PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Ultra cooling

bkswaney
05-14-03, 03:16 AM
I took this from a review at X-bit.

This cooler works in two modes on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. Each mode has its own fan rotation speed. Moreover, the card automatically turns of high-speed mode from time to time depending on the temperature shown by the integrated monitoring system. However, even in high-speed mode the new cooler is much quieter than the notorious FlowFX.

So why did nvidia not put the automatic temp monitor on the NV30? Or did they?

There would be less burned up cards right now because of 3D screensavers.
Even the new 44.03 drivers do not address these issue on some of the NV30's like mine.
It pisses me off. :mad:
Does anyone have a email address for PNY?
I was really hoping this could be fixed in new drivers.
But it seems it's not.

Deimos
05-14-03, 03:53 AM
Speaking of the cooling.. I wonder if a large passive heatsink could do a good enough job on the 5900 Ultra?

Dunno if it's possible, but it would be one less fan that makes noise.

/Deimos

bkswaney
05-14-03, 04:20 AM
What I do not get is sometimes the fan will come on and run while the SS is running. Other times it shuts off after a min or so.

I'm not sure on the PH cooling the 5900.

Captain Beige
05-14-03, 05:02 AM
if it was such a good idea that the FX dumped some of its heat outside the case, how come the nvidia 5900 ultra is still 2-slot but the second slot is blank and not an exhaust?

bkswaney
05-14-03, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Captain Beige
if it was such a good idea that the FX dumped some of its heat outside the case, how come the nvidia 5900 ultra is still 2-slot but the second slot is blank and not an exhaust?

Noise. You cannot make a quite pc with a flow fx.
But by far the FlowFX is the best videocard cooler ever made. " my 2 cents anyway"

shortys31
05-14-03, 05:53 AM
ya it is the best idea cooler ... but its just the noise that i wouldnt be able to stand