PDA

View Full Version : I was "asleep" for two months.

HiCZoK4
08-09-08, 05:51 PM
I wasnt after hardware stuff recently. What have changed ?
I have 8800gt with some 2month old drivers currently.

What is with that physx support ? Are there any special drivers or what ?
What are GTX nvidia cards ? Are those new models of 8xxx series or new technology tree ?

Technoholic
08-09-08, 07:23 PM
GTX200 Series are the new generation video cards.

bob saget
08-09-08, 10:08 PM
and ATi came out with 4870 which competes against the 260

methimpikehoses
08-09-08, 10:18 PM
ATi 4870x2 comes out in a few days, and should pwn everything.

Lfctony
08-10-08, 01:01 AM
ATi 4870x2 comes out in a few days, and should pwn everything.

Yeah, including Micro-stuttering... :headexplode:

HiCZoK4
08-10-08, 04:19 AM
What about physx ? I downloaded these new drivers and that demos included arent any amazing

Dreamingawake
08-10-08, 08:50 AM
Are you still sleeping, even though you're here now ??

Go read some of the forums !! You'll figure it out..;)

Heinz68
08-10-08, 09:55 AM
Are you absolutely sure about that.
From what I did read up to now the HD 4870 x2 just about eliminated microstuttering at least in games the card will run the minimum 40 FPS.
There is definitely going to be big improvement about this compared to previous crossfire or present SLI.

thedosbox
08-10-08, 12:07 PM

UT2004 on 8800's (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84358) left a message for you.

Lfctony
08-10-08, 12:27 PM
UT2004 on 8800's (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84358) left a message for you.

You misunderstood my post... The point is the card will also be the king in Micro-stuttering, ie it will still suffer from it... With the 4870x2, it's less but still present... And before you jump on me, no, not all people notice micro-stuttering... And no, they should not notice it by force...

crainger
08-10-08, 06:11 PM
You misunderstood my post... The point is the card will also be the king in Micro-stuttering, ie it will still suffer from it... With the 4870x2, it's less but still present... And before you jump on me, no, not all people notice micro-stuttering... And no, they should not notice it by force...

::rofl:

If people don't see, make them!

thedosbox
08-10-08, 07:29 PM

Seeing as some nvidia cards have the same problem, how is this a negative on the part of the 4870x2? Or are you suggesting we all stick with Intel integrated video? :p

Lfctony
08-11-08, 12:00 AM
Seeing as some nvidia cards have the same problem, how is this a negative on the part of the 4870x2? Or are you suggesting we all stick with Intel integrated video? :p

Yes Nvidia cards suffer from it too. Never said otherwise. Maybe I should make my signature BIGGER.

The point is it may be the fastest single card solution card around, but it still suffers from a rather serious issue in my book. Take it however you wish... I'm recommending a single GPU card, not an Nvidia card... Don't assume stuff from my post. I never said one should go with Nvidia cards...

Stoneyguy
08-11-08, 12:36 AM
::rofl:

If people don't see, make them!

You know, this is actually a concern of mine. I never really looked into this micro stuttering stuff because I've not noticed any problems with my crossfire config. I'm afraid that if I do look into it and see examples, I'll start to see it in my games.

It's kind of like the 3D puzzles that you have to stare at a certain way to see it. It takes awhile to actually see what it is, but once you know what it is you can see it every time much easier.

Lfctony
08-11-08, 12:48 AM
You know, this is actually a concern of mine. I never really looked into this micro stuttering stuff because I've not noticed any problems with my crossfire config. I'm afraid that if I do look into it and see examples, I'll start to see it in my games.

It's kind of like the 3D puzzles that you have to stare at a certain way to see it. It takes awhile to actually see what it is, but once you know what it is you can see it every time much easier.

If you've not seen it yet, don't look for it... There's nothing worse than becoming obsessed with an issue, after someone else pointed it out... Had that with one of my motherboards. When I first installed it, it kept buzzing during activity. My brother didn't notice it at all until I told him, 3 days later. He asked me to remove the board and send it back 2 days after I pointed it out. It became so annoying, he couldn't focus on anything else! :)

Xion X2
08-11-08, 01:26 AM
The Micro-stuttering thing is grossly exaggerated. I've tested over 12 games with Crossfire so far on the 4800-series, and they all play the same as on a single card aside from running at twice the framerate. If that's a negative for you (whoever you are that's considering a dual-GPU solution), then so be it.

The 4870X2 will be the best dual-GPU solution thus far with the sideport interconnect between the GPUs in addition to the standard PCI-E lane. It more than triples the bandwidth of the prior generation GPU (3870X2.) So any "micro-stuttering" that may or may not exist will be more minimal than it has in any other dual-GPU solution thus far:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6821/20080808e691c4a1f58ba4fvl7.jpg

Lfctony
08-11-08, 01:32 AM
Xion, do you know if this improvement exists with Crossfired boards (ie on your setup)? Or is it something that can be found only on the 4870x2 so far?

thedosbox
08-16-08, 03:45 AM
Yes Nvidia cards suffer from it too. Never said otherwise. Maybe I should make my signature BIGGER.

Make it as big as you want. Disabled sigs and avatars FTW :D

The point is it may be the fastest single card solution card around, but it still suffers from a rather serious issue in my book.

And given early reports (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117869) from actual owners, it would seem you might be reading a different book .

Lfctony
08-16-08, 05:36 AM
Make it as big as you want. Disabled sigs and avatars FTW :D

And given early reports (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117869) from actual owners, it would seem you might be reading a different book .

You're too late buddy... You're beating a dead horse...

Loreman
08-16-08, 08:12 AM

Actually the stuttering effects ALL multi GPU solutions.

Check out this great article on the stuttering.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=631668

It's more to do with the actual timing of when the frames are displayed within the second.

Obviously if you have 60 FPS in a less demanding game than say Crysis, it will seem mostly smooth SLI or not. It is MUCH more noticable in more demanding games.

Lfctony
08-16-08, 08:29 AM
Actually the stuttering effects ALL multi GPU solutions.

Never said otherwise. It's in my previous posts... If you look around in these forums a bit more, you'll actually discover that I have two GTX280s but only using one because of this issue. It's also in my sig... :)

Xion X2
08-16-08, 10:06 AM
Xion, do you know if this improvement exists with Crossfired boards (ie on your setup)? Or is it something that can be found only on the 4870x2 so far?

I haven't tested Crysis yet but will be today or tomorrow on both a single X2 and quadfire.

thedosbox
08-16-08, 05:07 PM
You're too late buddy... You're beating a dead horse...

As of right now, six people posted that they have no stuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1496). On the other side of the coin, we have the same "pcgameshardware.de" article being spammed, along with two votes who've got stuttering.

Yep, dead horse.

Lfctony
08-17-08, 12:05 AM
As of right now, six people posted that they have no stuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1496). On the other side of the coin, we have the same "pcgameshardware.de" article being spammed, along with two votes who've got stuttering.

Yep, dead horse.

Again, dead horse means argument rsolved, moot. We agreed not to discuss it further...

Dead horse it is... Note that Xion X2 or Heinz68 or Dookika aren't discussing it further with me... Give it up... I am not biting...