PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve I have about people and GPU website reviews...

ChrisRay
05-13-03, 06:03 PM
Have you ever noticed, That instantly when someone sees a review that they dislike. That instantly that reviewer is biased? But they liked the review they did earlier in favor of what they like?

I have noticed this on both sides of the fence, and its quite irritating. Anandtech does one thing. OMG they are so anti Nvidia, tomshardware does this. omg they are anti ATI

Then later when the tables turned. OMG tomshardware is anti Nvidia, And omg anandtech is anti Nvidia.

People hope for pure objective opinions when they read reviews, it's simple as that, Objectivity in these situations is almost impossible to have, Different people will have different opinions.

There are situations where I see a site (and a particularly reviewer) *cough* continue to make stupid decisions and reviews *cough* I think you know who I am talking about. At that point it's good to point fingers,

But come on people. Just because a reviewer doesn't meet your aproval on a paticularl review does not make them "Pro Nvidia or Pro ATI" or "rigged"

Just remember if you don't like that paticularly review, Check out others, That why we have the internet, And endless source of information...

End Rant...

P.S. Solomon didn't mean to ignore you in that paticular thread, I wasn't sure what you were talking about at the time. Now I do ;)

jAkUp
05-13-03, 07:23 PM
i am also so sick of seeing different numbers in different reviews... i could see a few fps... but some reviews make the nv35 have a huge, or rather small lead over the 9800... so confusing:confused:

dpollard55
05-14-03, 06:09 AM
Reviews are like opinions.... and opinions are like, well let's just say everybody has one and leave it at that. :D Not that reviews can't be helpful in some ways, but they have to be taken as a small part of the overall picture.

Hanners
05-14-03, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Have you ever noticed, That instantly when someone sees a review that they dislike. That instantly that reviewer is biased? But they liked the review they did earlier in favor of what they like?

I have noticed this on both sides of the fence, and its quite irritating. Anandtech does one thing. OMG they are so anti Nvidia, tomshardware does this. omg they are anti ATI

Then later when the tables turned. OMG tomshardware is anti Nvidia, And omg anandtech is anti Nvidia.

I couldn't agree with this more, you're absolutely right.

I wish people would learn to make constructive criticism and point about reviews rather than waving the 'biased' flag - I get the feeling a lot more would be achieved and learned that way.

For the record, I don't think any of the major hardware review sites are biased. Incompetent at times maybe, but not biased. ;)

Sazar
05-14-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay

People hope for pure objective opinions when they read reviews, it's simple as that, Objectivity in these situations is almost impossible to have, Different people will have different opinions.

There are situations where I see a site (and a particularly reviewer) *cough* continue to make stupid decisions and reviews *cough* I think you know who I am talking about. At that point it's good to point fingers,

But come on people. Just because a reviewer doesn't meet your aproval on a paticularl review does not make them "Pro Nvidia or Pro ATI" or "rigged"

Just remember if you don't like that paticularly review, Check out others, That why we have the internet, And endless source of information...

End Rant...

P.S. Solomon didn't mean to ignore you in that paticular thread, I wasn't sure what you were talking about at the time. Now I do ;)

heh... very valid... it really has irked me the last few days to see the juveniles come out of the woodwork proclaiming that such and such is better than such and such because of whatever reasons...

it is HIGHLY unlikely that a perpetrated (sp?) victory in a 'battle' such as this will actually improve the quality of life of the general forum users such as us :)

but anyways :) there are some reviewers who do a smack bang job... ie sean P. but there are also a lot of disappointing reviews out there for us to flounder through and make sense of...

I usually know within the first couple of pages of benches if I am going to bother wasting my brain cells on the material @ hand... :)

b3d is one of the few sites that I don't CARE about the quality of the benches itself.. I have to READ the setup and tech because dave normally explains things better and appears to have an understanding of what he is dealing with to a far greater extent than the majority of peoples out there...