PDA

View Full Version : 3 monitors, NVIDIA SLI?

ZachHobbs
08-11-08, 09:21 AM
I'm currently using two 17" monitors on my aging machine and will be building a gaming box soon. The two 17" monitors are not ideal for gaming, so I was considering purchasing a 28" monitor and sticking it in between the two 17's. Can I use this machine in two modes somehow?

Mode 1 (work):
Linux, 3 monitors driven by 2 Nvidia cards

Mode 2 (playing a game):
Vista, 1 monitor using 2 Nvidia cards in SLI

I'm a newbie to SLI so please point me in the right direction! (and also feel free to reccomend a good card sub $200 card)..

Thanks!
-Zach

Prod
08-13-08, 12:13 AM
I would say stay away from SLI i have been using it now for about a year and i will not be using it again when i upgrade my cards. i understand that u are going to need 2 cards to run 3 monitors. i would say look at the new ATI cards out. you are going to get better game play out of the new 4870 X2 then what the 200 cards give out. what cards u should look at also has to do with how much u want to spend.

blackwaves_2000
10-31-08, 07:03 AM
With the way you are looking to run your system, you will be fine. SLI is by no mean a perfect system, it has it's hicups and is not for the NOVICE user. With a little know how it can be very advantagous. Yea you will need 3 cards to run 3 monitors, but SLI will be disabled. And then when you game, you simply select 1(your 28") monitor and enable SLI while the other two monitors are disabled. Every game will act differently to SLI, some("most") will perform very well. When you start to reach your cards limts(overclocking) and adjusting settings trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of your card and system is when most instabilty issues occur!!! Overclocking is cool but know the limits(temp, voltage, your PSU) and if you really want a better experience buy a better card. Hope that helps, I have used SLI sense my first full system build and I will never go back to a single card system.

Yea the ATI X2 card is faster, two GPU's on 1 card what do you expect. Very few people can get the crossfire on them to function at all, let alone properly. Nvidia still makes the fastest single GPU chip set that works just fine in SLI(given the proper enviroment).

Most people find themselves having issues with SLI cause they spent $800+ on video cards, and either brought a bargin MoBO, PSU, HDD, RAM, and/or CPU and the video cards can hardly do there job. "Don't have a BENTLY coupe and your renting a room from you mother in her apartment!!!" If that saying means anything.

Good luck with SLI... I love it!!!

hell_of_doom227
10-31-08, 01:25 PM
I would say stay away from SLI i have been using it now for about a year and i will not be using it again when i upgrade my cards. i understand that u are going to need 2 cards to run 3 monitors. i would say look at the new ATI cards out. you are going to get better game play out of the new 4870 X2 then what the 200 cards give out. what cards u should look at also has to do with how much u want to spend.

I think you have no clue what are you talking about.

280GTX SLI is nothing but major kick ass. Best setup i had in years...
280GTX SLI or 260GTX SLI will require bad ass PSU, and fast CPU and some good quality motherboard.

rage10
11-02-08, 12:30 AM
you can get a splitter for dvi cables so you can run up to 4 moniters with one card. in your case a gtx 260 will be pretty good although I reall cant tell you what ati has thats comparable.

Bman212121
11-02-08, 08:17 AM
I'm currently using two 17" monitors on my aging machine and will be building a gaming box soon. The two 17" monitors are not ideal for gaming, so I was considering purchasing a 28" monitor and sticking it in between the two 17's. Can I use this machine in two modes somehow?

Mode 1 (work):
Linux, 3 monitors driven by 2 Nvidia cards

Mode 2 (playing a game):
Vista, 1 monitor using 2 Nvidia cards in SLI

I'm a newbie to SLI so please point me in the right direction! (and also feel free to reccomend a good card sub $200 card)..

Thanks!
-Zach

Yes that will work fine. With the latest SLI drivers you can actually have all 3 monitors still enabled, then when you launch a game it just goes fullscreen on the primary display. With a 28" monitor you might want to consider a pair of cards above $200, the GTX 260 with 216 stream processors. It's almost a GTX280, but still quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048%201369844342&Description=gtx%20260&name=216%20processing%20cores

It can be had for about $280 a piece. You can also look at the normal GTX 260 which has 192 stream processors and is about $225 a piece.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048%201369844342&Description=gtx%20260&name=216%20processing%20cores

I would honestly suggest to steer away from the 9 series because of the 512MB ram using a 256bit bus. At high resolutions it has shown that it can impact performance in a negative way. The GTX 260's have 896MB vram using a 448 bit bus, allowing much better performance when you combine high resolution with AA / AF.