PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rage Collectors Edition on BluRay for PC

Pages : [1] 2

LordJuanlo
08-08-08, 06:59 AM
So it says (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080806073951_Game_Developer_Claims_that_Dual_Lay er_DVDs_Not_Enogh_for_Upcoming_Rage_Video_Game.htm l) XBits Labs

The title apparently needs a lot of space to store textures and other artwork, hence, id plans to ship it on 25GB Blu-ray disc for PlayStation 3 and PC, although users of the latter will be able to get DVD version on several discs as well

John Carmak has told this to Tom's Games (http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/08/07/carmack_interview/):

We have actually talked about it, and I think there are some real possibilities there - like having a two DVD standard edition, and then coming out with a double-layer Blu-ray as a special edition so you can really give the fans some extra features and much better compression. That idea has been broached but there are no official plans yet

I love the idea, PC needs to start adopting BluRay ASAP. By the time Rage is released I'm sure those drives will be quite cheap (now you can get one for about €90-100)

nutcrackr
08-08-08, 07:04 AM
Now waiting for Rage map pack, size 8.9GB.

nekrosoft13
08-08-08, 07:10 AM
hell yeah!!

i was actually talking about few days ago!! I want Rage Special Edition on Blu-ray.

|MaguS|
08-08-08, 07:19 AM
OMG Carmak is a Sony Fanboy!

SH64
08-08-08, 07:46 AM
Patch 1.01 should be 2.4Gb

nekrosoft13
08-08-08, 07:50 AM
they can make a 10gb patch, won't bother me. as long as the game is good ;)

I downloaded a 2.5gb mod for BF2 yesterday in about 40 minutes.

K007
08-08-08, 08:01 AM
sux for australians..

Tr1cK
08-08-08, 08:04 AM
The bigger disc is going to give the fans better compression? Seems like it's actually much less compression. :headexplode:

Igor Vitaly
08-08-08, 08:29 AM
Aslong as there is no hidden tracks with rootkits in there..... :smoking:

FastRedPonyCar
08-08-08, 08:42 AM
If I got a better looking game from the blue ray disk, I'd buy a BR drive to play it. Blue ray burners will be pretty well priced anyways by then.

nekrosoft13
08-08-08, 08:56 AM
BD-RE drives are about 220 now, if you buy decent LG, stay away from crazy overpriced Lite-on, Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer.

BD-Roms are about 120 now for Lite-on.

CaptNKILL
08-08-08, 01:55 PM
I'll be surprised if they actually do this. I don't think many people have BD-ROMS, let alone on a gaming computer. They're probably more common on laptops that aren't fast enough to play this game.

I don't have a problem with it, it just seems like they'd be going to a lot of trouble for very very few sales.

FastRedPonyCar
08-08-08, 02:11 PM
It's not that unreasonable IMO. The game isn't anywhere near done I don't think so we've got quite a while for blue ray drives to drop in price and if anything, users could still just download the extra content I would think.

nekrosoft13
08-08-08, 02:42 PM
I'll be surprised if they actually do this. I don't think many people have BD-ROMS, let alone on a gaming computer. They're probably more common on laptops that aren't fast enough to play this game.

all i can say to is to bad for them ;)

this is the same argument with DVD, people were complaining that some games where out on DVD, and not on CD. I for one hate multi disc games.

right no BD-Roms are 120, once this game gets released BD-Roms will be around 50 bucks.

FastRedPonyCar
08-08-08, 02:51 PM
right no BD-Roms are 120, once this game gets released BD-Roms will be around 50 bucks.

And we'll all have them and love them...and we'll look back on our comments here next year and laugh because come on, life is funny.

Tr1cK
08-08-08, 03:11 PM
When BR-ROM drops to $50, I'll get one for sure. I'm not so sure about throwing 25-50gb of game install on my hard drive though. Age of Conan was 24gb and what a waste of space that piece of **** was.

CaptNKILL
08-08-08, 03:14 PM
all i can say to is to bad for them ;)

this is the same argument with DVD, people were complaining that some games where out on DVD, and not on CD. I for one hate multi disc games.

I agree, its a natural progression, but you could buy PCs with DVD drives since 1998 and by the time games required more disks (after the whole "6 disks of uncompressed full motion video" fad passed) there were already plenty of DVD drives in PCs and the drives were $20-$30.

Plus, the drives served a purpose for just about everyone because you needed them to watch movies on a PC, and there wasn't any other alternative (other than using a TV tuner with an external DVD or VHS player or downloading movies illegally).

With BD, hardly any PCs have the drives, they've only been around for a year or two tops, they're expensive, and the majority of people probably don't see any need for high definition movies, especially on a PC.

I'm not saying they're right, its just that BD isn't even close to being in the same position that DVD was when games moved over to that format. I'll be surprised if BD becomes the optical disk standard and completely replaces DVD within the next 5 years.

FastRedPonyCar
08-08-08, 03:21 PM
When BR-ROM drops to $50, I'll get one for sure. I'm not so sure about throwing 25-50gb of game install on my hard drive though. Age of Conan was 24gb and what a waste of space that piece of **** was.

WTF that's nothing... .Terrabyte drives will be dirt cheap by the time this game is released.

Stop trying to picture yourself dealing with this TODAY and think 6 months or further into the future. you can get a 640 gig drive for under $100. I've got one of these and it rocks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Imagine how cheap them and the terrabyte drives will be 6 months from now.

Tr1cK
08-08-08, 03:49 PM
WTF that's nothing... .Terrabyte drives will be dirt cheap by the time this game is released.

Stop trying to picture yourself dealing with this TODAY and think 6 months or further into the future. you can get a 640 gig drive for under $100. I've got one of these and it rocks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Imagine how cheap them and the terrabyte drives will be 6 months from now.

I've seen too many reviews on the egg with bad reliability reports for big drives. It's kinda scared me away from getting one at this point. The 320gb/platter WDs do look great and seem to get great reviews though.

FastRedPonyCar
08-08-08, 03:56 PM
I've had a 500 gig drive for about 6 months now and my 640 for 4 months. I run spinrite 6 on all my hdd's anyways to do a full scan for surface and sector defects. If I find any, the drive goes back. I've yet to send back a WD drive. I can't even count how many drives at work we've sent back or in for a warranty replacmenet before we even re-image them with our images. Toshiba is notorious for putting lemons in their laptops. We send back usually 6~7 out of every 10 notebooks we get and often, the replacement drives are bad too or at least have defective sectors.

DoomUK
08-08-08, 05:46 PM
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but why not release this (the Collector's Edition) on several DVD-ROMs?

Do we have to upgrade our optical drives to BluRay in order to play the best quality and most comprehensive editions of PC games, now?

NaitoSan
08-08-08, 05:56 PM
Someday you have to upgrade to Blu-ray anyway. Why not do it now? Soon or later more games will be coming on Blu-ray. With Blu-ray drive, you can watch Blu-ray movies on your PC. Rage won't be out until 2010 or something so you still have time.

Bman212121
08-08-08, 06:15 PM
Someday you have to upgrade to Blu-ray anyway. Why not do it now? Soon or later more games will be coming on Blu-ray. With Blu-ray drive, you can watch Blu-ray movies on your PC. Rage won't be out until 2010 or something so you still have time.

QFT. Someone has to get the ball rolling. I'm not sure who was the first developer to offer their games on DVD instead of cd but someone had to do it. As long as the option is there for both I'm usually all for the less disc option. Also, a 6x BD-Rom drive should be able to offer better throughput than even a 20x DVD drive.

A quick look at Wiki shows a 20x dvd speed of around 27MBps and a 6x BD is about 27MBps. However, remember that DVD's are CLV and BD's are CAV. A dvd is only 20x on the very outer part of the disc, it could easily be under 10x (say around 13MBps) at the beginning of a DVD. BD discs on the other hand are a constant 27MBps if being read at 6x. The actual install time between the two could be fairly significant especially if you have to start swapping discs.

DoomUK
08-08-08, 06:22 PM

True.

Though it just doesn't make sense to release a lesser-quality version of the game on DVD, somehow. Unless I'm being overly cynical.

CaptNKILL
08-08-08, 06:45 PM

Oh, somehow I missed that Rage is a 2010 game. That's a long way off.

I wouldn't buy a BD drive now then. By the time the game is out the drives will be far better and far cheaper.