PDA

View Full Version : GRAW1 and nVidia Physx?

ATI_Dude
08-14-08, 04:25 AM
Does nVidia PhysX work in GRAW1? I have verified that nVidia PhysX is enabled in the Control Panel, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on the in-game physics.

FragMeister
08-14-08, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think older games work with GeForce PhysX - even if they have PhysX support. I think games use a specific PhysX driver version and are not affected by newer PhysX drivers. That would explain why the PhysX control panel applet lists all the versions it has installed instead of just the latest. I guess it's like running a DirectX 8 game on DirectX 10 graphics hardware - it just asks for the DirectX 8 interface and uses that.

I have an older game that has PhysX support (Crazy Machines II), but it doesn't 'see' the GeForce PhysX driver as being a PhysX card, and so does not let me play the PhysX only levels :(

I'm guessing at most of that stuff, so if anyone can confirm or otherwise, I think we'd all like to understand a bit more about how it all works (or not) :D

nekrosoft13
08-14-08, 07:47 AM
sooner or later all games will work

namuk
08-14-08, 11:10 AM
i have that game to try the physx out but how do i no it has detected the physx`s driver also there is no option to enable it in game

TheOneAndOnly
08-14-08, 04:39 PM
Yes, it works in GRAW1 fine for me.

Mike20078800GTX
08-14-08, 09:15 PM
Just curious how you managed to get GRAW 1 to run on vista without it being unstable.

Mine always crashes directly after completing a mission or when its loading a new map in multiplayer. I tried everything with patch 1.35, but eventually gave up and only install it when I reinstall with an XP operating system.

thanks

ATI_Dude
08-15-08, 04:07 AM
Yes, it works in GRAW1 fine for me.

Interesting. How can you tell that it works? There's no option to enable it in-game.

FlakMagnet
08-15-08, 10:44 AM
i have that game to try the physx out but how do i no it has detected the physx`s driver also there is no option to enable it in game

You can download 20 PhysX only labs. They only work when PhysX is detected.

namuk
08-15-08, 10:55 AM
You can download 20 PhysX only labs. They only work when PhysX is detected.

?? do you have the link?

FlakMagnet
08-15-08, 10:58 AM
I downloaded them from within the game!

Atarion
08-15-08, 11:28 AM
GRAW 2 also works perfectly. The in game setting was automatically set. There is obviously a bit of a slowdown, but it looks great. Explosions are better, and there is more debris randomly flying around. You can't beat little extras for nothing.

TheOneAndOnly
08-15-08, 11:45 PM
Interesting. How can you tell that it works? There's no option to enable it in-game.

Sorry it took so long, I never thought to keep track of this thread :)

AFAIK, the game sets itself up automatically. You can tell the difference in the effects if you shut off physX in its control panel. Honestly, it's not all that noticeable, and doesn't affect gameplay one iota.

TheOneAndOnly
08-15-08, 11:47 PM
Just curious how you managed to get GRAW 1 to run on vista without it being unstable.

Mine always crashes directly after completing a mission or when its loading a new map in multiplayer. I tried everything with patch 1.35, but eventually gave up and only install it when I reinstall with an XP operating system.

thanks

I dunno, it works fine in vista x64 for me, but I also don't play multiplayer on it, so I can't help you there. It works fine one singleplayer, although crashed once during a map load. But that's the only time, so I'll blame it on gremlins :D

ATI_Dude
08-16-08, 04:39 AM
Sorry it took so long, I never thought to keep track of this thread :)

AFAIK, the game sets itself up automatically. You can tell the difference in the effects if you shut off physX in its control panel. Honestly, it's not all that noticeable, and doesn't affect gameplay one iota.

Ah, I see thanks. My old eyes can't see any difference, but maybe I just have to look harder :)

TheOneAndOnly
08-19-08, 01:32 PM
Ah, I see thanks. My old eyes can't see any difference, but maybe I just have to look harder :)

It really not that big of a deal in-game. You just see more **** fly around in explosions, and I think the bullet hits look a little different.

GRAW2 does a much better job, not to mention Gears Of War.

namuk
08-19-08, 02:44 PM
this is only the start of physx
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/19/physx-gets-integrated-leading