PDA

View Full Version : 8mb or 16mb cache installs

Tr1cK
08-12-08, 05:02 PM
I fudged and got one 8mb cache WD 320 coming and one 16mb coming. Don't ask.

I plan on keeping one for OS, program installs, AutoCAD, etc and the other exclusively for game installs.
Which should I use for what? I'm leaning towards the 8mb for game installs right now.

Tr1cK
08-13-08, 09:34 AM
/crickets

Is there even much of a difference in performance if both are identical except for cache?

npras42
08-13-08, 12:49 PM
There prob is a performance difference. I think the problem is that no-one is sure which way round would be best. Either way games or Windows will have an advantage.

Tr1cK
08-13-08, 01:06 PM
Thanks Dr Nick.

I was scouring the net for some answers, couldn't find much so I posted here. I read that cache doesn't have as big of effect on read performance, so I think I will make the 8mb cache drive the game drive since most of that is just reading. The 16mb cache will probably be better for the OS, applications, and page file.

CaptNKILL
08-13-08, 02:14 PM
Thanks Dr Nick.

I was scouring the net for some answers, couldn't find much so I posted here. I read that cache doesn't have as big of effect on read performance, so I think I will make the 8mb cache drive the game drive since most of that is just reading. The 16mb cache will probably be better for the OS, applications, and page file.

I agree with this.

AngelGraves13
08-13-08, 04:35 PM
When I got my 32 MB cache drives, I noticed a difference in speed. Stuff just loads faster.

Also, I don't use a paging file...slows down the whole computer.