PDA

View Full Version : Get DDL for $4.72 from Creative

GTstrudl
08-14-08, 10:35 AM
DDL is available for $4.72

http://buy.soundblaster.com

I think I also need a Toslink Miniplug cable for optical connection from my X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard to Logitech Z-5500. http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=33 Another unavoidable hidden cost.

Then I am going to try if sound coming from digital S/PDIF with DDL better or worse than the analog sound for Crysis

BrianG
08-14-08, 03:16 PM
It won't sound any different that you can perceive. DDL comes in handy when trying to eliminate cable mess. If you do not have a need to do so, stick with the analog outputs unless you have a low end X-Fi with cheap DACs.

DDL is great for HTPCs and for using HTIAB speaker set ups.

GTstrudl
08-14-08, 05:54 PM
So the question is which DACs is better? X-FI XtremeGamer or Z-5500?

CaptNKILL
08-14-08, 06:49 PM
Probably won't be noticeable unless you're using a speaker system that cost 3 times as much as your computer.

BrianG
08-14-08, 09:36 PM
So the question is which DACs is better? X-FI XtremeGamer or Z-5500?

It's five bucks. If you are feeling froggy, go for it.

GTstrudl
08-14-08, 10:52 PM
Somepeople have money. Somepeople have time. Very few people have both.

Brazen
09-03-08, 10:40 PM
And any advice for someone who has not even cabled up yet? I can see why its probably not worth switching to DDL and a toslink if you've already got all your analogue wires running to your amp... but if you've just bought the amp and the XFi Fatality Pro... should I go the way of the $4.72 download and a 10m long toslink instead of 3 x analogue cables?

Brazen
09-04-08, 04:17 AM
just decided to try it out - downloaded the DDL thing, and bought a toslink cable like the one linked in the first post... but i get no sound.

I've switched the I/O jack to digital in my XFi Fatality Gamer Pro software... but nothing coming from my speakers via my amp... the cable just doesnt seem right - its an optical 3.5 jack to the square optical plug.... but the soundcard architectur inside doesnt look like it has optical functionality... advice? Is the 3.5 jack not meant to be an optical 3.5 but another type of cable with a stereo 3.5 jack to square toslink?

LordJuanlo
09-04-08, 04:34 AM
A free (http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/90887-redocnexk-released-realtime-5-1-ac3-encoder.html) alternative

EciDemon
09-04-08, 04:36 AM
the 3.5 mm jack in the back is not for Toslink, its quaxial.

For toslink you need either the digital io addon adaptor, or the front bay for your soundcard

The quaxial cable should look like a 3.5mm mono jack for sound card and RCA Male for reciver.
Both cables produces same end result.

Id buy this for sure, but alas i got no credit card working in there store.

Brazen
09-04-08, 10:24 AM
Cheers for that - so just to confirm:

Having enabled DDL for the flexijack digital IO jack on my Xfi, if I connect a mono 3.5 plug to that jack, and the white RCA of the other end to the coaxial digital in on an amp - between them the 5.1 signal will be carried, decoded, and played through my surround speakers?

If thats what you are syaing then great - I'll hook up a 3.5 to RCA coaxial and see how I go :)

EciDemon
09-12-08, 08:45 AM
Cheers for that - so just to confirm:

Having enabled DDL for the flexijack digital IO jack on my Xfi, if I connect a mono 3.5 plug to that jack, and the white RCA of the other end to the coaxial digital in on an amp - between them the 5.1 signal will be carried, decoded, and played through my surround speakers?

If thats what you are syaing then great - I'll hook up a 3.5 to RCA coaxial and see how I go :)

I have a setup where puter is using coaxial (i also have stereo analogue connected if I want to use that) and my consoles on toslink. Toslink works for the puter too, but the connector is on the front bay and I dont want cables there.

With the free app LordJuanlo recomended I get my surround the digital way. Anyways, your reciver should do the decoding and soundcard set to pass through (in my case) or ddl live encoding in your case.

How did it go?
Im sorry, i forgot to followup on the thread.