PDA

View Full Version : RAM: 800 MHz or 1066 & timings ??

feedback
08-12-08, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my Striker Formula II and am in the process of building my rig. I have yet to choose what memory to buy, and to be honest I seem to be going round in circles. (it used to be easy)

Here is what I am thinking:
1) I am not into over clocking (yet... pls dont shoot me) - so it looks like standard 800 MHz with lower CL timings would be better than 1066 MHz (in terms of bang for you buck)

2) I notice from your signatures that many of you Striker users are not using memory from the Asus Qualified Vendors List? I am not surprised as the memory there looked a little lower end? How important is this?

3) The final thing I noticed is that unless you OC your system, there seems to be very little difference in RAM performance between medium and high end sticks of the same speed (i.e 800 MHz $-$$$ or 1066 MHz $-$$$).

Am I right? If any of you could steer me in the right direction or let me know what works for you I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for you help!

Revs
08-12-08, 07:14 PM
Go for the the 800mhz stuff. I'm a big fan of OCZ RAM. They seem to be the best non-QVL memory for stability from what I've seen. This nVidia SLI approved stuff I've got has been great.

$n][pErMan
08-12-08, 07:22 PM
OCZ +1 :D Great RAM and the 800Mhz OCZ RAM will overclock nice if you ever decide to do so ;)

feedback
08-13-08, 05:28 AM
Thanks very much guys!

I am off to get some dual channel OCZ then!

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_sli_ready_edition_4gb_dual_chann el

And a RAM cooler too, what the hell!:beer:

BTW Revs, what frame-rates do you get with FSX on your setup?

AngelGraves13
08-15-08, 01:14 AM
I used to use Corsair, but now I'm all OCZ. Amazon always has great rebates on anything OCZ.