PDA

View Full Version : Badaboom Video Transcoding has been released!! HW Accelerated H264 Encoding!!!

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
08-12-08, 08:12 AM
go here to grab it
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/forcewithin/uk/download.asp

tweaked
08-12-08, 10:09 AM
ummm, ditto?

Revs
08-12-08, 01:23 PM
Anyone tried it yet. Is it fast?

andrebrait
08-12-08, 02:19 PM
I can't play the converted videos to any of the devices. Strange.

walterman
08-12-08, 03:01 PM
I must try this too, but, as Slawter said, without HD support is pretty useless.

nekrosoft13
08-12-08, 04:23 PM
Cool, but the mkv incompatibility blows. :(

try again, use tsmuxer to convert mkv to ts or m2ts

Richteralan
08-12-08, 04:32 PM
Hope future version can support AAC in MKV.

$n][pErMan
08-12-08, 04:50 PM
I tried it but it's a bit picky about the formats. HD .mkv files didn't work properly, AAC Audio is only supported as an output format and divx isn't support at input.

It is pretty fast though, 170-196 FPS while converting.

No divx.... nvm then :( Was going to try it.. I wanted to convert some divx files for use on my ipod. Anyone know of any other free conversion programs?

walterman
08-12-08, 05:40 PM
Ok, i just did my tests.

It seems to accepts mpeg/ts/m2ts as input. I did not try avi or mkv.

I converted a 1280x720p dvb source, to a 2.5mbit vbr baseline h264 output (modified ps3 profile).

The encoding speed on the 8800GTX (overclocked), was around 37fps.

Also, in the middle of the encoding process, i opened an h264 file in powerdvd (with the purevideo hw acceleration on), and the tool was able to keep the same encoding framerate. This is interesting, cause it confirms that the nvidia cards have dedicated video processors for the video decoding.

Then, i checked the quality, and well, looks ok (but horrible for my personal taste :D)

Ok, then i encoded the same file, with the same profile and bitrate, with the x264 software based encoder. And guess what -> 40 fps !!!

The quality in both encodes is similar. Both look ok (but horrible for my taste :))

I'll try again when i get a faster gfx card.

-=DVS=-
08-12-08, 07:28 PM
Im not impressed its one of those very basic one click apps for clueless people :p

Bman212121
08-12-08, 07:50 PM
Yea I've been playing around with a few other encoders so I'm wondering where all of the settings are. Usually there are too many things to me to want to have to set, this doesn't have enough.

The interface is still a little clunky too, but I'm sure they'll be able to work on that.

I'm doing an encode right now at 100fps. I started on with sli mode disabled and it was doing 100fps. Then I tried with sli enabled, it's also 100fps so obviously it will only use one card atm.

G-Man
08-12-08, 08:54 PM
the retail of this is going to be so ****ing sweet :) can't wait mkv 720p baby!

SLippe
08-12-08, 08:59 PM
Can I convert HD .mov files into .wmv files for Dreamscene? :bleh:

G-Man
08-12-08, 11:22 PM
yeah it doesn't let you convert to a specific file type except to "PS3, XBOX 360, PSP, IPHONE etc" lol so gay

Video_fiend
08-13-08, 04:16 PM
Ok, i just did my tests.

Also, in the middle of the encoding process, i opened an h264 file in powerdvd (with the purevideo hw acceleration on), and the tool was able to keep the same encoding framerate. This is interesting, cause it confirms that the nvidia cards have dedicated video processors for the video decoding.

Then, i checked the quality, and well, looks ok (but horrible for my personal taste :D)

Ok, then i encoded the same file, with the same profile and bitrate, with the x264 software based encoder. And guess what -> 40 fps !!!

I'll try again when i get a faster gfx card.

Walterman,
Did you try opening powerdvd in the middle of the x264 transcode and playing the file back at that time as well? I'm wondering if with your GPU transcode will let you do other stuff with your PC but the x264 transcode would not.

Monolyth
08-13-08, 04:33 PM
yeah it doesn't let you convert to a specific file type except to "PS3, XBOX 360, PSP, IPHONE etc" lol so gay

Yeah this has nothing on meGUI, it's too bad also CUDA would rule with all those config options. Maybe we'll get lucky and get some opensource encoder builds w/CUDA tech.

fivefeet8
08-13-08, 06:50 PM
Converted a 20 gig HD 1080p MPEG2 video file into a 5 gig HD 1080p h264 MP4 file in about 2 hours(full movie). ;)

walterman
08-13-08, 07:28 PM
Walterman,
Did you try opening powerdvd in the middle of the x264 transcode and playing the file back at that time as well? I'm wondering if with your GPU transcode will let you do other stuff with your PC but the x264 transcode would not.

1st, i started the encoding process with badaboom. CPU load was at 5-10%.

Then, when the encoding was done at 50%, i launched powerdvd, and i opened one my 1080p h264 dvb streams.

Badaboom encoding speed did not change, and the CPU load raised to a 15-20% (usually i only need a 5-10% to decode a 1080p HQ stream thanks to the hw acceleration).

Badaboom uses the shader power of the card, and Purevideo uses the video processor (which is another part of the gpu).

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8466/2
# Purer video capabilities The NV40 was supposed to have a very nice video processing engine built into it that would accelerate the encoding and decoding of advanced video formats like WMV. However, that first attempt at a video processing engine apparently wasn't up to the task, and the NV40 thus lacked some of the video acceleration capabilities NVIDIA had originally claimed it would have. Later chips in the NV4x series got a revised version of the video processing engine that worked as planned, and NVIDIA packaged these capabilities into a brand it calls PureVideo. With the G70, NVIDIA's high-end cards finally get a proper PureVideo implementation.

Also, because NVIDIA GPUs do load balancing between their video processing engine and their pixel shaders, the G70 should be able to deliver more power for video processing than any other NVIDIA GPU. This additional power could be especially helpful in accelerating the playback of high-definition video formats, including the new H.264 standard.

UloPe
08-13-08, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I just did a quick side by side comparison:

Input: DVD Rip (mpeg2-ts) 720x576, 25.0 fps
Output: h264, 480x320, 1500 kbps ("iPhone Profile")

Hardware: GeForce 8800GTX (stock clock), Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Badaboom 0.9 (CUDA): ~ 98 FPS
Handbrake 0.9.3 (CPU): ~ 31 FPS

So gpu encoding is definitely a huge improvement for me.

hokeyplyr48
08-13-08, 08:03 PM
it's pretty good except you can't change many settings. and a big one for me is cropping (to remove the black bars at top and bottom)
but definitely alot quicker, but needs to be less n00b-proof