PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Gamers Play 45 hours per Week

Pages : [1] 2

MowTin
08-12-08, 12:04 AM
http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_080811.html

PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, August 11, 2008 – Extreme Gamers spend an average of 45 hours a week playing video games and have purchased 24 titles in the past three months, according to Games Segmentation 2008, the most recent report from leading market research company, The NPD Group.

The report provides detailed analysis of seven gamer segments, which are defined by ownership, usage, and frequency. It identifies the video game platforms and genres, as well as retailers that appeal to various gamer segments, helping the industry to better understand video game sales, ownership, and usage patterns within these segments.

Of the 174 million gamers who personally play games on PC/Mac or video game systems, 3 percent are Extreme Gamers, 9 percent are Avid PC Gamers, 17 percent are Console Gamers, 14 percent Online PC Gamers, 15 percent are Offline PC Gamers, 22 percent are Young Heavy Gamers and 20 percent are Secondary Gamers.

With over 38 million gamers, Young Heavy Gamers is the largest and one of the heaviest gaming groups in the U.S. The Extreme and Young Heavy Gamers over-index on every video game system with the Extreme Gamer showing a strong preference for PS3 and 360 and the Young Heavy showing a strong preference for portables.

Given their size and heavy gaming characteristics, Young Heavy Gamers typically make up at least one-third of any system’s owners and tend to gravitate towards portable platforms. For Nintendo DS (NDS) and PlayStation Portable (PSP), six out of every 10 owners are Young Heavy Gamers. Console Gamers is the second largest segment of the owner base of any system, with the exception of the NDS and PSP.

According to the report, while the PC is used more than any single console for gaming, Console Gamers, Young Heavy Gamers, and Extreme Gamers are more likely to use consoles than a PC to play video games.

“Although Extreme Gamers are heavily involved with the industry, they represent a small portion of the potential market for any new game that comes to market,” said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. “In order to promote continued growth, we must better understand all of the gaming segments.”

2 games per week? That's pretty hardcore.

CaptNKILL
08-12-08, 01:18 AM
I played Fallout 2 for 8 hours straight today.

:o :o :o :o

-=DVS=-
08-12-08, 01:43 AM
Meh 45 is not extreme when i had no school or work i did over 80 a week , those days are long gone :( work sucks.

crainger
08-12-08, 01:58 AM
I'm lucky when I can manage 10-15 these days. I remember when I was unemployed for a bit... Man I'd game all day and all night. ::D:

NaitoSan
08-12-08, 02:24 AM
Right now without school and job... I'm playing hardcore and catching up on games. That's just awesome. :D School starts again next month. :(

LordJuanlo
08-12-08, 02:30 AM
I'm no extreme player anymore... so sad

nutcrackr
08-12-08, 03:41 AM
45 is just wow. I don't think I did that even when I had just about all the time in the world.

what's more interesting to me is these people buy 24 games in 3 months, how in the holy hell do you get 24 good or better quality games in 3 months? Was this down in q4 of last year? In any case that's still a lot.

27% of pc games are bought online, that's not too bad.

mojoman0
08-12-08, 04:14 AM
Meh 45 is not extreme when i had no school or work i did over 80 a week , those days are long gone :( work sucks.

thats gross dude...sorry but damn:headexplode:

bob saget
08-12-08, 04:20 AM
have almost no time to play now...

SilentMercury
08-12-08, 04:47 AM
This isn't anything to laugh at, but 45 hours a week is lightweight gaming by my standards. I am hopelessly addicted to videogames, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am not even going to say what my weekly average is, but if I can break my addiction, I would consider becoming active in making videogame addiction more aware to the public, and that it is serious. While I do work 40 hours a week, I sleep around 5 hours a day. Why only 5 you ask?
Because I would rather sacrifice sleep time to make sure I have as much time as possible to delve into the world of videogames. People need to understand that when someone is extremly addicted to videogames, it's not because they are 'fun', it's because they find that their life is so disappointing that they feel by creating a different life, or lives, in videogames, it gives them more self satisfaction than what they do in their real life. Sure it's sad, but it is a serious mental problem that needs to be tended to. :zombie4:

bob saget
08-12-08, 04:49 AM
This isn't anything to laugh at, but 45 hours a week is lightweight gaming by my standards. I am hopelessly addicted to videogames, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am not even going to say what my weekly average is, but if I can break my addiction, I would consider becoming active in making videogame addiction more aware to the public, and that it is serious. While I do work 40 hours a week, I sleep around 5 hours a day. Why only 5 you ask?
Because I would rather sacrifice sleep time to make sure I have as much time as possible to delve into the world of videogames. People need to understand that when someone is extremly addicted to videogames, it's not because they are 'fun', it's because they find that their life is so disappointing that they feel by creating a different life, or lives, in videogames, it gives them more self satisfaction than what they do in their real life. Sure it's sad, but it is a serious mental problem that needs to be tended to. :zombie4:

are you getting help? that sounds real serious.........

Badboy_12345
08-12-08, 04:54 AM
I would want more time playing games :(

I maybe get 10-15 hours a week :thumbdwn:

K007
08-12-08, 05:09 AM
Doesn't sound extreme to me..i used to be crap loads when i was playing WoW..i did the dam honor grind twice as well..which had me going 3-4 days full 24 hour clock/day and the last 2-3 days i just get 2-3 hr of sleep....****....that game was so gay...and i want to play the death knight..

npras42
08-12-08, 05:38 AM
I've never ever gamed that much, jeez. Most addicted I've ever been is FFX which I completed over 2 weeks so that was roughly 30 hours per week, and I've never done anywhere near as much since.

Wolfhound
08-12-08, 05:44 AM
I'm no extreme player anymore... so sad

Me too... is sad, work takes all my time and on weekends wife takes the rest, so little to no time to play games. :(

TheANIMAL
08-12-08, 05:58 AM
Pah, i once did a 170 hour playing week.

K007
08-12-08, 06:08 AM

what part of the world do you live in to get that extra 2 hours?!:thumbdwn::headexplode: i mean what planet..

asd
08-12-08, 04:22 PM

Get out of here stalker. (nana2)

nV`andrew
08-12-08, 04:33 PM
I've probably done 60-70 before, I average about 25, but now my hours will be around 10-15 with school coming up.

3DBrad
08-12-08, 06:01 PM
Thankfully I get payed to make games. :D

I love it. :)

npras42
08-12-08, 06:09 PM
Thankfully I get payed to make games. :D

I love it. :)

You know sometimes you see interviews of developers, and they ask them what games they like at the moment or have influenced them and quite often they say that they don't get the chance to play much, or they name some game thats like a year old.

ralinn
08-12-08, 06:20 PM
Teehee, I love threads that make me feel better about myself. :D

ATOJAR
08-12-08, 06:48 PM
Before i met the wife & had to two kids i would come home from work at around 4:30pm, have some food, straight to my room on my pc, playing from maby 5:00pm untill 12:00am - 1:00am(sometimes later)in the morning, just on steam speak chatting to my squad members, playing online games i only used to really go out on the weekends when i was off work .. mind that was a long long time ago when i still lived with my mam and dad, even now my gaming hours still aint to bad, finish work at 4:30pm, get home spend time with the wife & kids, kids go to bed at 8:00pm every night & the wifey usually goes around 9:00pm - 10:00pm ... as soon as the wife goes to bed ill go on and have afew gaming sessions, the weekends are great, it means i can game till 2:00am - 3:00am and have some beers while playing!

Vanzagar
08-12-08, 07:40 PM

You play sports? I find playing sports makes me feel better and allows me to meet people... signing up for a gym sucks in the beginning but if you get into working out it has huge benefits (they say it takes 3 months to make and break a habit)... unless you change something in your life you'll tend to keep getting the same results...

Teehee, I love threads that make me feel better about myself. :D

God, how insensitive... nice dude, I'm so happy for you...

Tr1cK
08-12-08, 07:47 PM
I'm married, therefore I am not an 'extreme' loser and focus on real life. It's a GREAT game.

No offense to any in particular, I just think that any man past school age should be working at least 40 and spending quality time with family or girl. Games are one of the lowest priorities there is.