PDA

View Full Version : Few questions (mostly pertaining power supply & graphic cards)

Seeknay25
08-11-08, 03:57 PM
I would just like to get some knowledge from people who know more about this subject before I spend 450 bucks. At first I just needed and graphics card but then realized I need a lot better power supply. Now is there requirements that I should be aware of. I plan on buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
Now this says its 7.4 x 5.9 x 3.4
That 7.4 is length, right? Because if it means that my computer needs to be 8 inches wide then we got a problem. I'm hoping theres no requirements for me to run this.
I also plan on buying Radeon hd 4870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113) I'm pretty sure that will be fine but if I wanted to do crossfire in the future would I be able to do this with the power supply? If theres anything here than you can answer or something I didnt know about this then please do post.

misc. info
model#=am3100
board=Acer F690GVM

jeffmd
08-11-08, 04:59 PM
If your pc is using a generic 350+ watt psu or bigger, its the same size and shape. If you have a mini tower with one of the smaller 250watt or smaller power supplies you are out of luck.

That PSU looks like it can handle 2 of those video cards fine.

Seeknay25
08-11-08, 11:30 PM
Thx a lot for the comment and I looked into it and my tower is indeed 7 inches wide. If that means i cant fit it then that sucks for me. I currently got a 250 watt and as you say that means I got a small case. So is it easy, and i mean very easy to get and switch everything over to another case? On newegg I found a couple a 30 bucks. Is there any reason why I should spend more? I sort of want it to last me but I would be fine just using a cheap one for a while until i spend a lot on a more expensive one. And again, is it easy to move my motherboard and everything over to the new case? As much information as you want to give me is greatly appreciated.

EciDemon
08-12-08, 02:04 AM
It's usually easy to switch chassi, takes 15-30 min or so depending on how picky you are about cable management and such. "Hardest" part i think is those small signal cables for HDleds, power switch etc since they are so small.

You need to figure out what formfactor your motherboard is (Atx, miniatx etc etc) and make sure the new case supports mounting for it, many cases are universal though so it should be no problem.

I would however recomend a big case with mounts for 120mm fan in front and back as they are more silent then 80mm. It's also good for airflow for highend hardware :)
Bigger cases are also a bit easier to work with.
If you can, go down to the computer store and look at chassies to get an idea of what you need/want.