MuFu
Well I have been patiently waiting for the Det FX hacks to be exposed. The ensuing flamewars should be quite entertaining. No response from nV over the issue yet, AFAIK - quite a few people have written to them about it.

Aside from that, no real suprises apart from them dropping the integer units from their pixel pipe - didn't expect that until NV40.

MuFu.

The exposure is close, something about motion based antialising instead? I guess they are using motion BLUR. This is going to be funny if so be the case.

Hellbinder
05-14-03, 04:31 PM

MuFu.

Oh the wormhole is a little deeper than that yo...
:cool:

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 04:34 PM
Good luck with school MuFu, keep your priorities straight. :)

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by creedamd
The exposure is close, something about motion based antialising instead? I guess they are using motion BLUR. This is going to be funny if so be the case.

I don't get that...what is motion based antialiasing? :confused:

MuFu
05-14-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Oh the wormhole is a little deeper than that yo...
:cool:

Explain, if you can.

MuFu.

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 05:18 PM
Deeper than what?

Explain, if you can.

Methinks he means deeper than just "dropping the integer units from their pixel pipe", I think he's refering to their motion based anti-aliasing that peeps are starting to suspect something about. ;)

SurfMonkey
05-14-03, 05:51 PM
So is this motion based anti-aliasing the same as perception based anti-aliasing? And does it utilise temporal and spatial anti-aliasing?

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
So is this motion based anti-aliasing the same as perception based anti-aliasing? And does it utilise temporal and spatial anti-aliasing?

Are you just making up a bunch of terms or does that really mean anything? :eek2:

MuFu
05-14-03, 06:27 PM
I think it actually might a be a quantum vortex-based implementation.

MuFu.

creedamd
05-14-03, 06:31 PM
I think it actually might a be a quantum vortex-based implementation.

MuFu.

I know they didn't go that route! If so there will be HELL TO PAY!! Muahah....muahahahah!.....poot.. dammit. :(

MuFu
05-14-03, 06:33 PM
Yes, one small rendering error and the whole universe could fold in on itself. That would be slightly annoying, to say the least.

MuFu.