PDA

View Full Version : Best Intel 875P chipset motheboard?

Kain
05-14-03, 06:19 AM
Which is the best Intel 875P chipset motherboard?

Secondly, what is the difference between the Abit IC7-G and the Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance?

Riptide
05-14-03, 09:03 AM
Not sure which is the best one but the Intel board is a sweet looking black beast... Almost bought one for myself until I saw the $200+ price tag. Ouch...

Kain
05-14-03, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but the Intel motherboards probably don't have much (if any) overclocking features.

Riptide
05-14-03, 01:27 PM
I see... The original post didn't mention anything about OC. ;)

Either way, that Intel board at least looks sweet. And you know it has to be stable since it's from them.

Nemesis
05-16-03, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Kain
Which is the best Intel 875P chipset motherboard?

Secondly, what is the difference between the Abit IC7-G and the Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance?

The IC7 lacks the Gigabit Ethernet, SPDIF in /out and the second Promise SATA controller. Other than that, they are identical. I'm currently waiting for early BIOS bugs to be ironed out, and then an IC7-G will be mine :)

They overclock *very* well with the new P4 C 800's, and overall seem to be top notch mobo's.

schuey74
05-16-03, 10:26 AM
I'm too lazy to go looking thru forums for issues on the IC7, but like Nemesis, it is the mobo I'm going to be getting soon. I had heard about Audigy2 issues, but they seem to have been cleared up. Anything else major that you know of Nemesis?

Kain
05-16-03, 04:44 PM
Does the Abit IC7-G support 533MHz system bus processors?

nVidi0t
05-16-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Kain
Does the Abit IC7-G support 533MHz system bus processors?

Yes.

Kain
05-16-03, 05:11 PM
Nevermind, I found out that it does support the 533MHz system bus processors.

However, how does the Abit IC7 compare to the Asua P4C800 Deluxe in performance, stability, and overclocking?

Nemesis
05-19-03, 05:08 AM
Schuey74:

My only real concern regarding the IC7 boards is the Winbond hardware monitoring chip on some boards seems to be faulty, some folks are reporting high temps and others are not, but with identical CPU's and cooling. Abit say thay are working on a fix, but I wonder how they'll fix a duff chip in a BIOS update. In one post I read somewhere, someone had fixed the problem by soldering a resistor onto the Winbond chip :eek:
However, I feel that these are early mobos, and when I get one in a couple of weeks, all will be well. Most posts on the Abit-USA forum boil down to daft setup issues, and folks not RTFM! These boards do appear to be top notch, and overclock to crazy FSB speeds, well over 1GHz FSB in some cases. I want... :D

Kain:

The Abit IC7's are regarded as the best i875 overclockers, whereas the Asus boards seem to perform a bit better at stock speeds, but I'm fairly sure Abit will beef up the numbers a bit with future BIOS'es. They are both VERY fast... The Asus P4C800 lacks the integrated SATA that is part of the ICH5R southbridge, and is a major feature of the 875 chipset. Asus has been criticised for this on several forums. I do know that the IC7's will take the Thermalright SLK-900U heatsink - sitting next to me here, waiting for a chip to cool... this seems to be the optimal cooling solution for this board at present. Mine has an 80mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 to go with it, and it looks awesome!

gokickrocks
05-27-03, 02:14 PM
my msi board seems to be doing pretty well using the oem hsf and default voltages...

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~wicked01/msi.JPG

havent attached my prommy to it yet...

Monolyth
05-27-03, 02:39 PM
The ASUS P4C800 has been getting regular BIOS updates, that of course is both good and bad ;)

I love the mobo, stable as a rock and well it performs pretty dern well. The only thing I see as a drawback for many is the cost, and it does not come w/default Intel Gigabit it instead uses 3com Gigabit which does not have CPU offload (dun ask me why they didn't use it).

I read a review of the MSI a little bit ago, and it looks to be the best one for the price.

Have phun!

BTW - Specs are in links in sig...if ur blind. (/End ADA Compliance) ;)

AngelGraves13
05-28-03, 02:35 PM
I have the Asus P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard. It's real nice!! Just need to find a way to make that CPU shut up. It's too ****ing loud.

GlowStick
05-30-03, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
my msi board seems to be doing pretty well using the oem hsf and default voltages...

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~wicked01/msi.JPG

havent attached my prommy to it yet...

whaaa 3.5ghz from a 2.4c? can u email me glowstick@insightbb.com the details of your cooling? if i could get those resutls.... oh my!

gokickrocks
05-30-03, 09:54 PM
cooling is from the stock intel heatsink fan,...im waiting for an intel adapter for my prometeia, so im stuck with it for now...

feeding the cpu some more voltage, i could get 293 fsb (cpu at 3516mhz) using the 5:4 mem divider...i will be trying to break 300fsb using the 3:2 divider

MUYA
05-31-03, 06:37 AM
A word of advice, saw over at extremetech that it is possible that i865 chipsets could be turned into a i875. Its Asus who are claiming that it can be done and were touting it untill, Intel sorta told em off.
The link is on the front page and here;

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1112152,00.asp
All users need to do to turn their Intel 865 chipset into an Intel 875 model is to enter the Asus BIOS setup utility, enter the "Advanced" menu, select the chipset configuration utility, and enable the "Memory Acceleration Mode", according to Asus

"Basically the difference between the 865 and 875 is what the yield tester told them," McCarron said.

So maybe u might want to wait for things to become clearer on this situation.I mean if what Asus are saying is true then maybe you could get a cheaper i865 mobo from Asus and then mod it to a i875 thru Asus's utility.

gokickrocks
05-31-03, 02:47 PM
PAT is just binned chips, 875 gaurentees that you get the good yield, while the 865 does not, but there is still a chance you may get it

Lars
06-01-03, 01:55 AM
No doubt about it, the i875P is a great upgrade for the P4 cpu. I'm very happy with my IC7-G and can absolutely recommend it. Whether it's the best canterwood mb or not, well, it's certainly one of the best IMHO.

nin_fragile14
06-01-03, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
cooling is from the stock intel heatsink fan,...im waiting for an intel adapter for my prometeia, so im stuck with it for now...

feeding the cpu some more voltage, i could get 293 fsb (cpu at 3516mhz) using the 5:4 mem divider...i will be trying to break 300fsb using the 3:2 divider

:eek:

That is VERY tempting...

GlowStick
06-01-03, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
:eek:

That is VERY tempting...

I am seriously consdeirng buying a 2.4c 1gig of ram and a MSI Neo 875p and putting it in this machine, while movieng this mobo and cpu to my other box that is missing exactly cpu ram and a mobo.